Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    entropys said:
    vmarks said:
    entropys said:
    vmarks said:
    entropys said:
    I am thinking of getting a mechless Kenwood with wireless carplay, and installing a reverse camera and the Kenwood dash cam at the same time. This dash cam has lane guidance and distance to car in front warnings that work with the head unit.  Useful for the little entropys as they start to drive.
    Kenwood has just upgraded the interface too and it looks like an improvement on older versions.

That said, Kenwood’s Australian models seem to require a cable connecting to the Vehicle Speed Sensor wire for wireless carplay to work, which makes install harder.  Did the pioneer unit not require this?  Maybe the GPS antenna connection was sufficient for Apple to enable wireless carplay?
    This install did not require vehicle speed sense hooked up. If we had installed in a Honda, for example, we would have had that signal easily available from the car side.
    Hmm, I would expect you are getting the movement pulse from the GPS that would be the same as the speed sensor as far as carplay is concerned. I wonder what would happen in a tunnel?
    I drove for a few days using Wireless CarPlay without the GPS antenna or a speed signal connected. The radio worked fine, it just wouldn't set the clock (because no satellite reception was available without the antenna.) CarPlay does not require the speed signal as far as I can tell.
    It is a new requirement for wireless carplay. If you don’t get a speed signal, you get this message. I have seen it spoofed using a GPS signal though as the motion of the vehicle sends updates down the cable from the GPS antenna. the other alternative solution to connecting to the VSS wire is to connect the unit to the OBD2 port to get the required information.

Yeah, I'm thinking this is a Kenwood requirement, not Wireless CarPlay. It also wasn't an issue when we used the Alpine ILX-107 Wireless CarPlay unit. Note that Kenwood and JVC have the same corporate ownership, so JVC could have the same requirement.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    vmarks said:

linkman said:
    Is this the least expensive wireless Carplay unit available?
    It's close:
    • Alpine ILX-107 = $619
    • Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX = $474
    • Pioneer AVIC-W6400NEX = $487
    • JVC KW-M855BW = $599
    • JVC KW-V950BW = $699
    • Kenwood DDX8706S ($899.95) includes a CD / DVD player and the DMX9706 ($799.95) adds HD Radio® and has gold-plated 5.0-volt pre-outs. The DNR876S ($1399.95) also includes HD Radio and uses onboard Garmin® navigation.
    These are the Wireless CarPlay options so far.
    This is getting better. It seemed that about one year ago wireless Carplay came with a $400 premium. There was previously a ridiculous disparity in prices on units that were similar with the only major difference being wired vs. wireless Carplay. The JVC KW-M650BT at $349 and JVC KW-M855BW at $599 are comparable but that $250 adder for wireless Carplay still raises my blood pressure.

Somehow I missed the April 2019 AI review of the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX.