WarnerMedia announces HBO Max with content from CNN, DC, Adult Swim & more

Posted:
in General Discussion
WarnerMedia on Tuesday revealed a long-promised streaming service as HBO Max, which while including HBO shows will go beyond them to offer content from a variety of Warner brands.

The
The "Lord of the Rings" trilogy is a New Line property.


Names on the table include Warner Bros., New Line, DC Entertainment, CNN, TNT, TBS, truTV, The CW, Turner Classic Movies, Cartoon Network/Adult Swim, Crunchyroll, Rooster Teeth, and Looney Tunes, CNBC said. Max will also feature original shows that have yet to be announced.

Critically for some viewers, the service will become the exclusive home of the 1990s sitcom "Friends." Netflix paid $80 million to keep the show on its service through 2019, but those rights will transfer when HBO Max launches in spring 2020. Other confirmed shows include "Batwoman," "Pretty Little Liars," and "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

Prices for the service are not yet public. HBO Now, however, is already $14.99 per month.

The news ramps up the challenge for Apple TV+, launching this fall. That service will already be competing against streaming heavyweights like Netflix, Disney+, and Amazon Prime Video, and it's not yet clear if Apple plans to offer any third-party movies or shows.

Without that the company may have trouble attracting subscribers, though senior VP Eddy Cue has claimed that it's working on "creating the best" content rather than "creating the most."

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 8
    lbarry74lbarry74 Posts: 12member
    Apple is completely delusional or just don’t plan on being a serious contender in original content. Anybody remembers Carpool Karaoke…??? 
    SoundJudgment
  • Reply 2 of 8
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 829member
    lbarry74 said:
    Apple is completely delusional or just don’t plan on being a serious contender in original content. Anybody remembers Carpool Karaoke…??? 
     What does that have to do with their streaming service?  It started out as a a recurring segment on the Late Show with Jame Cordon..  In 2016 Apple and CBS reached a first window licensing agreement that made Apple Music the home of a television series adaptation. It's also currently being shown as of this year so I am not sure why you are asking if anyone remembers it?  Haha  If you are going to trash talk Apple at least know what the heck it is you are talking about.. 

    I think you meant Planet of the Apps... which technically was Apple's first series...
    fastasleepAppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 8
    the monkthe monk Posts: 56member
    lbarry74 said:
    Apple is completely delusional or just don’t plan on being a serious contender in original content. Anybody remembers Carpool Karaoke…??? 
    Strange how people keep on mentioning that as if it's the ultimate, original rejoiner to why Apple wil fail in this venture. It's been said before, Apple was testing the business, and reality programming is the cheapest way to do so. It was best they spend billions out of the gate. I'm sure they've discussed internally why those shows didn't work out. You cannot build a business if you have no experience in failure and if you do not take risks,  The co-founder of Apple failed many times.


    fastasleepAppleExposedbshank
  • Reply 4 of 8
    lorin schultzlorin schultz Posts: 2,744member
    Did Warner give any indication where this new service will be available? Is it exclusive to the United States?
  • Reply 5 of 8
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 17unconfirmed, member
    Sounds like a potentially expensive offering that will have a hard time gaining traction. Of course, the devil is in the details and the biggest question is how much will it cost. Many such services vying for consumers to agree to significant monthly fees is going to produce more losers than winners. Greed will be the undoing of those seeking a piece of this action. Keep the cost at an attractive point and sheer volume will produce fabulous profits. Pile on the content to up the monthly fee and you run the risk of pricing yourself out of what appears to be developing into a crowded space. It was really straightforward back in the day when Netflix had a ton of content that was more than reasonably priced. Opting for Netflix was, for many, a no-brainer. Now it’s getting tricky. 

    If content providers are proceeding on the premise that four, five, six services approaching $20 a month each are going to fly, well, that’s a huge miscalculation. Most consumers will simply not buy all-in to such a scenario. 
    Japhey
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Carmbo said:
    Sounds like a potentially expensive offering that will have a hard time gaining traction. Of course, the devil is in the details and the biggest question is how much will it cost. Many such services vying for consumers to agree to significant monthly fees is going to produce more losers than winners. Greed will be the undoing of those seeking a piece of this action. Keep the cost at an attractive point and sheer volume will produce fabulous profits. Pile on the content to up the monthly fee and you run the risk of pricing yourself out of what appears to be developing into a crowded space. It was really straightforward back in the day when Netflix had a ton of content that was more than reasonably priced. Opting for Netflix was, for many, a no-brainer. Now it’s getting tricky. 

    If content providers are proceeding on the premise that four, five, six services approaching $20 a month each are going to fly, well, that’s a huge miscalculation. Most consumers will simply not buy all-in to such a scenario. 
    The problem is the ego of all the different content holders thinking that their show/s are the best and therefore consumers will treat it as essential to their lifestyle. The trouble is  ALL of these content providers are in the category of luxury(non essential) items, soap, food, water and electricity are essential items not streaming shows. The longer it takes for the content providers to realize this the more risk of the industry fall around their ears there is. 

    Apple could have a good market if it bundles the Apple News with Apple TV+ and doesn’t charge any extra for the two services. Time will tell which way Apple will go but I predict that the other content holders are going to choke on their gluttony.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 17unconfirmed, member
    Best way Apple could go would be to offer up Apple TV+ for a small monthly fee,  around $5 a month. At that price, there is great potential for many to sign on, regardless of what the other streaming services offer. There are enough potential subscribers out there to easily bring in a lot more than the cost of producing original content. At a low enough price, it’s not necessary to deliver a vast library, especially if the content you do deliver is of a high quality. Basically this would position Apple’s service as complimentary rather than being in competition with other pricier services. Less is more. Jobs would approve, I think.


  • Reply 8 of 8
    matrix077matrix077 Posts: 753member
    Carmbo said:
    Best way Apple could go would be to offer up Apple TV+ for a small monthly fee,  around $5 a month. At that price, there is great potential for many to sign on, regardless of what the other streaming services offer. There are enough potential subscribers out there to easily bring in a lot more than the cost of producing original content. At a low enough price, it’s not necessary to deliver a vast library, especially if the content you do deliver is of a high quality. Basically this would position Apple’s service as complimentary rather than being in competition with other pricier services. Less is more. Jobs would approve, I think.


    $5 is a good price. I’m definitely in at that price. Heck, $30 a month with TV+, News, Arcade, Music and unlimited iCloud storage and I’m still IN. 
Sign In or Register to comment.