Back to school 2019: should you choose Apple's Mac or an iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    entropys said:
    The real question  is 2019 MBA vs 13 Inch 2019 MBP?

The iPad, as much as I love it, is still an optional extra.
    Yeh, without a quality input mechanism (A good keyboard with a mouse) the iPad remains primarily an output device.

But, that said, as textbooks go increasingly towards e-Books, a quality output device is needed.   Nobody likes reading books at a desk -- which it the primary place for a laptop to be used.
    With a good keyboard and a mouse the iPad's primary place is a desk too. What's its difference from a laptop? OK the iPad is detachable but a computer offers more interactivity in terms of content creation during reading, they will clip notes, assemble these is documents, download course material, especially videos, and so on... They may always get an iPad as an optional device, but their primary device must be a computer. Since they are in the learning phase of their life acquiring computer literacy is more important than ease of use.
    Yes, it is detacheable -- which makes it a traditional iPad.  You sort of shot down your own argument there. 

As for the rest, there is no technical reason why an iPad with a quality keyboard and mouse can't do all of those things well.

The difference between the iPad with a keyboard and mouse versus a MacBook will more likely be on the more robust and flexible MacOS versus the simplified iPad OS -- once the hardware constraints are overcome and Apple takes its leg irons off of the iPad OS.
    I suggest don’t let your expectations go that far regarding iPad and iPad OS, since while iPad evolves, Macbooks will integrate more and more to become maybe niche but the most powerful. The integration of two CPUs points to such a direction. The addition of a mouse/trackpad won’t provide much leverage to iPad against Macbook.

IMHO the choice of a device for college students is more of a pedagogical/curricular issue than a technical issue. Those guys must also graduate as computer literates, especially given how restricting and uni-dimensional ordinary digital life is: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Twitch, WhatsApp... They must think and go beyond those.
    edited July 2019
  • Reply 22 of 23
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    entropys said:
    The real question  is 2019 MBA vs 13 Inch 2019 MBP?

The iPad, as much as I love it, is still an optional extra.
    Yeh, without a quality input mechanism (A good keyboard with a mouse) the iPad remains primarily an output device.

But, that said, as textbooks go increasingly towards e-Books, a quality output device is needed.   Nobody likes reading books at a desk -- which it the primary place for a laptop to be used.
    With a good keyboard and a mouse the iPad's primary place is a desk too. What's its difference from a laptop? OK the iPad is detachable but a computer offers more interactivity in terms of content creation during reading, they will clip notes, assemble these is documents, download course material, especially videos, and so on... They may always get an iPad as an optional device, but their primary device must be a computer. Since they are in the learning phase of their life acquiring computer literacy is more important than ease of use.
    Yes, it is detacheable -- which makes it a traditional iPad.  You sort of shot down your own argument there. 

As for the rest, there is no technical reason why an iPad with a quality keyboard and mouse can't do all of those things well.

The difference between the iPad with a keyboard and mouse versus a MacBook will more likely be on the more robust and flexible MacOS versus the simplified iPad OS -- once the hardware constraints are overcome and Apple takes its leg irons off of the iPad OS.
    I suggest don’t let your expectations go that far regarding iPad and iPad OS, since while iPad evolves, Macbooks will integrate more and more to become maybe niche but the most powerful. The integration of two CPUs points to such a direction. The addition of a mouse/trackpad won’t provide much leverage to iPad against Macbook.

IMHO the choice of a device for college students is more of a pedagogical/curricular issue than a technical issue. Those guys must also graduate as computer literates, especially given how restricting and uni-dimensional ordinary digital life is: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Twitch, WhatsApp... They must think and go beyond those.
    What it will do is remove the artificial constraints Apple has placed on the iPad that limit its functionality -- its ability to perform adequately as a "real computer" as some have phrased it (meaning to be able to perform traditional tasks such as word processing and spreadsheets well).

But as I said, MacOS will likely continue to be the more powerful, flexible robust of the two OS's.  And that will be the primary differentiator between the two.
    You seem to think the differentiator will be more powerful hardware -- and that might be.  But, right now, the average iPad Pro is probably as powerful as the average MacBook, But currently Apple has placed its own constraints on the Mac in forcing it to try to imitate an iPad with its thin, light, minimalist design.    If Apple opens up the MacBook to its full potential it's hardware could become significantly more powerful and flexible than that of the thin, light, minimalist, simple to use iPad.

In short, I think Apple has artificially hobbled both platforms:  The iPad lacks a mouse and cursor which blocks it from doing traditional 9laptop) tasks well.  And the MacBook line has been hobbled by trying to imitate the iPad's thin, light, minimalist design.  I look forward to Apple lifting both constraints and letting each platform reach its full potential.
    firelock
  • Reply 23 of 23
    "Typically, most course management systems recommend any tests or quizzes be taken on a physical computer."

As opposed to that imaginary computer I always want to use. :wink: