Apple's first BBC comedy production is 'Alabama' starring Imelda Staunton

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    So, it’s not out yet, and no one’s seen it or read it, but you’re....concerned? 
    It is notoriously difficult to make a TV Comedy series that appeals to both UK and US audiences that isn't pretty bland and safe.
    Much British Comedy does not travel well especially to the USA (eg Last of the Summer Wine). Granted, shows like 'Friends' and '30 Rock' were/are pretty popular here but they are pretty safe shows.

Playing safe maybe what Apple has in mind for this. To me that is a shame especially if the script is half decent.

I wonder how the original Coupling would have done in the US. It's a pity it was remade. It is one of the funniest British comedies I've seen.
  • Reply 22 of 23
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Blunt said:
    I have a bad feeling about these Apple productions. They will be safe and about diversity and shit like that. To make good shows you need a more edgy approach. Pollitcal correctness is boring as hell.
    People keep saying this, but when was the last good show that was politically incorrect?

I think the limiting factor is going be Apple's family friendly focus, not the political correctness.
  • Reply 23 of 23
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Blunt said:
    I have a bad feeling about these Apple productions. They will be safe and about diversity and shit like that. To make good shows you need a more edgy approach. Pollitcal correctness is boring as hell.
    Ie. there might be some female or people of color leads. The horror.