Apple uses Apollo 11's 50th anniversary to tease 'For All Mankind' on Apple TV+

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple on Monday premiered a second trailer for "For All Mankind," this time referencing the upcoming 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon landing on July 20.

For All Mankind

The spot features several people behind the show, including Ben Nedivi, Maril Davis, Michael Okuda, and Matt Wolpert. The crew talks about the historical significance of Apollo 11, the show's attempts at authenticity, and an optimistic vision of space exploration.

"For All Mankind" is actually a fictional story set in an alternate history in which the Space Race never ended. The Soviets become the first to land on the Moon, prompting the U.S. to amp up its competition.

In a related Collider interview about the show, Moore said that its genesis involved Apple TV+ co-president Zack Van Amburg, formerly with Sony Pictures Television.

"He and I had briefly talked about doing a show set at NASA in the '70s, around the Skylab era, about many years ago, and it never really got off the ground, so we didn't talk about it much further," Moore remarked.

On Apple's alleged script censorship, Moore noted that he didn't run up against many boundaries in the first place.

"It's not a show that's about graphic content, or violence or sex," he said. "I didn't have any of that, as part of what we were doing. It just wasn't an issue for me, in general. It felt like a very loose, creative environment. I was pretty much able to tell the story, in the way that I wanted to tell it. I never ran into barriers."

Apple TV+ is launching this fall, and will likely have more details revealed at a September press event. A wide assortment of original shows are planned, but it's not yet known if Apple will offer any third-party material like Netflix, Hulu, or Amazon Prime Video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Yesterday PBS had a special about the whole moon landing history. I mean from beginning to end covering every detail. The documentary was like 5 hours long and it was amazing. The transfers of 60s footage made it look like it was filmed yesterday.

I wondered if Apples fictional story will be as good.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/chasing-moon/
  • Reply 2 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Yesterday PBS had a special about the whole moon landing history. I mean from beginning to end covering every detail. The documentary was like 5 hours long and it was amazing. The transfers of 60s footage made it look like it was filmed yesterday.

I haven't seen that one yet — I'll definitely check it out — but if you liked that, be sure to see From the Earth to the Moon too:
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120570/
    AppleExposedchasm
  • Reply 3 of 16
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member

I haven't seen that one yet — I'll definitely check it out — but if you liked that, be sure to see From the Earth to the Moon too:

It was a very thorough documentary and I learned things I didn't know before.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member

While we’re on the subject, BBC’s 11-episode podcast “13 Minutes to the Moon” just wrapped up this weekend.  Also worth seeking out.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Maybe it was good because PBS have nothing to sell you, so the focus is content. Thank God and Fred Rogers for public broadcasting.
    minicoffee
  • Reply 6 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

While we’re on the subject, BBC’s 11-episode podcast “13 Minutes to the Moon” just wrapped up this weekend.  Also worth seeking out.
    Name of show it aired on?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Although I like the storyline, the trailer is showing some really bad acting. Not a fan of that logo design either 
  • Reply 8 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    The magic and the majesty of Appolo did not lie in the achievements, the scientific discovery or even in the bravery of those involved.
    It laid in ALL of America -- from the black laborer, to the white executive, to the middle class families watching on their tiny black and white TVs, to the politicians, as well as the technicians, engineers and astronauts who did the actual work ALL pulling together in united effort to do rise above and accomplish the impossible.   And it was crowned by the fact that the U.S. did not claim the moon as its own but instead claimed the mission and all it accomplished for the glory and betterment and future of all mankind --- Communist and Capitalist alike.

I doubt anybody born since then can understand that true meaning of Apollo.
    And, I doubt it will ever happen again because, as it was happening the country was beginning to be torn apart by the efforts to end racism and the deaths of 50,000+ American boys in a senseless, unwinnable war in Vietnam.   The country never recovered from that and is now more divided than ever and, instead of focusing on what is right and shared, higher goals t is mostly focused on doing what is best for ME.

Apollo represents the pinnacle of what America really stands for (or stood for) and still purports to represent:  A people united in hope for the future, peace and the betterment of all mankind.
    yojimbo007fastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 16
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Apple’s move/show line up is looking real good ! Cant wait ...
    lolliver
  • Reply 10 of 16
    The magic and the majesty of Appolo did not lie in the achievements, the scientific discovery or even in the bravery of those involved.
    It laid in ALL of America -- from the black laborer, to the white executive, to the middle class families watching on their tiny black and white TVs, to the politicians, as well as the technicians, engineers and astronauts who did the actual work ALL pulling together in united effort to do rise above and accomplish the impossible.   And it was crowned by the fact that the U.S. did not claim the moon as its own but instead claimed the mission and all it accomplished for the glory and betterment and future of all mankind --- Communist and Capitalist alike.

And, I doubt it will ever happen again because, as it was happening the country was beginning to be torn apart by the efforts to end racism and the deaths of 50,000+ American boys in a senseless, unwinnable war in Vietnam.   The country never recovered from that and is now more divided than ever and, instead of focusing on what is right and shared, higher goals t is mostly focused on doing what is best for ME.

Apollo represents the pinnacle of what America really stands for (or stood for) and still purports to represent:  A people united in hope for the future, peace and the betterment of all mankind.
    👍👍👏
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 11 of 16

Beautifully expressed!
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 16
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    They have the American flag in this one! I guess I can watch it then. And I'm not even American. I just hate leftists who hate the US flag. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Although I like the storyline, the trailer is showing some really bad acting. Not a fan of that logo design either 
    Thanks for your hot take on a few seconds of acting. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 14 of 16
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

Of course it won't compare to the PBS effort. 
  • Reply 15 of 16
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member

They have the American flag in this one! I guess I can watch it then. And I'm not even American. I just hate leftists who hate the US flag. 
    You are I hope, being sarcastic in regards to the conservatives criticism of the movie "First Man" not recreating the "moment" the Apollo astronauts planted Old Glory on the lunar surface. Of course the joke was on the critics since it was not a dramatic Iwo Jima flag raising but more like a drawn out assembling of a table from Ikea, no swelling orchestra and soaring string section, sorry. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 16
    You're kidding, right?