US Attorney General Barr doubles down on encryption backdoors call

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sdw2001 said:
    Barr what about the voting machines? Those didn't have strong encryptions and look where we are now.....
    That’s silly.  No voting machines were hacked.  
    Really?   Since there is NO WAY to know that, how can you make that statement?
    The Touch Screen Voting machines used in Pennsylvania can be easily hacked (and have been) but, by design, are impossible to recount, verify or audit.   Whatever vote count that machine reports is the ONLY vote count.   There is NO WAY possible to verify it -- to know if it is accurate or not.  If the machine is hacked to alter the vote count, there is simply no way to know it.

To further muddy the waters, the manufacturers of those machines refuse any inspection of their code.  And, in fact, in many cases that code is hopelessly out dated -- going back to Windows XP days.

It is a disaster waiting to happen -- and probably already has.  We just don't realize yet.  We are sitting here thinking our voting systems are sacred and unassailable when there is no bank in the world that would count its cash as sloppily as we count votes.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    ivanh said:
    mike1 said:
    So, does the federal government want the same back doors to apply to their fully encrypted systems? Just wondering.
    The federal government can start banning encryption.  China will be very happy. See what happens, Barr.
    Barr would be even happier....
  • Reply 43 of 53
    ivanh said:
    Us Barr a communist?
    Has he read the book “1984”?
    Does Barr want U.S. to be a police state?
    Does Barr want to eavesdrop everyone’s conversation too?
    "If ya gotta ask the question, ya ain't gonna like the answer"
    tallgrasstechiejony0
  • Reply 44 of 53
    All this argument is unnecessary, all that is needed is to allow China to install the world’s 5g systems and then Barr and co can ask China for any info they want. 

O wait, we can not allow that as China has back doors in their equipment 
    jony0
  • Reply 45 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Congress could easily solve this issue by simply passing a law requiring that all owners of devices with any such encryption or security features provide the passcode for the on the device to the government via a provided portal. Non compliance is punishable by fine or imprisonment. 

As something of an aside, I am wondering if a creative argument could be (or has been) made that encryption technology is, in the context of the US Constitution, an "Arm" within the meaning of the second amendment. "Arms" might include any means of protection ready go
  • Reply 46 of 53
    fly8fly8 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    The last sentence in the article says it all. Encryption backdoors allow bad actors access to anyone's data, but at the same time those same bad actors will ignore the law ('cause, like, they're criminals?) and provide their own end-end encryption solution. It's the same damn argument gun-control advocates use. The ones who want to illegal access to guns will ignore gun control laws. Meanwhile, law-abiding citizens are penalized.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    eightzero said:
    Congress could easily solve this issue by simply passing a law requiring that all owners of devices with any such encryption or security features provide the passcode for the on the device to the government via a provided portal. Non compliance is punishable by fine or imprisonment. 

As something of an aside, I am wondering if a creative argument could be (or has been) made that encryption technology is, in the context of the US Constitution, an "Arm" within the meaning of the second amendment. "Arms" might include any means of protection ready go
    (Emphasis mine)

Hard to tell if you’re joking or not. I assume you’re joking. If you’re not joking... ARE YOU JOKING?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 48 of 53
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member

Sure I’m going to trust the government to stop the bad guys.

cgWerksSpamSandwich
  • Reply 49 of 53
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    davgreg said:
    Not sure where this clown went to school, but our nation was founded upon the concept that our rights are intrinsic to our humanity- they were not granted by any king or government and cannot be abrogated by any king or government.
    Except that we've largely tossed the basis for that foundation, and then play postmodern reader-responsive games with anything that is left. Our founders also warned us about most of the stuff that has happened... but what do they know? They were mostly old white men.

I suppose people can wake up, and things change, but I'm really not all that hopeful about that anymore.

davgreg said:
    He might also be advised that all power held by any government comes from and with the consent of the governed- that would be the citizenry. The same document that describes those concepts states that it is the right of the citizen to abolish and replace any government that becomes abusive of those rights.
    They have to actually be paying attention, though. The good news is that the structure/mechanisms are in place to fix it (yet), but the citizenry have to pay attention and take action.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    eightzero said:

(Emphasis mine)

Hard to tell if you’re joking or not. I assume you’re joking. If you’re not joking... ARE YOU JOKING?
    I am serious. And stop calling me Shirley.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

(Emphasis mine)

Your words say you are serious, but your Bluto profile pic says you are not.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

(Emphasis mine)

The fight over encryption isn't over. Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:
    eightzero said:

(Emphasis mine)

The fight over encryption isn't over. Nothing is over until we say it is. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no.