Anti-robocall legislation sails through House by a landslide

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Who are the 3 morons who voted for it?..🤦🏽‍♂️
    Actually, they voted against the bill (but for robocalling).  

Andy Biggs (Arizona 5th) Republican
    Thomas Massie (Kentucky 4th) Republican 
    Justin Amash (Michigan 3rd) Independent

Who knows why?   Maybe they got campaign contributions from the industry.   Maybe they believe that "the market" should take care of this, although I don't know how that's possible in the case of unwanted robocalls.   Maybe they simply didn't know what they were voting for (or against).   It turns out that it's quite common for our representatives and senators not to read the bills they're voting on.  

But I actually am impressed that all of the usual insane idiots actually voted for the bill.   That's so unusual today.   
  • Reply 22 of 33
    MacPro said:
    Can they take a look at the TV ads that are 2-300% louder than the programs again, please? I thought that had been voted on almost unanimously, a while back.
    One of top reasons I cancelled cable 15 years ago... Don't mind paying but, bridle at having to watch inane, loud commercials for Taco Bell's new cheesy fries. (Are they trying to kill us?)
  • Reply 23 of 33
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member

Until it imposes the same penalties on Congresscritters' robo calls, I'll remain skeptical.
    I've never received a single political robocall, at least not in the last 10 years.   95% of the robocalls I receive are either "we can give you credit", "you've won a vacation" or in Chinese (Mandarin, I assume).   
  • Reply 24 of 33
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    AirOgre said:
    dysamoria said:
    Who are the 3 morons who voted for it?..ߤ氟ヲzwj;♂️
    You mean against it?

Voting no:

Andy Biggs (R-AZ)
    Thomas Massie (R-KY)
    Justin Amash (I-MI) [Formerly Republican, now Independent]
    Tucson Arizona has a lot of call centers, which may be why Andy Biggs voted no.  But still not sure I understand why because the vast majority of call centers are legit customer support lines.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    1348513485 Posts: 360member
    Hmmmmm.

P.S.S. Coincidentally, on average, people only write 300,000 words in their lifetime. :)
    Hmm. I've apparently been doing the work of 150 other people. I'm going to have to start charging for this.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    zoetmb said:

Until it imposes the same penalties on Congresscritters' robo calls, I'll remain skeptical.
    I've never received a single political robocall, at least not in the last 10 years.   95% of the robocalls I receive are either "we can give you credit", "you've won a vacation" or in Chinese (Mandarin, I assume).   
    I get them all the fracking time.  Especially around election time, or when there's a hot button issue that some PAC wants to pressure legislators about.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    yoyo2222yoyo2222 Posts: 144member
    Don't get too excited. Mitch will block it from even being debated in the Senate.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,955member
    ireland said:
    We solved this ages ago in our home. We bought a replica retro dial phone for making house calls that has a physical switch on the bottom that completely silences the ringer.
    Doesn’t solve the problem when they call your mobile. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    bonobobbonobob Posts: 386member
    JFC_PA said:
    For my iPhone I have an ironclad rule. Either it’s a recognized number from my contact list or they leave a voicemail. Everything else gets deleted. No voicemail? No problem: delete. My landline isn’t plugged in until I want to call out. And yet between my plugging it in and my punching in the number I wanted to call I’ve received spam calls!
    I do the same. Additionally, I make the effort to 'Block' all those numbers. :)
    I've given up on blocking numbers.  Most of them just spoof a different number every time.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    bonobob said:
    JFC_PA said:
    For my iPhone I have an ironclad rule. Either it’s a recognized number from my contact list or they leave a voicemail. Everything else gets deleted. No voicemail? No problem: delete. My landline isn’t plugged in until I want to call out. And yet between my plugging it in and my punching in the number I wanted to call I’ve received spam calls!
    I've given up on blocking numbers.  Most of them just spoof a different number every time.
    Very rarely have I had a repeat number.

The good news is that iOS 13 will now send these calls to VM. So far I've had nary a VM left. The only problem with the OS funneling numbers not in Contacts are that you might miss some important calls and there are occupations that simply can't enable this feature. Hopefully people will realize that they need to leave a VM or send a preemptive text when calling from an unknown number.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    13485 said:
    Hmmmmm.

P.S.S. Coincidentally, on average, people only write 300,000 words in their lifetime. :)
    Hmm. I've apparently been doing the work of 150 other people. I'm going to have to start charging for this.
    Hmmmm. Haha! Oops.

• Reply 32 of 33

bonobob said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Yep. I hear you. That just not be allowed, also. :)

• Reply 33 of 33

Soli said:
    bonobob said:
    JFC_PA said:
    Very rarely have I had a repeat number.

The good news is that iOS 13 will now send these calls to VM. So far I've had nary a VM left. The only problem with the OS funneling numbers not in Contacts are that you might miss some important calls and there are occupations that simply can't enable this feature. Hopefully people will realize that they need to leave a VM or send a preemptive text when calling from an unknown number.
    I hear you. But a professional company will leave a message, Doctor's offices, Gov, etc.