Survey says 76% of retail IT decision makers prefer Apple hardware in stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited July 2019
In a survey of 700 "retail IT decision makers," 76% said that Apple tech is better to use in stores than either Windows or Android, according to the Apple-focused device management firm Jamf.

Apple Pay

This is despite the fact that 48% said their business uses a mix of two or three platforms in reality. Jamf commissioned the survey from an outside party, Vanson Bourne. Those polled were spread across the U.S., U.K., Japan, Germany, France, and Australia.

Of the people whose environments include Windows or Android, 82% were said to be coping with unspecified "problems," and 87% preferred Apple. 89% of the poll group said they wished their organization needed just one mobile device management (MDM) system.

"While mobile technology has been broadly adopted by retailers small and large, many applications of the technology are still only single-purpose," wrote Jamf's director of alliances, Josh Jagdfeld. "iPad and iPhone, along with the power of the Apple app ecosystem, are being used in-store globally to allow retailers to get the most from their devices and optimize processes, engage teams and enhance the broader customer experience. However, even with the multitude of benefits that mobile technology makes possible, retailers are still facing challenges when it comes to finding, deploying and managing devices across multiple applications and workflows."

Once hesitant to cater to the enterprise market, Apple has increasingly focused on in it in the past few years. In October 2018 for instance IBM revealed that its partnership with Apple had seen over 277,000 Mac and iOS devices deployed.

Much of Apple's retail emphasis is of course centered around Apple Pay, since it improves the appeal of iPhones and Apple Watches, and the company claims a small fee from each transaction.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    That damned Walled Garden  ...  :). Love it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    bigtdsbigtds Posts: 167member
    Well I prefer to drive a Bentley. But my budget doesn't allow that.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 7
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member
    bigtds said:
    The price difference between a PC/Android device and a Mac/iOS device isn't anywhere near the difference between an average car and a Bentley.  And the cost savings of the time spent configuring + maintaining a PC/Android device as compared to a Mac/iOS device over its lifetime will certainly pay for what little difference there is.  Cars, not so much.
    StrangeDayschasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 7
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    It appears the Windows IT dufus’ of old have either retired or died off.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    auxio said:
    bigtds said:
    The price difference between a PC/Android device and a Mac/iOS device isn't anywhere near the difference between an average car and a Bentley.  And the cost savings of the time spent configuring + maintaining a PC/Android device as compared to a Mac/iOS device over its lifetime will certainly pay for what little difference there is.  Cars, not so much.
    Agreed — big players like IBM and others demonstrated that TCO is lower with their Mac users than than Windows PC users. Thus, it just makes dollars and cents to use Mac. 
    chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 7
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    auxio said:
    bigtds said:

Yes it is.

When schools need 1,000 devices they go for the crappiest bottom of the barrel junk(Windows/chromebooks) compared to iPad/Macs because they save enough money to buy themselves a Bentley.

Your post is not wrong but businesses/schools are not looking to push out one device.

BTW they don't give a rats a** about savings in future maintenance. They want their Bentley NOW!!!
    edited July 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Schools are looking for devices they can restrict and ChromeBooks are apparently easier for them to manage. They're not necessarily using price as their primary criterion, but if there is a lower purchase price then that's worth taking advantage of. However, that attitude seems to be ignoring the costs of device disposal, which I anticipate would be lower with Apple devices. It's a tough decision with a multitude of critics waiting to castigate you for any perceived mistakes.