gregtxgregtx Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    Buying music? No AirPods? LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    IreneWIreneW Posts: 305member
    IreneW said:
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:
    LOL.  I've known about Apple Music's first 3 months free deal since the debut, but I've never had any desire to try it.  Why?  I've always been happy to buy music, and I'm not a big fan of the modern stuff coming out anyway.  This is probably true of many people in my age group (48 and up).  Then again, I don't even own AirPods, so I'm clearly not a huge music fan.  Even so, I'm curious as to the average age of Apple Music users.

I’m 47 and still listen to new music. For someone like me who listens to music all the time (have several AirPlay speakers set up all over the house) it is definitely worth the $10/month. Even more so considering I like pretty much like all genres of music and would cost me a fortune to purchase 1% of what I listen to.
    "New" and "Music" is an oxymoron.  Mostly it's a single, lonely, monotone voice backed by Thump-Thump.
    Grumpy old guy much?
    Yeh.   So, did you have a point?
    Yes. You sound exactly like the "grown up" generation has always done, not even trying to listen or understand that music evolves and expands. There has _never_ been so much and so varied music available, old and new, as today. You don't have to like hip hop or grind or atonality - there's new music produced and made available for streaming in every conceivable genre, also those considered "new" (and unlistenable "monotone") decades or centuries ago.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,389member
    IreneW said:
    mjtomlin said:
    jdw said:
    LOL.  I've known about Apple Music's first 3 months free deal since the debut, but I've never had any desire to try it.  Why?  I've always been happy to buy music, and I'm not a big fan of the modern stuff coming out anyway.  This is probably true of many people in my age group (48 and up).  Then again, I don't even own AirPods, so I'm clearly not a huge music fan.  Even so, I'm curious as to the average age of Apple Music users.

I’m 47 and still listen to new music. For someone like me who listens to music all the time (have several AirPlay speakers set up all over the house) it is definitely worth the $10/month. Even more so considering I like pretty much like all genres of music and would cost me a fortune to purchase 1% of what I listen to.
    "New" and "Music" is an oxymoron.  Mostly it's a single, lonely, monotone voice backed by Thump-Thump.
    Grumpy old guy much?
    Yeh.   So, did you have a point?
    She already made it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,389member
    I'm old and gravitate to older music from my formative and somewhat later years. I tried Apple Music for the three month period and bought another three, but didn't use it much so I dropped it.

It was also disappointing that very often I'd ask Siri for a song and either it wasn't available (which always surprised me) or it was a different version. Bottom line is not getting the version I want.

There may be an online index/guide to AM, but I never found one. It would be helpful to understand what playlists are available. I've tried to get Siri to play some kind of soft, late-night Jazz but instead get 'smooth-Jazz'. Not the same thing. 'Play some Jazz' sometimes acceptable results, but far from regularly.

I do occasionally hear some new, contemporary music I like, most often from TV shows or movies. I've taken to buying iTunes gift cards when on eBay for 20% off, so that really is more cost effective for me than AM.

My biggest wish is that Apple would provide their catalog in a higher-res option. I can still tell that I'm listening to a 256K AAC file, at least for the near future.

I've backed up my large music library in three places, so I may give iTunes Match a go. This is necessary to get some of my songs ripped from CDs on to iCloud. Then I can make my own playlists to access via the HomePod.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    CheeseFreezeCheeseFreeze Posts: 1,297member
    Apple needs to play fair with competition and introduce a setting for default apps, e.g “default navigation app”, “default music app”. Just like “default browser” on desktop. 
    Then when using Siri, it then uses the default app, unless the command specifies an app name. So e.g voice command “play album Mariah Carey” should then respect my default music app setting (in this case this specific choice of music would probably crash my iPhone).

Not being able to control Spotify with my voice is ridiculous, and that’s why I’m boycotting Apple Music (next to the fact I’m not a fan of the UI)