Indie game 'Journey' hits the App Store with no fanfare

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
Thatgamecompany has released "Journey" to the iOS App Store with no pre-hype, giving iPhone owners a chance to play the 2012 indie hit.

Journey title card

In a surprising turn of events, Journey has hit the App store without any warning, making it available to play on any device that runs iOS 12.2 or higher. The iOS port comes two months after the game was released for Windows for the first time.

Originally released to the PlayStation 3 in 2012, Journey is an indie adventure game developed by Thatgamecompany, the same folks who made Sky: Children of the Light and Flower.

Much like Sky, the story of Journey is not told through language or text, but rather told through cut-scenes and accompanied by a dynamic soundtrack. The narrative is uncovered solely by player exploration. Also, like Sky, gliding and flying are critical gameplay elements in Journey as well. The game has been highly praised for both its minimalist, yet highly stylized visuals, as well as its ability to convey emotion without the use of any language. Journey has won over 100 awards since its release, including two Guinness World Records for "The Most Awards won by an Independent Game" and for being the "Most Critically Acclaimed Art House Game on PS4."

Both Sky and Journey feature narratives with no language

Like the PS3 and PC releases, the iOS version features multiplayer elements, though they won't be required to complete the game. Matchmaking is done via Game Center, allowing you to pair up with another adventurer to explore the game together.

Journey is available to download from the App Store, will run you $4.99 if you're looking to play it, requires iOS 12.2, and can be played on the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Wonderful atmospheric concept game. Support this developer!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Apple TV snubbed again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 6
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    Apple TV snubbed again.
    I'm about 90% sure they're waiting for tvOS 13's broader controller support. Once that hits, I bet we will see an update to Sky and Journey bringing both to the Apple TV. It's only ~two months out.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    zimmie said:
    Apple TV snubbed again.
    I'm about 90% sure they're waiting for tvOS 13's broader controller support. Once that hits, I bet we will see an update to Sky and Journey bringing both to the Apple TV. It's only ~two months out.

I'd hope so but at the same time Sky was supposed to release YEARS before that announcement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 6
    dedgeckodedgecko Posts: 169member
    zimmie said:
    Apple TV snubbed again.

I'd hope so but at the same time Sky was supposed to release YEARS before that announcement.
    Well, promises are broken quite often in game development. Apple’s ridiculous AppleTV Remote requirements should never have happened.  tvOS13’s third party controller support is going to unleash a wave of new releases on the ATV market. Granted most of it will be older titles being ported given the hardware limitations alongside the new Arcade releases. And yet I still wonder if we won’t see new hardware to support Apple Arcade. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 6
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Beautiful game. Played the original release on PS3 in one sitting and almost cried at the end. Lovely story and unique use of multiplayer.
    michelb76watto_cobra