T-Mobile and AT&T partner to battle robocalls

Posted:
in iPhone
AT&T and T-Mobile have announced a new partnership designed to thwart robocalls by authenticating incoming calls across both networks.

T-Mobile call authentication
T-Mobile call authentication

Based on SHAKEN/STIR standards, the cross-network call authentication feature went live on Wednesday, with customers on T-Mobile or Metro by T-Mobile seeing incoming calls from AT&T customers labeled as "Caller Verified." The same goes for AT&T devices receiving a call from a user on T-Mobile's network.

To date, this verification feature is supported by a dozen Samsung and LG devices, with more to come. Currently, iPhones don't support the feature.

It is important to note that while authentication informs users who is actually calling, it does nothing to actually reduce or block the number of spoofed calls. Further, the feature is not yet compatible with other networks, meaning a call from a Verizon customer will appear identical to a robocall.

The new partnership is a first step in the carriers' plans to cut back on robocalls as recommended by the FCC. The FCC has called on carriers to implement SHAKEN/STIR standards so users know that an incoming call is actually from the number that appears onscreen.

T-Mobile was the first major carrier to implement the SHAKEN/STIR standards, offering support for its own customers since the beginning of 2019. It later rolled out integration with Xfinity land lines in April.

The FCC just passed new rules of its own that help battle foreign robocalls in an extension of the Truth in Caller ID act of 2009, which enables the body to prohibit spoofing in text messages, foreign robocalls and "additional types of voice calls" including one-way VoIP calls.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Finally...
    razorpit
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Finally...
    ???

Currently, iPhones don't support the feature.”
  • Reply 3 of 16
    SHJAKEN/STIR is a new upcoming feature of iOS 1`3,. as reported earlier
    edited August 2019 GeorgeBMackurai
  • Reply 4 of 16
    How long before telemarketers and robocallers can pay a fee to ATT/T-Mobile to be "verified".
    flyingdpdysamoriarazorpitSpamSandwichFileMakerFellerdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    For myself I guard against robo calls by keeping a landline.   I give that number out to all but a very few, select people and businesses  Then, unless I'm home and recognize the caller, I just let it go to voicemail.  So far, knock on wood, it seems to be working.

But, regardless, I welcome this new screening tool.
    I would also welcome an iOS enhancement that differentiates calls from a number in my contact list from those that aren't -- with an option to either silence the call, give it a different ring tone, forward the call to my landline, or send it to voice mail.    That doesn't seem like it would be hard to do.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 6 of 16
    For myself I guard against robo calls by keeping a landline.   I give that number out to all but a very few, select people and businesses  Then, unless I'm home and recognize the caller, I just let it go to voicemail.  So far, knock on wood, it seems to be working.

I would also welcome an iOS enhancement that differentiates calls from a number in my contact list from those that aren't -- with an option to either silence the call, give it a different ring tone, forward the call to my landline, or send it to voice mail.    That doesn't seem like it would be hard to do.
    Well, iOS 13 is getting this:

“Silence unknown callers

A new setting protects users from unknown and spam callers. When the setting is turned on, iOS uses Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone from numbers in Contacts, Mail, and Messages. All other calls are automatically sent to voicemail.”

GeorgeBMacFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 7 of 16
    JeepMan said:

“Silence unknown callers

A new setting protects users from unknown and spam callers. When the setting is turned on, iOS uses Siri intelligence to allow calls to ring your phone from numbers in Contacts, Mail, and Messages. All other calls are automatically sent to voicemail.”

I think this feature might be my favorite thing for iOS 13! I'm looking forward to several of the new things but robo callers are extremely annoying and I get them a lot.
    Indeed. It’s the reason I upgraded to beta and works great. I have not answered a spam call since upgrading and I used to receive one or two per day at minimum.
    GeorgeBMacrazorpit
  • Reply 8 of 16

“Silence unknown callers

So just out of curiosity, what happens when an unknown number texts you, or is included in an email, and then that number calls you?  Is it let through because it's in a message or email, or is it still silenced?
  • Reply 9 of 16

“Silence unknown callers

So just out of curiosity, what happens when an unknown number texts you, or is included in an email, and then that number calls you?  Is it let through because it's in a message or email, or is it still silenced?
    Good question and a clever potential work around. I can’t answer as I haven’t installed iOS 13 on any of my devices. I’ll wait until the full release. 
  • Reply 10 of 16
    siretmansiretman Posts: 117member
    JeepMan said:

“Silence unknown callers

I think this feature might be my favorite thing for iOS 13! I'm looking forward to several of the new things but robo callers are extremely annoying and I get them a lot.
    I agree. My tactic now is to turn off the ringer. I have Bluetooth hearing aids and I hear the ringing even with the ringer off. I can check the number and if I don’t recognize it, I do not answer it. After the call, I block the number if no voicemail was left. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    You’re still “answering” calls that end up with voicemails. Marketers want to leave messages. Your number stays on verified live phone lists. The only solution is to not let the call come in at all. Who’s going to tackle that and how?
  • Reply 12 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Years ago I made the decision to only use Google Voice and only give out that number. Best decision I ever made. Good service for blocking, good service for getting transcriptions of calls. I don’t really care if Google is listening, quite honestly. The ability to block the literally hundreds of harassing spammers and robocalls is worth it.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Years ago I made the decision to only use Google Voice and only give out that number. Best decision I ever made. Good service for blocking, good service for getting transcriptions of calls. I don’t really care if Google is listening, quite honestly. The ability to block the literally hundreds of harassing spammers and robocalls is worth it.
    Same here, after not having a landline any more. I give my iPhone number out to only a close circle of friends and associates. Everyone outside my circle of intimates gets my Google Voice number, which has had the capability to block numbers/mark as spam ever since I've been using the service. Verizon has a call blocking app, but it's hard to tell how it's working. At times I've had it block legitimate callers while I was trying to answer the call, so I like the idea of iOS call recognition based on ones' contacts.

The fun part will be parsing legitimate calls from HR departments during a job search. A lot of such people these days call from a mobile number with only a name and no company ID. If I don't recognize the name/number I let it roll to voicemail. This is really not a tactic I like; I want to answer a recruiter on the spot.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    sandorsandor Posts: 658member

My home phone was the first to get robo-foreign-languare calls...   :s
    Not to mention the dozens of senior citizen-aimed telemarketer calls that come through everyday. 
    And the Amazon support "suspicious activity" phone phishing calls.
    I still swear the Do Not Call list simply provided them with a list of known numbers...

If it is a working telephone number, they will get through.

• Reply 15 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sandor said:

My home phone was the first to get robo-foreign-languare calls...   :s
    Not to mention the dozens of senior citizen-aimed telemarketer calls that come through everyday. 
    And the Amazon support "suspicious activity" phone phishing calls.
    I still swear the Do Not Call list simply provided them with a list of known numbers...

If it is a working telephone number, they will get through.

Well yeh, but on the home phone, I simply let the call go straight to voice mail - unless I recognize the caller.   It doesn't stop the robocalls it just makes them more liveable by keeping them off of my mobile number since I don't give that number out except to a select few.  The only robocalls I get on that are those from a blind dialer dialing every number in an exchange -- but those are easy to spot, at least so far.
    sandor