Apple celebrating US National Park system anniversary with new initiatives

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2019
To commemorate the 103rd anniversary of the US National Park Service, Apple has launched new programs for customers to enjoy and support America's parks.

Apple volunteers at the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Area
Apple volunteers at the Santa Monica Mountains National Recreational Area

One program already announced is a $10 donation to the National Park Foundation for purchases made with Apple Pay at an Apple Retail store, or at Apple.com. Apple says that the donation will support programs across the country that help to connect young people to the parks, who wouldn't otherwise have the means to do so.

Supported programs include elementary classroom field trips, multi-day experiences in parks, and multi-week services corps for young adults that help foster skills and leadership.

Apple's media distribution services are participating as well. Apple TV app's national parks collection will include "Free Solo," The Smithsonian's "National Parks Exploration Series" and shows and movies. Apple Music will introduce a new playlist inspired by the beauty of the country's parks.

Apple Podcasts will feature a collection of shows focused on national parks. Apple Books will feature a collection that will help to guide readers through national parks. The App Store will highlight apps to help customers plan for and enjoy a national park visit.

Also previously announced is an Apple Watch "fill your rings" challenge. On August 25, Apple Watch users can earn an Activity award inspired by the Grand Canyon National Park's 100th anniversary. Users recording a walk, run, hike or wheelchair workout of at least three miles -- the distance of the park's popular South Kaibab Trail to Cedar Ridge and back -- will earn the reward.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    The US National Park system might be the single best thing about this country. I hope every takes advantage...

The US has 4 of the top5 parks and dominates in total numbers.

https://travel.usnews.com/rankings/best-national-parks-in-the-world/
    pscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 4
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    A great cause: though with a twelve billion dollar maintenance backlog it’s a dauntingly deep hole. 
  • Reply 3 of 4
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    JFC_PA said:
    A great cause: though with a twelve billion dollar maintenance backlog it’s a dauntingly deep hole. 
    And people whine because they've raised prices awhile back. I'll be getting my Achievement badge on the 25th, but I also got my Senior Lifetime Pass awhile back. I've been lucky enough to use it a few times, and hope to do so again soon.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    The article about the anniversary of the NPS doesn't say what day the anniversary is.