Apple Arcade may cost $4.99 per month to access iOS games

Posted:
in iOS edited December 2019
Apple Arcade, the iPhone maker's in-testing game subscription service, could cost consumers $4.99 per month when it launches, with the added possibility of Apple offering a free trial and enabling Family Sharing for the program.




The upcoming Apple Arcade promises to offer gamers access to a selection of iPhone and iPad titles each month, with each game offered complete with no in-app purchases nor advertising. While a subscription for the service is anticipated, as with other areas of its Services arm Apple launched earlier this year, the pricing of the offering has yet to be revealed.

So far, the only price being paid for Apple Arcade is $0.49 per month with a one-month free trial, with the service available only to Apple employees as part of a limited internal "carry test." That test will draw to a close with the launch of iOS 13.

According to analysis of the Apple Store app's API, 9to5Mac reports the price for consumers will be $4.99, complete with a customary one-month free trial. As part of the service, Family Sharing will be enabled, so up to six members of the family will be able to take advantage of the "all you can play" service.

The launch date for Apple Arcade remains unknown, but due to the test program's closure for iOS 13's launch, it is probable that it will go live at around the same time, if not long after the iOS release.

Apple has so far reportedly invested more than $500 million dollars on the project, which is set to showcase over 100 titles at launch. Early game builds on the test version of Apple Arcade include Way of the Turtle, Down in Bermuda, Hot Lava, Sneaky Sasquatch, and Frogger in Toy Town.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 16
    This sounds great. My kids will love this. I hate buying separate games and then finding that they stopped playing them once they got bored with it. This way they can bounce around and find what fancies them at the moment.
    GeorgeBMachodarFlytrapracerhomie3lolliverchasmmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,144member
    Good deal for a family, less so for the solo flyer.  Half the price of PS+ (and roughly the same if there's no discount for an annual purchase) is pretty hard to sell.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    crowley said:
    Good deal for a family, less so for the solo flyer.  Half the price of PS+ (and roughly the same if there's no discount for an annual purchase) is pretty hard to sell.
    Im a solo flyer, i have no annoying kids to worry about or to feed.

    Unless somebody is a complete bum, $4.95 is not a lot, and I think its cheaper than most people thought that Apple would price this at.

    Ill check it out, and if I really like some of the games, then Ill subscribe, and if not, then I wont. No biggie.

    Apple could also pull another surprise out of their hat soon when they announce the pricing for Apple TV +.


    razorpitfh-acevirtualshiftviclauyycracerhomie3lolliverchasmmatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 16
    fh-acefh-ace Posts: 49member
    apple ][ said:

    Apple could also pull another surprise out of their hat soon when they announce the pricing for Apple TV +.


    They could, but they won’t. IMHO 
  • Reply 5 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    apple ][ said:
    Unless somebody is a complete bum, $4.95 is not a lot, 
    Knock off the bashing of poor people. 
    JanNL
  • Reply 6 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Unless somebody is a complete bum, $4.95 is not a lot, 
    Knock off the bashing of poor people. 
    Im not bashing poor people.

    I dont care about poor people.

    I am merely stating that 4.99 is not a lot for such a service like Apple Arcade to be priced at and that the price was less than most people thought it would be priced at imo.
    virtualshiftlolliver
  • Reply 7 of 16
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Getting sick of company after company pushing subscription models. I will not participate. I can not afford to participate. The “low rates” are a trap for people who don’t see how small bills add up.

    Every damned media company wants to have people subscribing to their own video streaming service. Do you know how many of these there are now? There are still more coming.

    Now there are subscription services for gaming and anyone who doesn’t know how messed-up the game developer industry is right now should go inform themselves. Between the gambling mechanics and the employee abuse, it’s become a total dumpster fire. I’m sure subscription models won’t help anyone because we see how the push for constant garbage materials for micro-transactions keeps the stress on developers even after the product has supposedly shipped.

    Many if not most software developers are jumping on the subscription model too. It’s not just business tools (which people seem to think are justified: “if you can’t afford to subscribe, you don’t need the software”, apologists will say). It hurts hobbyists and small businesses who rely on software tools, but the corporate-boot-lickers don’t care about people and won’t tolerate criticism.

    At this point, average consumers may find themselves subscribed to multiple non-utility-classed services every month (phone, cable, internet, several video streaming services, music streaming services, maybe some apps on their phones) on top of their monthly utilities bills and other expenses.

    The people with content-creation hobbies will have even more (music creation tools, Adobe products, video products, 3D modeling & rendering packages, etc).

    Then the people who are also gamers may have even more, now that access to gaming itself is being pushed as a “service”.

    It doesn’t matter if you think 5-15 bucks is a small amount. That’s the point. They all add up, and the push to normalize this is increasing.

    This market trend is not good for consumers whatsoever. It is a trend *because* of the fact that it IS abusive; just like the micro-transactions in gaming. It is end-stage capitalism’s latest effort to use psychological manipulation to squeeze more blood from the stone that is saturated markets and purchase-averse/financially-troubled consumers.
    edited August 2019 ronnwattouk
  • Reply 8 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    dysamoria said:
    Getting sick of company after company pushing subscription models. 

    This market trend is not good for consumers whatsoever. It is a trend *because* of the fact that it IS abusive; just like the micro-transactions in gaming. It is end-stage capitalism’s latest effort to use psychological manipulation to squeeze more blood from the stone that is saturated markets and purchase-averse/financially-troubled consumers.
    I take the opposite view.

    I remember spending a lot on dvd rentals and before that vhs rentals before netflix began their subscription service. Subscription cost me way less than renting discs all of the time.

    And people have something called freewill. Subscription is voluntary and people do not have to be subscribed 12 months out of the year.

    Yes, there are plenty of Video subscription services around now, with more coming soon, like Apple, Disney and the At & t service.

    Nobody has to be subscribed to all of them. Nobody has to even subscribe to any of them.

    More services means more competition and the strong will survive and the weak will die. Theyll also be competing on price, and thats good for consumers.

    Plenty of people complain about the freemium game model. Well, heres Apple Arcade and theyre trying a different approach to gaming. 
    edited August 2019 viclauyyclolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    dysamoria said:
    Getting sick of company after company pushing subscription models. I will not participate. I can not afford to participate. The “low rates” are a trap for people who don’t see how small bills add up.

    Every damned media company wants to have people subscribing to their own video streaming service. Do you know how many of these there are now? There are still more coming.

    Now there are subscription services for gaming and anyone who doesn’t know how messed-up the game developer industry is right now should go inform themselves. Between the gambling mechanics and the employee abuse, it’s become a total dumpster fire. I’m sure subscription models won’t help anyone because we see how the push for constant garbage materials for micro-transactions keeps the stress on developers even after the product has supposedly shipped.

    Many if not most software developers are jumping on the subscription model too. It’s not just business tools (which people seem to think are justified: “if you can’t afford to subscribe, you don’t need the software”, apologists will say). It hurts hobbyists and small businesses who rely on software tools, but the corporate-boot-lickers don’t care about people and won’t tolerate criticism.

    At this point, average consumers may find themselves subscribed to multiple non-utility-classed services every month (phone, cable, internet, several video streaming services, music streaming services, maybe some apps on their phones) on top of their monthly utilities bills and other expenses.

    The people with content-creation hobbies will have even more (music creation tools, Adobe products, video products, 3D modeling & rendering packages, etc).

    Then the people who are also gamers may have even more, now that access to gaming itself is being pushed as a “service”.

    It doesn’t matter if you think 5-15 bucks is a small amount. That’s the point. They all add up, and the push to normalize this is increasing.

    This market trend is not good for consumers whatsoever. It is a trend *because* of the fact that it IS abusive; just like the micro-transactions in gaming. It is end-stage capitalism’s latest effort to use psychological manipulation to squeeze more blood from the stone that is saturated markets and purchase-averse/financially-troubled consumers.
    Ultimately, it’s up to each individual to work out if it can afford a subscription.  It’s the same as any shopping: if you can’t afford it you don’t buy it and charging for it is not the suppliers’ fault. 
    lollivermuthuk_vanalingammatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    dysamoria said:
    Getting sick of company after company pushing subscription models. I will not participate. I can not afford to participate. The “low rates” are a trap for people who don’t see how small bills add up.

    Every damned media company wants to have people subscribing to their own video streaming service. Do you know how many of these there are now? There are still more coming.

    Now there are subscription services for gaming and anyone who doesn’t know how messed-up the game developer industry is right now should go inform themselves. Between the gambling mechanics and the employee abuse, it’s become a total dumpster fire. I’m sure subscription models won’t help anyone because we see how the push for constant garbage materials for micro-transactions keeps the stress on developers even after the product has supposedly shipped.

    Many if not most software developers are jumping on the subscription model too. It’s not just business tools (which people seem to think are justified: “if you can’t afford to subscribe, you don’t need the software”, apologists will say). It hurts hobbyists and small businesses who rely on software tools, but the corporate-boot-lickers don’t care about people and won’t tolerate criticism.

    At this point, average consumers may find themselves subscribed to multiple non-utility-classed services every month (phone, cable, internet, several video streaming services, music streaming services, maybe some apps on their phones) on top of their monthly utilities bills and other expenses.

    The people with content-creation hobbies will have even more (music creation tools, Adobe products, video products, 3D modeling & rendering packages, etc).

    Then the people who are also gamers may have even more, now that access to gaming itself is being pushed as a “service”.

    It doesn’t matter if you think 5-15 bucks is a small amount. That’s the point. They all add up, and the push to normalize this is increasing.

    This market trend is not good for consumers whatsoever. It is a trend *because* of the fact that it IS abusive; just like the micro-transactions in gaming. It is end-stage capitalism’s latest effort to use psychological manipulation to squeeze more blood from the stone that is saturated markets and purchase-averse/financially-troubled consumers.
    I have mixed feelings about subscriptions. I like them for some things and not for others. Having kids in the house, this is a God send. While there are a lot of freemium games, my kids are always nagging me about another new game or in-app purchases. A subscription like this allows them to roam around without having to commit to anything. I don't mind buying them games, if they're really going to play them over the long haul but I get annoyed when they play one for a week and forget about it. If I hate anything it's in-app purchases. I want to buy the whole game and not be nagged endlessly about buying shit.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Honestly if 5 bucks a month saves iOS from being the pure freemium hell that it's devolved into, I'm down for that! Also if Family Sharing is a thing, sign me up! I'm planning on getting a new iPad Pro in the fall, and my Dad likes iOS games but he doesn't like paying for them and thankfully hasn't gotten into freemium games. If this means he can play with my old iPad Pro and have fun in a few strategy games, five bucks a month is totally worth it. I just hope they have some cool strategy games, or sudoku or something.
    lollivercommentzillamuthuk_vanalingammatrix077watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 1,846member
    crowley said:
    Good deal for a family, less so for the solo flyer.  Half the price of PS+ (and roughly the same if there's no discount for an annual purchase) is pretty hard to sell.
    No direct yearly. Unless they do like Music and have a yearly subscription card at retail outlets. These get discounted regularly and become an easy "gift" purchase.

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    dysamoria said:
    Getting sick of company after company pushing subscription models. I will not participate. I can not afford to participate. 
    Then you’re not their target customer. Sorry. 

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 2,480member
    dysamoria said:
    apple ][ said:
    Unless somebody is a complete bum, $4.95 is not a lot, 
    Knock off the bashing of poor people. 
    Yeah, those poor people with modern Macs or iPhones/iPads -- and high-speed internet -- and time for gaming -- but can't swing $5 for a multitude of games for a month of entertainment.

    This has nothing to do with being poor (and I've been that poor where a spare $5 would have been a burden) ... this is about some very VERY modest choices. Not sure if you've been outdoors/in the real world lately, but $5 doesn't buy much of anything. Even someone working a minimum wage job (especially in major countries outside the US) could opt to give up two plain coffees a month to spring for this luxury ... or, if needs must, not sign up for Arcade and instead get a $1 game and enjoy the heck out of it.

    Possibly you misread the price as $49.50 a month?
    macplusplusfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Apple Arcade is sounding better and better. I'm really looking forward to it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,144member
    mattinoz said:
    crowley said:
    Good deal for a family, less so for the solo flyer.  Half the price of PS+ (and roughly the same if there's no discount for an annual purchase) is pretty hard to sell.
    No direct yearly. Unless they do like Music and have a yearly subscription card at retail outlets. These get discounted regularly and become an easy "gift" purchase.

    Huh?  No direct yearly unless they do direct yearly?  You can switch to a yearly subscription on device.
Sign In or Register to comment.