Tips and tricks for mastering Apple Card

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

mdirvin said:
    Mine is scheduled to arrive in today's mail.

One thing I'm curious about.  Is it possible to use this card for autopay, like paying my light bill each month?  I know it can generate a one time, one transaction credit card number, but will this number work again in the future, or will I always have to enter it manually?
    As well as I can determine you would have to re enter the number if you generated a new number.  I was hopping that there would be a card number that would stay constant so that it could be used for recurring payments, and also be able to generate a one time use number for online purchases.  I have one CC that does that, only its such a PITA to go online & sign in to the CC web site, generate the # each time.  I was hopping that feature would be available, but I don't see it anywhere.  Maybe some time in the future.
    Mike
    It does stay constant, so there is no problem using it for reoccurring bill... but if you change your credit card number then you’ve changed it, just like any other card. 
    JFC_PA
  • Reply 22 of 49
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

tjwolf said:
    I've had the Apple Card for 2 weeks now.  Today I began to wonder how I'd pay it come September 30th and found out something that wasn't made very clear during sign-up and which you might find useful to know: you pretty much have to either give out your bank routing #/account # or pay with a debit card or with Apple Cash!  I didn't want to do that, so I contacted Apple Card support (right from within the Wallet - nice!) and eventually spoke to a Goldman Sachs supervisor.  I asked him where my account info will be kept - on my device or on Goldman servers.  Answer: on Goldman Sachs servers (encrypted of course).  I told him that I had prior bad experiences in which a company withdrew (accidentally) more money from my account than it was supposed to, leading me to write a check that bounced - and pay a penalty.  And, besides, I didn't think it was very secure - especially for a card that's supposed to be ultra secure - to keep such information on a server where it could potentially be hacked.  I insisted, therefore, on a mailing address.  Which he gave me - but which is not given anywhere in the Wallet app AFAIK.  In case someone wants to pay their CC using online bill pay like me, here it is:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    Salt Lake City Branch Lockbox 6112
    PO Box 7247
    Philadelphia, PA  19170-6112

That address seems awfully weird, but that's what I was given.  Anyway, I thought about it some more and I think what I'll actually do is simply open another account with my bank and when I want to pay my Apple Card, I'll just put enough money in it to cover my card payment.  I'll enter that bank account # into Apple Card for payment.
    Guess what’s printed on every single paper check you write? Your bank account and routing number. You trust all the people you send checks to with this info already. The folks processing your paper checks could keep your numbers. So what’s different?

The paranoia is great. Don’t tell people using PayPal, or every single bank’s billpay system, or the IRS, or any of the major facets of life where people use bank account and routing numbers.

As always, if there’s an error the banks are happy to correct it. 
    ITGUYINSDfastasleepmwhiteMplsPanantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 49
    FolioFolio Posts: 698member
    Good to know, mucho thx @tjwolff. If I were you @spiceboy, I'd try again tmrow. DMV indeed can be even more of a nightmare now to get new secure license being rolled out in US. Took me three trips, had to dredge up birth certificate, even though born in US and my address on file in district for two decades.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 49
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

tjwolf said:
    I've had the Apple Card for 2 weeks now.  Today I began to wonder how I'd pay it come September 30th and found out something that wasn't made very clear during sign-up and which you might find useful to know: you pretty much have to either give out your bank routing #/account # or pay with a debit card or with Apple Cash!  I didn't want to do that, so I contacted Apple Card support (right from within the Wallet - nice!) and eventually spoke to a Goldman Sachs supervisor.  I asked him where my account info will be kept - on my device or on Goldman servers.  Answer: on Goldman Sachs servers (encrypted of course).  I told him that I had prior bad experiences in which a company withdrew (accidentally) more money from my account than it was supposed to, leading me to write a check that bounced - and pay a penalty.  And, besides, I didn't think it was very secure - especially for a card that's supposed to be ultra secure - to keep such information on a server where it could potentially be hacked.  I insisted, therefore, on a mailing address.  Which he gave me - but which is not given anywhere in the Wallet app AFAIK.  In case someone wants to pay their CC using online bill pay like me, here it is:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

That address seems awfully weird, but that's what I was given.  Anyway, I thought about it some more and I think what I'll actually do is simply open another account with my bank and when I want to pay my Apple Card, I'll just put enough money in it to cover my card payment.  I'll enter that bank account # into Apple Card for payment.
    Guess what’s printed on every single paper check you write? Your bank account and routing number. You trust all the people you send checks to with this info already. The folks processing your paper checks could keep your numbers. So what’s different?

The paranoia is great. Don’t tell people using PayPal, or every single bank’s billpay system, or the IRS, or any of the major facets of life where people use bank account and routing numbers.

Since we already know that the card is run by Goldman Sachs, I can’t imagine why anyone would think that Goldman Sachs wouldn’t hold their details. How the hell would they post you the card?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 49
    spice-boy said:
    You will not be able to get this card unless you have a drivers license. Millions of iPhone users will not be eligible for this card because the corporate dummies at Apple and Goldman Sachs thought everyone in the USA drove a car. Tim, some of us (as in several millions in Manhattan alone) live in cities with excellent public transportation and have no need for a car. The person(s) that overlooked this detail should be fired or at least get only a 6 digit bonus in December. 
    A ten second web search demonstrated this to be false. You may be asked for ID, but certainly not in all cases. 
    fastasleepJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 49

spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    You will not be able to get this card unless you have a drivers license. Millions of iPhone users will not be eligible for this card because the corporate dummies at Apple and Goldman Sachs thought everyone in the USA drove a car. Tim, some of us (as in several millions in Manhattan alone) live in cities with excellent public transportation and have no need for a car. The person(s) that overlooked this detail should be fired or at least get only a 6 digit bonus in December. 
    While some applicants are being asked to scan a state-issued photo ID (not specifically a driver's license), not all are.
    I applied first thing this morning and was approved, instead of clicking the final "accept" link I cancelled and thought I would do a little more research about the card first. A couple of hours later I applied again but was asked to scan a photo ID, I have a passport and a passport card, the passport card was rejected and I was told I need a state ID which I never needed before in my life. I called Apple support, nobody could explain why I was accepted one time without an ID scan and why the state ID was suddenly mandatory. They connected me to Goldman Sachs and the 2 reps there where just as clueless, Apple designed the software for this card, GS designed the credit card terms and both told me the other was to blame for my situation. No way an I going to DOMV and spend a day with a hundred people (this is NYC) to get an ID so I can get the Apple Card. Tim you screwed up. 

He went through the entire process then changed his mind. Then tried to apply again with the same details.

My guess is that the registration system flagged it as a possible fraud attempt, so asked for ID. That is what any sensible credit card application system would do. (I know because I’ve built a number of them).  His original statement implies that everyone needs a drivers license to apply, which of course, is incorrect. 
    edited August 2019 mwhiteanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 49
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    tjwolf said:
    Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Thanks for that. I'd prefer to use my bank's bill pay. The downside is it's probably slower than using the Apple Card app.

I'll go through the setup to see if that address shows up. I've got a store card that has 10 different addresses depending on where you live you are to use a specific branch. 

Note that if you want to opt-out of G-S' forced arbitration, this address is where you send your written request.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    spice-boy said:
    spice-boy said:
    Pretty sure they don’t require a *drivers license*. You don’t have a passport or other state-issued ID? How do you get into bars? How do you fly? How do you open a bank account?
    Gov issued passport card is all I ever needed for 43 years. Why would I ever need a state issued card?
    I don't know, a US Passport should be good enough. My guess is you triggered a security feature by backing out and trying again — hence why you were flagged. Try again later after waiting a day or two.
    JFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 49
    When I signed up for the card, I repeatedly received a notice that my ID scan did not go through. It finally went through by the sixth rescan. So my advice would be to not give up after a couple of scans. Make sure the card is on a dark surface and there is plenty of light but not so much light that you have glare.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 30 of 49
    JFC_PAJFC_PA Posts: 932member
    MplsP said:
    ITGUYINSD said:
    The fact that one needs "tips and tricks" to master a credit card is enough for me to pass!
    If you want, you can use it just like any other card, but you miss out on some of the features. There are a few things that are different with the Apple Card; just like there were things different with iOS. From what I've seen, they're not difficult, just different.
    ITGUYINSD said:

One thing I'm curious about.  Is it possible to use this card for autopay, like paying my light bill each month?  I know it can generate a one time, one transaction credit card number, but will this number work again in the future, or will I always have to enter it manually?
    I thought I read that the Apple Card has a real number and exp date and CVV but it just isn't printed on the card.  I think you access it in the Wallet, maybe?
    As near as I can tell, the actual card number is encoded on the magnetic strip. The wallet app will give you a virtual number that's linked to your account. You can use this number online for sites that don't use ApplePay. If you think it's been compromised, you can have Apple/GS instantly generate a new virtual number. This seems to be a semi-permanent number (i.e. it's not a new number for each transaction.) I assume that if you re-generate the virtual account number then any recurring payments linked to the old number will need to be updated. I haven't seen this verified anywhere, though.

The concept of a virtual card number has been around for a while. Citibank started doing this years ago, but it was rather cumbersome to use. Apple is the first to make it so integrated and automatic, to my knowledge. 

tjwolf said:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Automated transfers are, in general more secure than mailing a check (as well as cheaper and quicker to process.) I'm not surprised that this is the expected way to pay. You may be able to set up bill pay through your bank, though.
    Hope so. Whenever possible I prefer pushing specified funds from my bank versus allowing a third party access to the bank info. 

I suppose I’ll see once the dust settling interval is passed and I apply for my own. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 49
    Folio said:
    Good to know, mucho thx @tjwolff. If I were you @spiceboy, I'd try again tmrow. DMV indeed can be even more of a nightmare now to get new secure license being rolled out in US. Took me three trips, had to dredge up birth certificate, even though born in US and my address on file in district for two decades.
    The feds are dictating RealID requirements. Pa had to set up separate offices for same day RealID issuance. At the photo ID/drivers license  locations they can process applications (where I went) but the card gets mailed to you. Oddness abounds. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 49

Yes it’s got a permanent (but replaceable by you) number. That one time tokenization is when you purchase via ApplePay, whether designating the Apple Card or any other such as AMEX etc. . 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 49
    Folio said:
    Not yet signed up, though 99 percent sure I will. My one concern is TMI. I don't want my balance info etc in my face everyday. I'm hoping that's not the case. That it can be as unobtrusive as the existing cards in my Apple wallet, if I wish. And balance notification pops up on due date; rest of time only pull, not push.
    TMI? lol 

You will not have your balance on your face everyday unless you look for it. You know the same way you don't know your bank checking/cc balance unless you open/login the bank app? 

You can Apple Pay the same way you are used to with the other cards you may have BUT if you open wallet then start digging behind the pretty colors of the Apple Card oh no! you may see the balance or worse the due date!

Whether people like it or not the Apple Card calls home the Wallet App

watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 49
    macgui said:
    tjwolf said:
    Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Thanks for that. I'd prefer to use my bank's bill pay. The downside is it's probably slower than using the Apple Card app.

I'll go through the setup to see if that address shows up. I've got a store card that has 10 different addresses depending on where you live you are to use a specific branch. 

Note that if you want to opt-out of G-S' forced arbitration, this address is where you send your written request.
    You know you can opt-out through messaging and then you can screen shot the confirmation of the exchange between CS and you regarding the arbitration. Much simpler than mailing...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 49
    AlinAlin Posts: 16member
    tjwolf said:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Wow.. just wow.. how do you even get outside the house being so paranoid. Every credit card has fraud protection. is A fact know for a long time. 
    fastasleepmwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 49
    tjwolf said:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

So...you trust them with your Social Security Number, DOB, Address, Telephone, Income Data, Transunion File? (because YOU started the application and willingly provided the data)

but when it comes your routing/acct# they are the worst???

Guys, start fighting the paranoia with logic.

Plus I doubt GS is available to be paid electronically through any Bill Pay service so you will have to add it manually meaning a check will be cut and mailed. Good luck  waiting all that time for a payment to post increasing the chances you will get hit with finance charges just because you didn’t trust the Wallet ACH option.
    MplsPfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 49
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,924member

tjwolf said:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Well, maybe not Wells Fargo...
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 38 of 49
    I've  set up my current credit card to accept all my recurring monthly payments as well as the items I get via Amazon, as well as instacart groceries, and other on line purveyors.  Then, my credit card balance automatically goes, every month,  to my bank account for payment. 

I never have to go not my wallet for a credit card.   So, why would I be dumb enough to scrap all this for an Apple Card? 

Yeah, I have an iPhone 8, a 10.5 iPad Pro, and a 27"iMac. 

• Reply 39 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What about for corporate accounts? Are businesses being offered a “pro” version of the Apple Card?
  • Reply 40 of 49
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    MplsP said:
    tjwolf said:

Goldman Sachs Bank USA
    PO Box 7247

Automated transfers are, in general more secure than mailing a check (as well as cheaper and quicker to process.) I'm not surprised that this is the expected way to pay. You may be able to set up bill pay through your bank, though.

To setup bill pay you need a mailing address.  Bill pay generally does a paper check first and, if there's an electronic relationship between the bank and the payee, that gets used subsequently. I got the mailing address from the support person precisely because I wanted to setup bill pay.  While automated transfers are more secure and faster, if you give the payee control over your bank account info, you invite the type of accidents I described.   I really don't understand why Apple couldn't store my bank info in its on-device "Secure Enclave" and only pass it to Goldman when a payment needs to be made.  There's really no reason why Goldman should need to store it on their servers permanently.  Not only does that allow the sort of accidents I mentioned, it also can lead to hacking exposures.  For a card that's supposed to be so secure, this is a weakness I didn't expect.
    macgui