Titanium Apple Card shows signs of wear after just one month

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    spice-boy said:
    melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.
    I remember Steve J announcing the first metal Apple laptop and how he went on and on about the durability of titanium and how it is used to manufacture airplanes. I imagine the problem here is the final finish chosen by Apple was for appearance over durability. News media is having a field day with this card and it's deserved. 
    1) I remember when the titanium PowerBooks had a common cracked hinge issue.

2) I don't think I've ever heard of airplanes made of titanium. Aluminium, obviously, and even wood, but not titanium.
    StrangeDays80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 62 of 82
    OMG!  Really?  Who cares.  It's a f$%king credit card.  They wear.  So what.  It's just a credit card.  Get over it people.  This shouldn't even be news.  And before anybody says anything, No, I am not an Apple hater.  I own a lot of Apple products.
    StrangeDaysbigtds
  • Reply 63 of 82
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    I know one wants ones’s Apple credit card to look beautiful, and it does seem silly that the card would quickly start looking dingy .... but it isn’t the point of the thing to not use the physical card when you can avoid it? And heck, it’s just a dang credit card. Why do people care?
    clearly, Apple did not design the card with use in mind! I honestly think this is a waste of titanium; A nice plastic card would be fine by me.

I saw the other thread where the haters were making fun of this and yet I've never seen any other mention of a credit card being chided for this and it's happened to every single card I've ever placed in my wallet.
    See @80s_Apple_Guy's post - The reason people are 'hating' is because Apple asked for it. Apple went to extremes to make the card look and feel different; multiple posters have raved about how beautiful the card is and how it feels and it's also designed to be kept 'forever' - there's no actual expiration date on the card, if you need a new number, you get one on your phone and keep the same card. The look of the card was obviously important to Apple and yet it won't hold up to even a month of routine use.  It's only a credit card, but they clearly made decisions without regard to its intended use and the natural conclusion of this is to question Apple's design process and decision making.

I think you’re overthinking it. Apple wanted to make a card that people would talk about. If someone is hung up on how it looks, they can push a button in the app and receive a new card. That’s about it. 
    Seriously! Apple tries to make a marketing splash with a system that is designed around to help their digital payments system gain an even stronger hold and yet people like MpIsP have come to odd conclusions that a mass produced physical card is some how suppose to be indestructible.
    Huh? From my post: "A nice plastic card would be fine by me. "
  • Reply 64 of 82
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    If this is some overblown BendGate crap where .01% of cardholders are experiencing a problem then let's ignore the noise.

If not, Apple needs a 2.0  fast.

sflocal said:
    Are we really having a discussion about taking care of a CREDIT CARD?!

seriously people... that’s just sad.

It's Apple. 100% of Samsungs products can be defective and no one cares. .001% of Apple Cards can see normal wear and be front page news with a slew of morons making videos about it.
    spock1234
  • Reply 65 of 82
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:
    I know one wants ones’s Apple credit card to look beautiful, and it does seem silly that the card would quickly start looking dingy .... but it isn’t the point of the thing to not use the physical card when you can avoid it? And heck, it’s just a dang credit card. Why do people care?
    clearly, Apple did not design the card with use in mind! I honestly think this is a waste of titanium; A nice plastic card would be fine by me.

I saw the other thread where the haters were making fun of this and yet I've never seen any other mention of a credit card being chided for this and it's happened to every single card I've ever placed in my wallet.
    See @80s_Apple_Guy's post - The reason people are 'hating' is because Apple asked for it. Apple went to extremes to make the card look and feel different; multiple posters have raved about how beautiful the card is and how it feels and it's also designed to be kept 'forever' - there's no actual expiration date on the card, if you need a new number, you get one on your phone and keep the same card. The look of the card was obviously important to Apple and yet it won't hold up to even a month of routine use.  It's only a credit card, but they clearly made decisions without regard to its intended use and the natural conclusion of this is to question Apple's design process and decision making.

I think you’re overthinking it. Apple wanted to make a card that people would talk about. If someone is hung up on how it looks, they can push a button in the app and receive a new card. That’s about it. 
    Seriously! Apple tries to make a marketing splash with a system that is designed around to help their digital payments system gain an even stronger hold and yet people like MpIsP have come to odd conclusions that a mass produced physical card is some how suppose to be indestructible.
    So you’d be fine with a walletable item wearing down over time… if it’s plastic, but because it’s metal it needs to be resist the laws of physics? I have several other metal credit cards and I haven’t card at all about them not looking brand new. My only issue with my metal cards is that it’s really hard to dispose of them properly.
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Headline says one month. Opening paragraph says two months. I know I should only comment on the article subject, but such glaring oversights on part of the editor are astonishing! And here we are trying to talk about the quality of the Apple Card? The editorial should put quality first and foremost.

On topic, I think Apple is taking aesthetics too far! If they are going to base their products strictly on appearance, make sure that appearance is as reliable as their electronic devices.
    "Should"? Assuming Apple Insider wishes to improve its offerings, the publication *should* welcome constructive criticism. But alas, I doubt the writers have their articles edited or even proofread before going live.
  • Reply 67 of 82
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    MplsP said:
    williamh said:

So you’d be fine with a walletable item wearing down over time… if it’s plastic, but because it’s metal it needs to be resist the laws of physics? I have several other metal credit cards and I haven’t card at all about them not looking brand new. My only issue with my metal cards is that it’s really hard to dispose of them properly.
     Once again you're using straw man arguments. Go back and read the posts and respond to the actual points made, not your fabricated ones that fit your indignation. 
    80s_Apple_Guychemengin1anantksundaramavon b7
  • Reply 68 of 82
    I’ve had the Apple Card since day one and I’ve never had any wear.  I don’t understand why this post even started.  I guess it makes good controversy.  Stupid.  
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 69 of 82
    . .
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Coming soon: AppleCare+ for Apple Card. Only $49 for two years of coverage. It includes accidental damage protection and is only $19 per incident to replace that leather-smudged Apple Card.

We can't wait to get it into your hands!
    avon b7razorpit
  • Reply 71 of 82
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    parylene C would prevent all of the grief.  lack of field tester? come on. 
  • Reply 72 of 82
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    Soli said:
    spice-boy said:
    melgross said:
    People keep thinking that titanium is some sort of miracle material. It’s not. It’s just a metal that’s fairly hard and durable. It will wear just about as much as anything else.
    I remember Steve J announcing the first metal Apple laptop and how he went on and on about the durability of titanium and how it is used to manufacture airplanes. I imagine the problem here is the final finish chosen by Apple was for appearance over durability. News media is having a field day with this card and it's deserved. 

2) I don't think I've ever heard of airplanes made of titanium. Aluminium, obviously, and even wood, but not titanium.
    1) not all SJ said were tech feasible.  yes, some nice casing cracked (not just powerbook). 
    2) blackbird is made of Titanium - majority of material from Russia ;-).  It can withstand high temp at ultrasonic speed that caused by fiction.  It actually wrinkles (but not crack) under super heat and fiction, but you can iron it out (like shirt.  Very cool.  Love the Blackbird.  good design - durable, feasible, tech superior performance and good looking. Apple card should have all the above characteristics ;-).  
  • Reply 73 of 82
    1st said:
    Soli said:
    spice-boy said:
    melgross said:

1) not all SJ said were tech feasible.  yes, some nice casing cracked (not just powerbook). 
    2) blackbird is made of Titanium - majority of material from Russia ;-).  It can withstand high temp at ultrasonic speed that caused by fiction.  It actually wrinkles (but not crack) under super heat and fiction, but you can iron it out (like shirt.  Very cool.  Love the Blackbird.  good design - durable, feasible, tech superior performance and good looking. Apple card should have all the above characteristics ;-).  
    Neat! Now I know of one plane made mostly of titanium. Using back Third World countries and bogus operations to source rutile ore from the USSR to make a plane to spy on the USSR is a great story. I may to use that when people are say that Apple can make everything in the US. We couldn't even build a military jet without getting material from an enemy.

Acquisition of titanium

Titanium was in short supply in the United States, so the Skunk Works team was forced to look elsewhere for the metal. Much of the needed material came from the Soviet Union. Colonel Rich Graham, SR-71 pilot, described the acquisition process:

The airplane is 92% titanium inside and out. Back when they were building the airplane the United States didn't have the ore supplies – an ore called rutile ore. It's a very sandy soil and it's only found in very few parts of the world. The major supplier of the ore was the USSR. Working through Third World countries and bogus operations, they were able to get the rutile ore shipped to the United States to build the SR-71.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Why did they make it titanium, again?
    gatorguy
  • Reply 75 of 82
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    I wonder how and when this will become a class action lawsuit? 
  • Reply 76 of 82
    realistic said:
    I wonder how and when this will become a class action lawsuit? 
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it did, just because lawyers are so slimy, but even if it does, where’s the harm or injury? The card should work just fine. Are people going to claim injury because it’s not as white as it used to be?
  • Reply 77 of 82
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    robjn said:
    melgross said:
    The common perception is that titanium is super light. The fact is that it is 2.5 times heavier than aluminum. It can generally only make something lighter if engineers are able to use less material due to its superior strength.

The surface hardness of titanium is softer than stainless steel, so any titanium Apple Watch will be more prone to scratches than the steel version, unless it is coated with something hard.

I think a lot of people were expecting Apple would polish the titanium and make the card shiny. That would not actually be a good durable finish. Titanium is not being used for any cosmetic reason.

The reason titanium is used for the card is that it is much less likely to get bent out of shape than any other metal. Apple needed to avoid a serious bend-gate flaw.

It’s no miracle material but it is strong (takes more pressure to cause permanent deformation). It’s being used here simply because credit cards have to stay flat.

The white coating Apple are spraying on is very tough. I imagine that it is titanium oxide based since that is the most common white pigment. If so, the white coating is essentially titanium.
    Stainless spring steel is very hard, and strong. 440c, or other variants, would work very well. I use it for a number of things. I think that the name titanium is more a marketing thing than anything else.

in fact, laser etched SS would look a whole lot nicer, assuming it would work where needed. It’s magnetic.
    razorpit
  • Reply 78 of 82
    DJ Bang!DJ Bang! Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I'm pretty sure all credit cards show signs of wear and tear. Titanium or not. Plus the interest rates are outrageous.

razorpit
  • Reply 79 of 82
    DJ Bang!DJ Bang! Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The card still works. The marks are purely superficial, just like its users.
    razorpit
  • Reply 80 of 82
    Like every other credit card in existence