How to change your Apple Watch to metric measurements

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2020
It's easy to have your Apple Watch show you all of your activity details in miles or kilometers, whichever you prefer -- except that Apple doesn't make it obvious how to do it.

One thing changing from Imperial to metric won't do is make it look like you're exercising enough.
One thing changing from Imperial to metric won't do is make it look like you're exercising enough.

No matter what Apple device you get, you will be asked questions about what region you're in as you set it up. The entire reason is so that many settings can be correctly set for you, and that includes which units you prefer.

Set up your Apple Watch in France and those nagging activity stats are going to use metric measurements. Set up the same Watch in New Jersey, and it'll be recommending how many miles you should walk this month.

The idea is that it works the way you do, and usually it's right -- but not always. Maybe you've moved regions. Or maybe you're sharing activity data with a lot of friends and while your Watch translates their achievements into miles, you need to know the kilometers for that heated discussion over a restaurant table.

And then you might well just happen to prefer Imperial over metric measurements. Apple makes it easy to make the switch -- but it does not make it obvious how to do it at first glance.

First, use your iPhone

This is one of those Apple Watch settings that has to be done on your iPhone. And it's one of those Apple Watch settings that you do not control in the iPhone's Apple Watch app.

Instead, open the Health app. Then:

• Tap on Activity

• Scroll down to Walking + Running Distance and tap

• Scroll down to Unit and tap

• Choose between km and mi for kilometers and miles

If you do this with your Apple Watch's Activity screen open and scrolled down to your Total Distance today, you'll see the units change instantly.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member
    How many of you will jump to metric measurements, after reading this article, say I
    I dear you! 
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Can you also adjust the Apple Watch to the metric time system (i.e., 100 minutes per hour, 100 hours per day)?
    edited August 2019
  • Reply 3 of 11
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Metric, English, whatever. 

What I don’t understand is the whole geographical thing. The EKG hasn’t been approved for use in Latvia, but I was able to use it while there. What happened to the geofencing I was told about by an Apple rep?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Pro Tip: If you make your age to 98 and your weight to 330lbs., walking to the donut shop makes you a super athlete.
    IreneWkitatit
  • Reply 5 of 11
    sergioz said:
    How many of you will jump to metric measurements, after reading this article, say I
    I dear you! 
    Sounds endearing.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    sergioz said:
    I dear you! 
    Not only NO, but HE!! No.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    jbdragon said:
    sergioz said:
    I dear you! 
    Not only NO, but HE!! No.
    How many inches in one mile? (Don't google it).
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 11
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    TomPMRI said:
    Can you also adjust the Apple Watch to the metric time system (i.e., 100 minutes per hour, 100 hours per day)?
    There are no 100 minutes per hour. There is no such convention. (But there are kiloseconds, megasecond etc.) So you can't change it on apple watch to semething that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Is there any way to do it for workouts?  Hate having swim distances in yards when using a pool that is metric length...
  • Reply 10 of 11
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Alternative article title:

How to exist outside the US.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    ParrParr Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I’m still waiting for the Apple Watch to have a 24 hour analog watch face, not just the digital versions.

Considering all of the military,  medical, scientific, technical and non US users, that would love to have a 24 analog watch face, it seems like they should respect the large portion of the worlds population that uses and likes the twenty four hour format time.

It shouldn’t be that hard for Apple to implement.