Sleep tracking may be coming to Apple Watch soon

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2019
According to sources said to be within Apple, the current Apple Watch Series 4 will gain the ability to track its wearer's sleep quality through existing hardware sensors.

While previous reports have claimed that sleep tracking features are coming to the Apple Watch in 2020, the feature may be close enough to ready to be included in watchOS 6. While there has been no sign of the feature in watchOS 6 betas, Apple is reportedly near completion on "Time in Bed tracking."

Known within Apple under the codename "Burrito,", this feature works when the user wears the Apple Watch to bed. Data recorded through the night will be sent to both the existing Health app and a new Sleep one for Apple Watch.

According to 9to5Mac, the new feature will allow users to wear the Watch overnight. Apple reportedly includes a notification feature to prompt people to charge up their Watch beforehand.

Many wearers already use their Apple Watches to wake them up with silent haptic tapping instead of an alarm. With this new feature, the Watch will recognize when they're awake and active, and it will automatically cancel that alarm.

Apple has been working on sleep tracking since at least 2017 when it acquired the firm Beddit. As recently as June, Beddit has been inviting beta testers to use the iPhone app it continues to develop.

It's also previously been reported that Apple has been testing sleep tracking with employees ahead of a projected 2020 launch.

While Apple is expected to formally launch watchOS 6 at the September 10 event, following its unveiling at WWDC, it's not believed that there will be new Apple Watch hardware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I would keep waking up knowing that my watch is on my wrist....
    mwhitejahbladekkqd1337Above_The_Godspscooter63
  • Reply 2 of 61
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    Considering that I’m using my series zero for sleep tracking, saying that it’s “coming” to the series 4 is kind of silly.  
    linkmanapplephrazorpitSpamSandwichllama
  • Reply 3 of 61
    codename 'Burrito'  :D :D :D who comes up with these things? 
  • Reply 4 of 61
    Time in bed is Apple Talk for sex. 
    edited September 2019 designr
  • Reply 5 of 61
    I was so excited when Apple bought Beddit. But how many years ago was that? Nothing has come of it yet, and the rumour is now maybe we'll see something by 2020?
    Above_The_Gods
  • Reply 6 of 61
    Now I see what Apple engineers have been doing for several years. They have been testing sleep tracking at work. 
    wattoukboxcatcherapplesnorangesAbove_The_Godstyler82uraharajbdragon
  • Reply 7 of 61
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    I am one of the wearers to bed because I need it for sleep monitoring and also for alarm. I use AutoSleep which monitors my sleep movement and my heart rate. It's amazing. I recharge mine while I shower.
    sebnolan11jahbladeStrangeDaysboxcatcherlolliverapplephrazorpitjbdragonllamawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 61
    Ok. Cool. But when do you charge your watch? I wear it all day and charge overnight.
    macxpressJinTechtaunastekkqd1337onehunglowsandor
  • Reply 9 of 61
    flyingdp said:
    Ok. Cool. But when do you charge your watch? I wear it all day and charge overnight.
    I charge my Watch from 9 pm to 10:30 pm. 100% then go to bed. I wake up somewhere at 93%. Thats it. Why to charge overnight?
    designrjahbladeStrangeDaysboxcatcherlolliverbadmonkpscooter63frantisekuraharallama
  • Reply 10 of 61
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    flyingdp said:
    Same though considering it doesn't take long to get to a full charge, a half hour or so before sleep should be sufficient? I start wearing my watch around 9am and take it off usually before midnight and it still has half charge left.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 61
    flyingdp said:
    I charge my Watch from 9 pm to 10:30 pm. 100% then go to bed. I wake up somewhere at 93%. Thats it. Why to charge overnight?
    My watch is out of battery by like 11pm.
  • Reply 12 of 61

I was so excited when Apple bought Beddit. But how many years ago was that? Nothing has come of it yet, and the rumor is now maybe we'll see something by 2020?
    Things take time to develop. If you rush shit...you have a Samsung Galaxy Fold on your hands. 
    StrangeDayslolliverpscooter63urahararazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 61
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sirozha said:
    Now I see what Apple engineers have been doing for several years. They have been testing sleep tracking at work. 
    Comedy’s harder than you thought, isn’t it. 
    edited September 2019 fastasleeplolliverdesignrpscooter63uraharawatto_cobrasvanstrom
  • Reply 14 of 61
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Utter insanity 
  • Reply 15 of 61
    I am already using my Watch for sleep tracking. How will this be any better?
    razorpit
  • Reply 16 of 61
    netrox said:
    I am one of the wearers to bed because I need it for sleep monitoring and also for alarm. I use AutoSleep which monitors my sleep movement and my heart rate. It's amazing. I recharge mine while I shower.
    Same here. I have been using Autosleep for more than 2 yaers and for me is an excellent App., so I wonder if Apple´s native App could be better than Autosleep and if the data from both Apps could be read by the health App in the iPhone.
    lolliverrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 61
    I am already using my Watch for sleep tracking. How will this be any better?
    Exactly, I do have the same question.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    macxpress said:
    flyingdp said:
    My watch is out of battery by like 11pm.
    How old is it and have you replaced the battery? AW4 gets 2 days for me. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 61

taunaste said:
    With the current battery, this news sounds like the sound of a sick son. Sorry Apple.
    Nope, with a healthy batter that isn’t used up it’s completely doable. I do it almost every single day, charging as i shower and dress in the morning. It’s fine. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 61
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    Many wearers already use their Apple Watches to wake them up with silent haptic tapping instead of an alarm. With this new feature, the Watch will recognize when they're awake and active, and it will automatically cancel that alarm. 

What if a fall back to to sleep Again?