Editorial: Apple's next hardware play could be in game controllers

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    bigtds said:
    bigtds said:

You mad bro? You accuse me of spouting hate and then you write garbage like this? You're delusional. I stand by my statement about his articles always putting others down to make Apple look good because it's true. I'm not the only one that sees this. And I really don't care if you agree with me or not. I also don't care whether or not you think I'm an Apple fan. Unlike you, I find value in many products from many companies...not just Apple. DED can easily make his point without having to bring other companies/products into the article with such negativity. He's obviously a good writer and I would enjoy his editorials much more if he did that. But if you're OK with the way he write currently, then good for you. But if others call him out on it, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your editorial super hero, you have bigger problems.
    Your words expose you. You fail to make a case. 

If I call you out for being rude, don't complain. And if you're so offended by someone making a comment about your crass and rude nature, you have bigger problems. 
    Dude, are you a parrot? There is no case to be made. I shared my opinion plain and simple. Nothing I said was untrue. You can agree or disagree. That's your right.
    Remember, bro, dude, you started off by telling us that we are half brained - all because you don’t like DED’s well thought out articles. 

You accuse people of stuff, and then when you are called out using the exact same language, you then suggest people are parrots. What, are we bird brains now with a half brain? 

You say people are half brained and that DED has to put Apple competitors down, when he simply recounts facts. You have made zero case for why DED is “wrong” or for why anyone (besides you) has half a brain for reading DED and either agreeing or disagreeing. 

You simply started off with an ad-hominem and are getting mighty huffy when people call you out - and have the shocking audacity to use the same language you do. Do you have an exclusive lock on the words? Does calling you out using the same language you used invalidate the call out? Does it invalidate your original words? Is “you’re a parrot” your best response?

Some people only have standards because they have double standards, eh?

Please, if you are going to dish it out, please have the good grace to take it. Thank you. 

You are also free to write an actual article that explains why DED is wrong. But I don’t see any real attempt from you to do that here - perhaps you can enlighten us with your fully-brained wisdom?

Some people are born to write, research, analyze etc.

Some people are born to parrot the line that everyone they don’t agree with has half a brain (like the first comment to this article shows)- and then tell us as you did just above that this is merely your “opinion” which we can “agree or disagree” with, and that, apparently, nothing you said was “untrue”.

Well, dude, bro, I disagree. Perhaps we can agree to disagree and leave it at that, although if you wish to have another bash, be my guest - AI readers may end up mildly entertained. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 42 of 49
    Conversely, while HTC Vive, Samsung Gear VR, Facebook Oculus, Google Glass and Cardboard, and Microsoft Hololens all attempted to deliver the far-off future of VR headsets, Apple instead focused on what was really deliverable, focusing its efforts on AirPods to deliver always-there audio AR instead. This far more practical approach has turned into a multi-billion dollar business for Apple while the rest of the industry diddled way billions to deliver something nobody could use or afford, and for which there wasn't any compelling content.
    What the heck does that even mean?  Audio AR?  The entire section is literal nonsense.  The comparisons being made here are confounding.  Similar to the comparisons from the linked article comparing Samsung VR to the Apple Watch.  Drawing conclusions based on the sales of such disparate tech is...  there's no logic.  The way the tech is lumped together makes even less sense for the comparison being made. It's almost as if you don't know what each tech is or you don't care because your narrative is more important than making sense.  You've got VR tech: Vive, Gear VR, Oculus, and Cardboard.  AR tech with Glass.  Mixed Reality (MR) tech with Hololens all jumbled together as VR.  It's like you just crammed a bunch of stuff in a sentence, regardless of whether or not it belonged, just to get all of the usual suspect brand names lined up.   Instead of comparing them to VR -ya know, like for like even though the aren't alike at all- you compared them to a term -Audio AR- you pulled from thin air.  A term you used to describe a product -AirPods- that has no connection to VR, AR, or MR... creatively made up fictional terminology notwithstanding.  

Wow. Saving this one for claim chowder.
    alexonline
  • Reply 43 of 49
    The best game controllers for VR are your own hands. AI perception is advancing at an astonishing rate and could accurately determine where your hands are and the position of each of your fingers and thumbs. VR headsets can already determine the position of controllers relative to the headset using LED lights on the controllers and cameras in the headset. With higher resolution camera sensors and faster AI processors, they could do the same for your hands without additional hardware.
    But what would the latency be like? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that latency is a massive pain point that is often overlooked.
    edited September 2019 alexonline
  • Reply 44 of 49
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Just save yourself frustration and buy an DS4 (Sony) or Xbox controller.

Even if Apple enters this space, this is the kind of thing they tend to half-a$$ so you'll be getting junk at a premium price. Just look at the MFi program and resulting video-game related entries. If anything, their move to allow DS4 and Xbox controller might indicate they are finally wising up on this front.

re: HomePod being seen as a failure - I guess it depends on how it is compared. Sure, if you compare it to to an irrelevant 'smart speaker' market that is mostly crap, I'll happily admit Apple's is better (at least in certain ways). However, once we get past the novelty of it and a customer base with too much disposable income to get such a novelty, the reality hits that most people are going to want a bit more useful device. I'm guessing that's why many see it as a failure... too many limitations, despite good sound for its size.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 45 of 49
    cgWerks said:
    Just save yourself frustration and buy an DS4 (Sony) or Xbox controller.

Even if Apple enters this space, this is the kind of thing they tend to half-a$$ so you'll be getting junk at a premium price. Just look at the MFi program and resulting video-game related entries. If anything, their move to allow DS4 and Xbox controller might indicate they are finally wising up on this front.

re: HomePod being seen as a failure - I guess it depends on how it is compared. Sure, if you compare it to to an irrelevant 'smart speaker' market that is mostly crap, I'll happily admit Apple's is better (at least in certain ways). However, once we get past the novelty of it and a customer base with too much disposable income to get such a novelty, the reality hits that most people are going to want a bit more useful device. I'm guessing that's why many see it as a failure... too many limitations, despite good sound for its size.
    Sure, but a PS4 or Xbox controller now. DED is talking about the future and what that might entail. 

Compared to a Nokia N95, which had video recording, 5 megapixel camera, it had cut and paste, a flash, GPS, 3G, apps and so much more, the original iPhone, on paper specs, could have been seen as a little half-a$$ed. 

It was 2G, the camera was 2 megapixels,
    no flash, no GPS, no App Store, no video recording, no cut and paste, no keyboard, etc

yet it was revolutionary and received all those feature and so many more in future models. 

DED talks about the past, present and future. The article explains why Apple should consider making its own controllers, shows a patent where Apple has already considered it and explains to us all Apple’s likely thinking and what is it likely already doing. 

Some people think Apple is half brained, some people rightly point out that some of Apple’s products can at alert appear to be half-a$$ed in some ways at first, and some people can see a few moves beyond the lay of the chessboard land, and can see that some, like the first commenter, are playing checkers, tiddlywinks or are even playing with their marbles, while Apple plays 4D chess. 

• Reply 46 of 49
    alexonline said:
    Sure, but a PS4 or Xbox controller now. DED is talking about the future and what that might entail. 
    Flying cars and such, yeah.

alexonline said:
    Some people think Apple is half brained, some people rightly point out that some of Apple’s products can at alert appear to be half-a$$ed in some ways at first
    Well, not just appear, some actually are. Some stay that way for really long periods of time, or until they are discontinued. Or, some were great and then Apple ruins them.

alexonline said:
    ... are playing checkers, tiddlywinks or are even playing with their marbles, while Apple plays 4D chess.
    I wish that were the case, but I don't think so anymore, at least for most of their products.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    cgWerks said:
    alexonline said:
    Flying cars and such, yeah.

alexonline said:
    Some people think Apple is half brained, some people rightly point out that some of Apple’s products can at alert appear to be half-a$$ed in some ways at first
    Well, not just appear, some actually are. Some stay that way for really long periods of time, or until they are discontinued. Or, some were great and then Apple ruins them.

alexonline said:
    ... are playing checkers, tiddlywinks or are even playing with their marbles, while Apple plays 4D chess.
    I wish that were the case, but I don't think so anymore, at least for most of their products.
    Oh well, I guess Apple is one of the world’s most successful companies by accident. 

As for more advanced control mechanisms, well, it’s a
    given they will come. Flying cars, or drones too. I mean we have them, but they need to be a heck of a lot more reliably autonomous so people aren’t crashing into houses or buildings. 

Anyway, there have always been doubters, and there are those, like DED, who seek to sort the wheat from the chaff, and who explain things in a way that most of the rest of the media demonstrably don’t get. 

I’m grateful for the insight provided as well as the many comments that follow his articles where the majority of the minority of readers who take the time to comment seem to be on the same wavelength as much of the rest of the media. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 48 of 49
    alexonline said:
    Oh well, I guess Apple is one of the world’s most successful companies by accident. 
    No, they got there by doing some products they were good at, exceptionally well, with a focus on user experience.
    They also did a pretty good job at saying no to a whole lot of bad ideas and paths they could have taken.

alexonline said:
    given they will come. Flying cars, or drones too. I mean we have them, but they need to be a heck of a lot more reliably autonomous so people aren’t crashing into houses or buildings. 
    I suppose they will. I guess I just question if they will come from Apple. Apple has been notoriously bad at that kind of thing over the years. Maybe that can change. I just don't see Apple taking gaming seriously enough to have much of a shot at it.

You have a lot of faith in autonomy... but is that a grounded faith?

alexonline said:
    Anyway, there have always been doubters, and there are those, like DED, who seek to sort the wheat from the chaff, and who explain things in a way that most of the rest of the media demonstrably don’t get. 
    Doubters in what? Apple? While I suppose I've always been a bit more of an Apple realist than fanboy, I used to be super excited about most everything they did, and want almost everything they made. Then they changed. Then I changed. Seems DED hasn't? And, what does doubting Apple even mean? That they won't make a lot of money for a long, long time? Or, that a bigger percentage of their products are duds, irrelevant, or even the products they were once so good at aren't up to the same standards anymore?

As for DED and this article, while he's typically a bit over-enthusiastic, his articles usually have a bit more substance. I didn't get much of anything from this article but some wild speculation. Wheat from chaff? Heh.
    bigtdsmelgross
  • Reply 49 of 49
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    cgWerks said:
    alexonline said:
    No, they got there by doing some products they were good at, exceptionally well, with a focus on user experience.
    They also did a pretty good job at saying no to a whole lot of bad ideas and paths they could have taken.

alexonline said:
    I suppose they will. I guess I just question if they will come from Apple. Apple has been notoriously bad at that kind of thing over the years. Maybe that can change. I just don't see Apple taking gaming seriously enough to have much of a shot at it.

You have a lot of faith in autonomy... but is that a grounded faith?

alexonline said:
    Doubters in what? Apple? While I suppose I've always been a bit more of an Apple realist than fanboy, I used to be super excited about most everything they did, and want almost everything they made. Then they changed. Then I changed. Seems DED hasn't? And, what does doubting Apple even mean? That they won't make a lot of money for a long, long time? Or, that a bigger percentage of their products are duds, irrelevant, or even the products they were once so good at aren't up to the same standards anymore?

As for DED and this article, while he's typically a bit over-enthusiastic, his articles usually have a bit more substance. I didn't get much of anything from this article but some wild speculation. Wheat from chaff? Heh.
    I tend to agree. I’ve already ordered the Series 5 Watch (in Black SS again, of course). I’ve felt, over the years, that while Apple certainly isn’t perfect, as they’ve made some pretty big blunders, they’re still better than most everyone else. I’ve been heavily invested in Apple in product, and stock, for some time. So I feel as though I can object to writers who go overboard, while still knowing how much I support what the company is generally doing.

so that’s why DED’s writing usually bothers me. While the core of what he writes is correct, he overdoes it. The beginning of his articles seem just fine, but as he writes, he goes further from the path, until he gets in the jungle of overwrought statements about Apple’s prowess, and their competitor’s bungling.

i prefer more objectivity in a writer. There’s no need to overdo the insults aimed at Samsung and others, even though I have my own objections to what they do at times. Keep to Apple, and try not to pretend that everything is always 100% ok. It really bothers me when it comes out as an editorial, because that means that the editorial staff agrees with the facts, and the tone. Since he doesn’t always get all the facts correct, and the tone is disparaging, it means that that’s the official position of AI, something I hope isn’t true.
    cgWerkspropod