iMac got more unresponsive after SSD upgrade.

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Hi,

I have the beefiest iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with 32GB RAM and Mojave 10.14.6. It used to have a 3TB fusion drive but the drive broke a while back and I replaced that with a 480GB SSD. The old 128GB fusion drive SSD was removed at the same time. All this was done in a certified apple repair shop. Trim is enabled in the SSD and everything should be fine, benchmarks show the read/write speed is at the SATA3 maximum speed. The system was installed from scratch and no time machine backups were restored. Only documents and such were transferred back.

But then there's the problem: starting some programs is ridiculously slow most of the time. It looks like the system hangs (and beachballs) for some 30 seconds before even trying to load the program in to the memory. Even opening the "About this Mac" windows takes 30 seconds to show up. This seems to be a little random because some software load up very nicely. Other than starting programs works fine. I mostly use external RAID storage for large files, video edit and such. I have tried disconnecting all external peripherals but this doesn't help with the issue.

This doesn't render the machine inoperable but is really an annoyance. Does anyone now what it's all about and how to fix it?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    cupique said:
    Hi,

I have the beefiest iMac (27-inch, Late 2012) with 32GB RAM and Mojave 10.14.6. It used to have a 3TB fusion drive but the drive broke a while back and I replaced that with a 480GB SSD. The old 128GB fusion drive SSD was removed at the same time. All this was done in a certified apple repair shop. Trim is enabled in the SSD and everything should be fine, benchmarks show the read/write speed is at the SATA3 maximum speed. The system was installed from scratch and no time machine backups were restored. Only documents and such were transferred back.

But then there's the problem: starting some programs is ridiculously slow most of the time. It looks like the system hangs (and beachballs) for some 30 seconds before even trying to load the program in to the memory. Even opening the "About this Mac" windows takes 30 seconds to show up. This seems to be a little random because some software load up very nicely. Other than starting programs works fine. I mostly use external RAID storage for large files, video edit and such. I have tried disconnecting all external peripherals but this doesn't help with the issue.

This doesn't render the machine inoperable but is really an annoyance. Does anyone now what it's all about and how to fix it?
    It sounds like the shop didn't install the thermal probe on the drive properly.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Ok, is there a way to check if the thermal sensor is working as intended? If I use some system monitor software to check drive temps for example?