Editorial: Can journalists have feelings at Apple events?

Comments

• Reply 41 of 61
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:
    I always wondered if there was an illuminated “Applause” sign just out of camera shot at these events. 
    Thanks for the cheerleaders clarification 📣 

Funniest part of the keynote is when Schiller makes a comment and pauses for a cheer. With none forthcoming he looks completely dumbfounded.
    What minute marker did this happen at?
    Please don't ask me to wade through all one hour, forty-two minutes and seventeen seconds again. You must have missed it when you were taking your toilet break.
    Actually, The Phil section was around 26 minutes. And 9-10 minutes of that was video and other people speaking. I initially agreed with you about the awkward silent applause pause, but after watching it again I was unable to spot it. He’s on from 1:09:10 to 1:35:10 if you still care. 
    randominternetpersonAppleExposed
  • Reply 42 of 61
    thrang said:
    The problem is the script writing is becoming clichéd, and often relies on similar voicing and phrasing for various speakers. If I hear one more person say "We're sure you'll love it as much as we do," or "We can't wait to get it in your hands..." I may throw my crappy Apple Remote into my screen.

Phil and Craig occasionally interject a little more unique personality into their delivery, and with some  unscripted asides - but mostly, its sounds very repetitive. 

This does a disservice to the the products and services being introduced.

So Apple needs to change up the copy writers, or enforce a mandate of varied voices, vocabulary, and styles, and cut way back on repetitive/clichéd phrases

They also often talk exhaustively about a feature, and then show you a commercial, which can be a bit anti-climactic. Perhaps show the commercial first to delight, and then present it in greater detail. (Slofies for example)

More "real people" stories where appropriate would be great, as those are often very powerful.
    This is a superb post. You’ve articulated it so well!
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 61
    bjones21 said:
    Oh, how I miss the objective journalism of Walt Mossberg and David Pogue. They were last of the best. As for Warzel he's a nonentity. Charlie Warzel brings absolutely nothing to the table. Not only about Apple but the history of the tech industry as whole. Daniel you have brought so much intuitive insight on AppleInsider and Twitter. I have followed your scripts possibly since my first Mac2CI. Please continue with your acute perceptions of the industry. Dump Warzel nowl.  
    Certainly agree on Walt Mossberg.
    Incidentally, he was on CNBC today and when asked said he loved Apple products. He has several pairs of Airpods, a series 4 watch and an iPhone X. He’s also said he would get an iPhone 11 (Pro?) if the reviews on the camera are as good as he thinks it is.
  • Reply 44 of 61
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,412member
    Well said, Daniel Eran Dilger!
    radarthekatAppleExposed
  • Reply 45 of 61
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    God, some people around here need to bitch about EVERYTHING Apple does. Today it’s the keynote presentation, tomorrow it will be the clothes they were wearing (Gee, I really liked Phil’s pants, but I swear I’ve seen that shirt before. He needs to change it up a bit so that I feel more entertained). 
    If the events are so boring, predictable, scripted, blah blah blah...then don’t watch. It’s as simple as that.  Take an event or two off. But they won’t. Like deer to the headlights, they just can’t stop looking. And that’s the point... as long as people keep tuning in, the formula isn’t going to change. So fucking deal with it and stop thinking anyone cares about what Apple should do to cater to just you. Thanks. 

My apologies to those who came to actually comment on the article. I originally did too. 
    radarthekatrandominternetpersonAppleExposedmacgui
  • Reply 46 of 61
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,669member
    I think this is a combination of jealousy and zero-sum-game thinking at work. 

Jealousy: It’s very upsetting to some people that a commercial enterprise like Apple garners such an impressively large legion of loyal admirers and is held in such high regard by so many when traditional institutions and influencers like political leaders and the media are viewed on a sliding scale that starts with disregard and ends with absolute distrust. Call us shallow, but owning an impressive new Apple product makes us feel good. Reading the daily news and Twitter makes us sad.

Zero-Sum-Game Thinking: The demonstrated level of adoration for a for-profit product maker like Apple seems out of place to some people when there are so many other pressing human concerns that affect humanity. Why is Apple innovating on subtleties of mobile imaging when there are bigger problems that Apple should be solving? I’m sure Apple’s shareholders wouldn’t mind.

The reality is that many people are disenchanted with traditional institutions and need a break from the daily insanity and constant discord. Whether you like Apple or loath Apple, Apple is still optional. If you don’t like Apple, flip the toggle and buy something else. Apple has also demonstrated that it can execute on multiple fronts at the same time. They can be heavily focused on innovation, maximizing shareholder value, being socially and environmentally responsible, and caring for their customers all at the same time. Canceling product launch events or stripping the human connectedness stories from their product pitches isn’t going to translate into additional focus or resources for anything in particular, it’s simply going to create a void. 
    radarthekatAppleExposedbakedbananas
  • Reply 47 of 61
    Dang. GREAT article, Daniel-San. Insightful, well written, a great take that idenitifies and addresses issues that can be difficult to encapsulate, and a very succinct way to wrap up the entire deal with a nice, succinct conclusion. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 48 of 61
    Silly journalists... If tech companies would get political, what would news outlets sell?

Speaking of emotions, for me the best product is the always-on Watch 5. Now I can have something (smart) on my wrist that is not a cold, faceless monolith most of the time.

Not gonna lie. Seeing the minimalist black screen on peoples wrist around town has become Apple-iconic. Gonna miss it in a few years when everyone upgrades.
    Personally, I always liked my screen not being visible to anyone unless I was showing it to them. Going to miss the black screen too. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 49 of 61
    Silly journalists... If tech companies would get political, what would news outlets sell?

Speaking of emotions, for me the best product is the always-on Watch 5. Now I can have something (smart) on my wrist that is not a cold, faceless monolith most of the time.

Not gonna lie. Seeing the minimalist black screen on peoples wrist around town has become Apple-iconic. Gonna miss it in a few years when everyone upgrades.
    Personally, I always liked my screen not being visible to anyone unless I was showing it to them. Going to miss the black screen too. 
    You might want to turn it off...
  • Reply 50 of 61
    I went to the dentist the other day for a routine check up and cleaning.  When it was over I realized that although technically they did their job, it all felt rather same-y.  They sat me in the same chair and asked the same questions about whether I floss and how my kids are doing.  It's all very disappointing that they haven't improved in this area since otherwise as health professionals they provide great care and service.  I'll probably stick with this dentist, but I'll whine about it on social media, because it's important that they (almost) get this (indirect) feedback.
    AppleExposedFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 51 of 61
    I’ve been a fanboy for over twenty years, but the NYT writer has a valid point. The hardware, aside from the price drop, is really underwhelming and out of touch. Schiller especially needs to not present anymore. 

People don’t expect big crazy news features every time, but no one cares about the camera and the watch screen. Not for those prices anyway. 
    Yes, so "out of touch" that tens of millions more people will buy the new Apple Watch, and over two HUNDRED MILLION people will buy an iPhone in the next year.  LOL, talk about out of touch. 
    AppleExposedbakedbananas
  • Reply 52 of 61
    Does boredom count as a feeling?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 53 of 61
    I wonder if the author is aware that readers aren't idiots. You can't go out and write an Apple click-bait article, while simultaneously pretending to be naive to the subject of Apple in the press.

It's pretty clear he was busy trying to cash in on the ad clicks that apple-articles obtain.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 54 of 61
    NYT: This is what happens when a news can no longer afford a real tech writer and instead just has a bunch of junior victims looking for something to outrage about to create click-bait.
  • Reply 55 of 61
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    thrang said:
    The problem is the script writing is becoming clichéd, and often relies on similar voicing and phrasing for various speakers. If I hear one more person say "We're sure you'll love it as much as we do," or "We can't wait to get it in your hands..." I may throw my crappy Apple Remote into my screen.

Phil and Craig occasionally interject a little more unique personality into their delivery, and with some  unscripted asides - but mostly, its sounds very repetitive. 

So Apple needs to change up the copy writers, or enforce a mandate of varied voices, vocabulary, and styles, and cut way back on repetitive/clichéd phrases

They also often talk exhaustively about a feature, and then show you a commercial, which can be a bit anti-climactic. Perhaps show the commercial first to delight, and then present it in greater detail. (Slofies for example)

More "real people" stories where appropriate would be great, as those are often very powerful.
    I brought this up in another thread the other day when it was mentioned that the presentations had become stale. I completely agree with that and you.

Sometimes it reminds me of Wayne's World when the show gets taken over and then goes 'corporate'.

It's not only Apple, but the 'problem' is there and you described it very well.

Oh please. Go criticize the knockoff Apple keynotes that no one watches with a no-name CEO dressed like Steve Jobs that no one cares about.

It's always "Steve Jobs this" and "Tim Cook that" but when asking an iKnockoff user who the CEOs of their favorite companies are, they're completely clueless!! LMAO

thrang said:

You bought a crappy Apple TV? And why are you still using the "crappy Apple Remote" when you know damn well you can program ANY IR remote in the world to your Apple TV?

Reminds me of the people who "hate" Apple while tweeting from their iPhone.

Japhey said:
    God, some people around here need to bitch about EVERYTHING Apple does. Today it’s the keynote presentation, tomorrow it will be the clothes they were wearing (Gee, I really liked Phil’s pants, but I swear I’ve seen that shirt before. He needs to change it up a bit so that I feel more entertained). 
    If the events are so boring, predictable, scripted, blah blah blah...then don’t watch. It’s as simple as that.  Take an event or two off. But they won’t. Like deer to the headlights, they just can’t stop looking. And that’s the point... as long as people keep tuning in, the formula isn’t going to change. So fucking deal with it and stop thinking anyone cares about what Apple should do to cater to just you. Thanks. 

My apologies to those who came to actually comment on the article. I originally did too. 

You know Apple is winning when iKnockoff users are criticizing the most watched tech keynote of the year. The only phone keynote people actually watch.

Next these baboons will bash Apple Watch bands or the new Apple Store so they can ignore the fact no one else in the industry has these great products and services.
    alexonlinebakedbananas
  • Reply 56 of 61
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,029member

thrang said:

You bought a crappy Apple TV? And why are you still using the "crappy Apple Remote" when you know damn well you can program ANY IR remote in the world to your Apple TV?

I have five Apple TV 4k's in my home and love almost everything about them. But the remote is a piss-poor design, that is undeniable. Think iMac round-mouse.
  • Reply 57 of 61
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    thrang said:

thrang said:

I have five Apple TV 4k's in my home and love almost everything about them. But the remote is a piss-poor design, that is undeniable. Think iMac round-mouse.

I highly disagree and it feels like when you first held an iPod or iPhone. All other remotes are automatically outdated after using one. Try using old school Roku remotes etc. Try typing in a search term. I was house sitting and had the unfortunate chore of using a Roku. I spend many minutes more typing in texts and clicking through options. Man did I miss my Siri Remote!

Either way you can program any remote to your Apple TV and you know it. You just "threw" in the "crappy" opinion to bash Apple.
    alexonline
  • Reply 58 of 61
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    thrang said:

thrang said:

I highly disagree and it feels like when you first held an iPod or iPhone. All other remotes are automatically outdated after using one. Try using old school Roku remotes etc. Try typing in a search term. I was house sitting and had the unfortunate chore of using a Roku. I spend many minutes more typing in texts and clicking through options. Man did I miss my Siri Remote!

Either way you can program any remote to your Apple TV and you know it. You just "threw" in the "crappy" opinion to bash Apple.
    I have the aluminium remote. That thing should never have got through to being a final product. It is bad in every imaginable way. Right down to getting the battery out.

As soon as you pick it up you know something isn't right.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 59 of 61
    13485 said:
    thrang said:

Yes to just about all of this. Since Steve--and I promise this is the only time I would ever invoke his name, because it's relevant--the speakers have been uninspiring. Too scripted, too formulaic, too painfully aware of some imposed time limitation, not enough humor or personality. And now the new folks seem just frightened. Stop talking so fast.

I watch because I Apple, but not because it's riveting. To me Phil is as dull as toast, but Craig has his moments. Make him the master of ceremonies.  The visual and technical quality of the show is superior, the presentation needs work.
    I agree Craig is their best presenter now, but he also actually works at Apple. He’s still trying to land planes on an aircraft carrier during a tsunami in the form of finishing iOS 13.1, which I understand is far from completion.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 60 of 61
    Great article, yet another in a series of great articles. DED is absolutely one of my favourite writers. Reading the comments is also entertaining. 

Rog-not-a-fan always stands out for sheer lunacy. There are some others too who you wonder about, are they sane or insane... 

Anyway DED, keep up the great work and keep on telling us how the world of Apple really works, because it is very clear plenty have no idea and/or the wrong idea. 
    edited September 2019 bakedbananas