124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 69
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,337member
    thrang said:
    jdw said:
    k2kw said:
    jdw said:
    It took him too long.  He should have resigned (or been forced to resign) many months ago when he first learned of Apple's plans.  He remained because he gets paid way too much as a board member at Apple, and because he wanted to glean info.  The same thing happen with Eric Schmidt of Google, resigning quite a while after he learned of the iPhone.  I still feel that there's a lot of iPhone in Android because of Schmidt's board presence.  Board members are privy to everything!
    Probably Cook and Apple's are the one's who have benefited from being able to ask him about the Television industry.
    I personally don't think so.  Think about it logically.  Iger is a board member but was under no obligation to share his wealth of knowledge about a streaming service with Cook or Apple.  For all we know, he offered nothing to Apple in that regard because he would have done a disservice to Disney if he had.  However, Iger's presence on the board gave him access to secret info about Apple's early plans for their own streaming service.  It was that very conflict of interest that forced him to resign from Apple's board.  And that's fine and well, but as I said before, he resigned too late.  Iger already has enough insider info on Apple to give Disney an unfair advantage, on top of their already great collection of streaming content -- content that in an of itself is more appealing than Apple's streaming service right now.  How Iger will use that insider info is unknown, but if Google and Android and the iPhone is a lesson to us, we can see that Iger will do whatever it takes to ensure his service tramples Apple's. Google did the same with Android, having had board member level access to secret iPhone details.
    You have no clue if this is the case. There is equally no reason to believe that Iger was recused by the Board when there conversations about such products. Perhaps the recusals were increasing to the point where he served no effective purpose anymore on the board.

No one knows that posts here.
    LOL.  Know one in this forum knows a lot of what's going on at Apple, yet we comment and speculate anyway!  It appears you simply dislike the speculation because you feel "every possibility is equally plausible."  Well,I take the Steve Jobsian skeptical/critical view.  Consider well that Jobs himself felt Eric Schmidt of Google stole secrets from Apple to implement in Android, which I too think is very plausible.  This was analyzed in the press back in the day too:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robenderle/2011/11/11/you-the-jury-is-googles-schmidt-guilty-or-innocent-of-stealing-from-apple/#5b650f30298e

So whether Apple accuses Iger of the same in the future will depend on what directions Iger gives Disney with regard to their streaming service.  Time will tell.
  • Reply 62 of 69
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Since we’re all speculating:

Apple told him to resign. 

He hasn’t attended any meetings where Apple’s streaming plans have been discussed.  

There will be no expensive, dull court case that will swallow resources and attention faster than a crippled  government trying to limp away from the EU. 
  • Reply 63 of 69
    CarmboCarmbo Posts: 26unconfirmed, member
    Done right, streaming services are less likely to compete against each other as they are to collectively profit from a different approach to delivering content than the waning network broadcast model. It ought to be less about luring other streaming service customers away from Service X or Service Y and more about getting in on the action. This is why Apple is launching a relatively low-cost service and why Disney is pricing it’s service aggressively. 

You don’t want customers to choose between services, rather you want them to be comfortable with subscribing to all of them. The key is pricing. Don’t get excessively greedy and everybody wins.

• Reply 64 of 69
    I think Iger was pissed at Apple+ pricing.

Exactly what he's pissed at...they just got undercut. Honestly though, yes Apple and Disney are making streaming services, but I think they're 2 separate things as far as what's being streamed. I doubt most are only going to get Disney+ for TV. 
  • Reply 65 of 69
    That sucks. Was hoping Iger took over Apple after Cook. I like the fact he spends money lol.

I do wish Jobs was around. Apple TV+ and Disney+ would have likely been one service....
    Just because Apple has lots of money doesn't mean they need to just blow it all. It's actually nice to have that kind of money because they can do things that perhaps others can't. For example, they have pre-order very large amounts of a specific material, part, etc before its available to everyone and be able to pay for it upfront. They also have afford to have many bad quarters should that start to happen and not run out of cash right away. They can buy any small/medium company they want (within reason) should they see a need/benefit for doing so. PA Semi, Beats, PrimeSense, Shazam, etc are good examples of this. IMO, Apple is actually being pretty smart with their money. It's not burning a hole in their pockets like some companies. 

You can wish Steve were here all you want...he's gone and its worthless to sit here and dwell on someone who's been gone for nearly a decade. And who knows, if the services would be combined. They could also just be exactly as it is now. Nothing is a guarantee. 
    edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 66 of 69
    kestral said:
    mobird said:
    Now if only the buffoon Al Gore would take a hike.
    Al Gore created climate change alarmism to get rich off the global warming pyramid scheme. He should be in jail for fraud.
    He “created” it?

Damn, ignorance knows no bounds. 
    You ain’t lying. The assholes are out in full bloom commenting on this article boy. 
  • Reply 67 of 69
    Ashburn said:
    That’s a big loss. The history of Apple cannot be written without Disney, and vice versa. As a customer, I benefited from their close ties, and I was hoping they would come together on a streaming service. Let’s hope the door is not closed. 
    same here. A combined Apple/Disney streaming service would have been a complete changer for the industry. They shouldn't have become competitors in this sector, but let's see how things develop.
  • Reply 68 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    macxpress said:
    That sucks. Was hoping Iger took over Apple after Cook. I like the fact he spends money lol.

I do wish Jobs was around. Apple TV+ and Disney+ would have likely been one service....
    Just because Apple has lots of money doesn't mean they need to just blow it all. It's actually nice to have that kind of money because they can do things that perhaps others can't. For example, they have pre-order very large amounts of a specific material, part, etc before its available to everyone and be able to pay for it upfront. They also have afford to have many bad quarters should that start to happen and not run out of cash right away. They can buy any small/medium company they want (within reason) should they see a need/benefit for doing so. PA Semi, Beats, PrimeSense, Shazam, etc are good examples of this. IMO, Apple is actually being pretty smart with their money. It's not burning a hole in their pockets like some companies. 

You can wish Steve were here all you want...he's gone and its worthless to sit here and dwell on someone who's been gone for nearly a decade. And who knows, if the services would be combined. They could also just be exactly as it is now. Nothing is a guarantee. 
    They seem to want to blow it all in buybacks. And yes, that pushes up the stock price and dividend return, but that's good for shareholders, not the company. 
  • Reply 69 of 69
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member

Carmbo said:
    Done right, streaming services are less likely to compete against each other as they are to collectively profit from a different approach to delivering content than the waning network broadcast model. It ought to be less about luring other streaming service customers away from Service X or Service Y and more about getting in on the action. This is why Apple is launching a relatively low-cost service and why Disney is pricing it’s service aggressively. 

You don’t want customers to choose between services, rather you want them to be comfortable with subscribing to all of them. The key is pricing. Don’t get excessively greedy and everybody wins.

yeh, at a price of a cup of coffee (and I suppose a bun or cake) we all could buy the $5 service. Its easy to make that saving.