What Apple is holding back for iOS 13.1

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    AppleZulu said:

Having trouble sorting out iOS 13 from PadOS 13.1? It’s easy: iOS comes out the 19th for your phone; PadOS 13.1 comes out the 30th for iPads. If you don’t have an iPad, PadOS means nothing to you, so quit whining. If you have iPhone and upgrading is a confusing, time-sucking terror for you, you’ve got a long, frustrating life ahead of you. I suggest learning breath control.
    Stated like someone whose opportunity cost of time is low.
    Stated like someone who wants to act like their opportunity cost of time is very, very high, but yet still somehow has time to make snarky comments to strangers online. 
    Oh that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. And participating in this Forum gives me a lot of utility. 

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to add that clarification. 
    Well, then, it's settled. You can browse and snark to your heart's content the whole time your various devices are updating, making new friends all the while. There's really not much opportunity cost at all, is there?
    williamlondonStrangeDays
  • Reply 22 of 32

Why isn't anyone asking about HomeKit Secure Video? That's what I want.
    It is a great idea that I expect absolutely no one of consequence to adopt. 
    I would agree with you completely, except when you are completely wrong, like that. I know two families with cameras and they are both eagerly awaiting this feature. I myself will even change brands of cameras to whoever supports this first.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 32
    "You'll be able to, for instance, have a Podcasts app launch as soon as you connect your iPhone to CarPlay."

LOL, my problem is the opposite.  I want to stop Apple Music from launching and resuming play as soon as I connect to CarPlay.
    spheric
  • Reply 24 of 32

Why isn't anyone asking about HomeKit Secure Video? That's what I want.
    It is a great idea that I expect absolutely no one of consequence to adopt. 
    I would agree with you completely, except when you are completely wrong, like that. I know two families with cameras and they are both eagerly awaiting this feature. I myself will even change brands of cameras to whoever supports this first.
    You're confused. By no one of consequence, I mean no security camera maker of consequence. Yes I'm sure Logitech will put out some half-assed proof of concept sponsored by Apple, as they usually do. And then no one else will. Least of all any of serious players in security cameras.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    AppleZulu said:

Having trouble sorting out iOS 13 from PadOS 13.1? It’s easy: iOS comes out the 19th for your phone; PadOS 13.1 comes out the 30th for iPads. If you don’t have an iPad, PadOS means nothing to you, so quit whining. If you have iPhone and upgrading is a confusing, time-sucking terror for you, you’ve got a long, frustrating life ahead of you. I suggest learning breath control.
    Stated like someone whose opportunity cost of time is low.
    Stated like someone who wants to act like their opportunity cost of time is very, very high, but yet still somehow has time to make snarky comments to strangers online. 
    Oh that gives me a great deal of satisfaction. And participating in this Forum gives me a lot of utility. 

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to add that clarification. 
    Well, then, it's settled. You can browse and snark to your heart's content the whole time your various devices are updating, making new friends all the while. There's really not much opportunity cost at all, is there?
    Unfortunately, it's not every post in every story to which I respond. Responses with snark are even fewer, since I am usually snarky only in response to someone being snarky. Join the two sets (AI posts + snarky posts, so you understand) together, and it takes nowhere near the amount of time I waste doing Apple updates.

Thanks so much for your concern!
    edited September 2019 williamlondon
  • Reply 26 of 32
    AppleZulu said:
    M68000 said:
    why doesn’t Apple just wait for 13.1 to be ready instead of putting out 13 for everyone?  Just do 13 on the new phones.  Seems like a lot of extra confusion and time wasted doing upgrade to 13 if 13.1 is coming out soon after.  I’m waiting.
    Likely because they don't want the PR headache of people whining about not getting the iOS update as soon as it's available on the new phones. "They're just trying to manipulate people into buying a new phone to get the updated software," people would say. That would be ridiculous, but people would say it, and people would write it, here in these forums.

As stated in the article, the new phones have to ship with the new OS, period. So 13 had to be ready to load on the new phones at the factory some time ago. This means a stable 13 has been ready to go, and 13.1 is already under development, so there's no real reason not to issue 13 for everyone at the same time as the new phone release. Besides, at minimum, for every one person who complains about the rapid succession of 13 to 13.1, there would be ten who would complain about not at least having the option to get 13 as soon as it's out on the new phones. This also means you have the option of skipping it. So if it's a problem for you, wait for 13.1. Simple.
    Considering how frigging poorly auto updates works, most people will never even get 13.0 before getting 13.1.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I upgrade my phones at night when I'm asleep when my opportunity cost takes a slight hit. But just a slight hit, I'm a very important sleeper.
    Yeah since devices update at night while charging I fail to see how he’s losing so much of his valuable productivity time. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 28 of 32
    tundraboy said:
    "You'll be able to, for instance, have a Podcasts app launch as soon as you connect your iPhone to CarPlay."

LOL, my problem is the opposite.  I want to stop Apple Music from launching and resuming play as soon as I connect to CarPlay.
    My head unit goes to whatever the last activity was. 
  • Reply 29 of 32
    Why 13.1 releasing so early? How much we waiting in previous years with 12.1, 11.1 etc?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    melgross said:
    M68000 said:
    why doesn’t Apple just wait for 13.1 to be ready instead of putting out 13 for everyone?  Just do 13 on the new phones.  Seems like a lot of extra confusion and time wasted doing upgrade to 13 if 13.1 is coming out soon after.  I’m waiting.
    Agreed. 

These constant — and trivial, mostly cosmetic, from my standpoint — updates are an utter pain. With the millions of app updates that then inevitably follow.
    I have to disagree with that one. Some of these will be major to some people. Also, I’ve never found the updates to be a pain. A slight annoyance, possibly. But so what? We do t do them every week.
    If it was just one or two devices, it would be no big deal. For someone like me that has a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone, an iPod Touch (which I use in my car), an AppleTV and a Watch -- plus those of my wife (thankfully only three devices; and thankfully the kids are off to college) plus a desktop at work -- it adds up to a LOT of time and a LOT of username/password inputting.

(As an aside, I recall a time here in this forum when users would complain mightily about the constant updates from Microsoft, despite the fact that those happened with far less frequency.)
    Fully agree with you here. The constant updates are a PITA, for me. What updates do:
    1. Fixes bugs.
    2. Creates bugs.
    3. Creates new features.
    4. Removes features.

The features I don't care about. And while it fixes bugs, it doesn't entirely remove them. Otherwise there wouldn't be any updates. So, no updates for me. I use vanilla stock iPhone software, and couldn't give a darn thing about what they add later. I get that with a new Apple device. It's just a crying shame one cannot disable these updates. Sure, they offer you a toggle in settings to not get them, but still they'll shove it down my throat.

Yes, the badgering in MS for their updates was from Apple fans. Both companies did a 180 on that one.

• Reply 31 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    M68000 said:
    melgross said:
    M68000 said:
    Agreed. 

These constant — and trivial, mostly cosmetic, from my standpoint — updates are an utter pain. With the millions of app updates that then inevitably follow.
    I have to disagree with that one. Some of these will be major to some people. Also, I’ve never found the updates to be a pain. A slight annoyance, possibly. But so what? We do t do them every week.
    It’s just 11 days slated between the releases and 11 days fly by.  It takes between half hour and hour to do these iOS updates- will still wait for 13.1
    It’s never taken me an hour. Even a half hour is on the rare side. Usually it’s between 15 and 20 minutes. Wow, an entire 11 days. I can see how your schedule will get screwed up because of that.

all kidding aside, it’s not a big deal. But, this year, because 13 is somewhat buggy, it might just be better to wait the 11 days.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

melgross said:
    M68000 said:
    Agreed. 

If it was just one or two devices, it would be no big deal. For someone like me that has a Mac, an iPad, an iPhone, an iPod Touch (which I use in my car), an AppleTV and a Watch -- plus those of my wife (thankfully only three devices; and thankfully the kids are off to college) plus a desktop at work -- it adds up to a LOT of time and a LOT of username/password inputting.

(As an aside, I recall a time here in this forum when users would complain mightily about the constant updates from Microsoft, despite the fact that those happened with far less frequency.)
    Well, let’s see. I have two macs, two iPads, an iPhone, an Watch, and an aTv. My wife, who does her own upgrades (it’s really too easy), has a Mac, an iPad, an iphone and an Watch. My daughter has two Macs, an iPad, an iPhone and an Watch. She does her upgrades as well.

i don’t have to input any usernames or passwords because they’re done automatically. Yours  aren’t, how strange!
    edited September 2019