Compared: Apple Watch Series 5 versus Apple Watch Series 4

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
     Not thrilled by the same form as all the previous models would love a real rectangular shape with crisp 90 degree angles something that integrates with the band. I guess that's wishful thinking.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    hodar said:
    The Always On display is Good/Bad. I'd prefer the option to sacrifice some hours of battery life, for always on during the daytime, as it would be annoying at night, (in the theater, driving in the dark, etc). How about the option to have it turn constant on during some time period - and work like a conventional Apple watch outside of that time period - and thus give more than 18 hours of battery life?
    Why do you assume it would result in increased battery life?

The always on display dramatically drops the brightness and refresh rate to the point where it is barely consuming any power. There is no gain to be traded for. And no one needs more than 18 hours of battery life. You charge it at night, wear it during the day. It really is that simple, and doesn't need to be more than that. 
    I easily get 36 hours on my 44mm Series 4. I use it for sleep tracking (Sleep++). I’m very happy with the Apple Watch battery life. Even after 36 hours I’m usually still at 25%. I charge it while getting ready for work in the morning and then, if necessary at night before bed. Works great. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Whether it's a Series 5 or any other series, Sleeping with an Apple Watch is impossible because when I move my Watch-hand onto my pillow in front of my face, the screen comes on bright and it's like a laser beam shining through my eyelids. I wonder if anyone at Apple has tested the Watch and considered fixing this problem? For a million bucks a year I would be happy to go work for Apple and tell them what their other product's problems are.
    Um.. Theater Mode?
    Solispheric
  • Reply 24 of 38
    hodar said:
    The Always On display is Good/Bad. I'd prefer the option to sacrifice some hours of battery life, for always on during the daytime, as it would be annoying at night, (in the theater, driving in the dark, etc). How about the option to have it turn constant on during some time period - and work like a conventional Apple watch outside of that time period - and thus give more than 18 hours of battery life?
    It has a new and improved light ambient sensor. Don't you think Apple will think of all these things? They're not Samsung, you know?
  • Reply 25 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    It should say....Barely always-on...because if you don't raise your wrist, the display is only dimly lit.....besides the compass, there are no other different features between 4 and 5...as far as the exotic materials (Ceramic or Titanium) ....does it make sense to invest in those materials when the watch will be obsolete in 5 years? I'll keep my Series 4 for a little while longer...
    I’m routinely annoyed by the fact that the display isn’t always on with my series 3 watch. Well, mildly annoyed. Very often I want to check the time and my wrist does’t move enough, or I want to glance at the time while I’m talking to someone without being rude.

My series 3 watch is doing just fine. I can routinely get 36+ hours off of a single charge and there’s absolutely nothing worth paying several hundred dollars to upgrade. When it dies I’ll probably get a new one, but until then I’ll enjoy what I’ve got.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member

Caneman88 said:
    The Series 4 cost me over $800 now a year later they want to give me $110 for a trade in value no thanks.
    and I don't understand keeping the Series 3 and not the 4 for sale by Apple.

I saw this too and it is a giant slap in the face. When the same model could be sold on eBay for roughly $500, this is a joke from Apple.
    Why is it a slap in the face? If you can sell it for more on flea bay, then go right ahead. Apple is in the business of selling new products, not trading in products. There have always been other 3rd parties that take trade ins and they are frequently offer better prices. Shop around and do what works for you.
    Solispheric
  • Reply 27 of 38
    neilm said:
    As with an iPhone, I'd think it almost never worthwhile to upgrade from the immediately previous Apple Watch model.

The exception might be when the new model introduces one or more key new features, for instance LTE connectivity in the Series 3, that are important to the potential upgrader. There's a bunch of nice-to-have stuff in the S5 that may now make it even more attractive, but I can hardly imagine being impelled to replace an S4.

Of course there are serial early adopters who simply must have the latest and greatest, but otherwise I'd think that the Apple Watch's natural replacement cycle would be longer than that of phones, 3-5 years rather than 2-3.
    Well said.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Caneman88 said:
    The Series 4 cost me over $800 now a year later they want to give me $110 for a trade in value no thanks.

I saw this too and it is a giant slap in the face. When the same model could be sold on eBay for roughly $500, this is a joke from Apple.
    It’s a third party that does the trade-in value, not Apple. They’re always a ripoff versus just selling it yourself on eBay/Craigslist/Swappa. It’s a convenience for people who would never bother, nobody is forcing you to use the service (and you shouldn’t, if you want to maximize your value).
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Whether it's a Series 5 or any other series, Sleeping with an Apple Watch is impossible because when I move my Watch-hand onto my pillow in front of my face, the screen comes on bright and it's like a laser beam shining through my eyelids. I wonder if anyone at Apple has tested the Watch and considered fixing this problem? For a million bucks a year I would be happy to go work for Apple and tell them what their other product's problems are.
    Use the theater mode. Scroll from the bottom and hit the 2 face mask to turn it orange. The display disappears until you touch it with your finger again
    spheric
  • Reply 30 of 38
    I'm still on the original Series 0 (Zero). I'm continuing to hold out until blood pressure monitoring becomes available. This could be a sea change in healthcare. Didn't Apple patent something on this?
    My point exactly.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,617member
    Caneman88 said:

It sounds like you've already found the solution to the situation. 

Congratulations! Go for it.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    I'm still on the original Series 0 (Zero). I'm continuing to hold out until blood pressure monitoring becomes available. This could be a sea change in healthcare. Didn't Apple patent something on this?
    My Series 0 (zero) is sitting in a drawer now. I upgraded to a Series 4 earlier this year mainly because of the ECG function. I actually have experienced Afib and am on a heart rhythm regulating drug to keep it under control. I wonder what a series 0 would go for on eBay.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    nealc5nealc5 Posts: 44member
    I bought a Series 4 last December, and just bought a Series 5. (Sold the series 4 on eBay).  The reason was the always-on display.  I too sleep with the watch (SleepWatch app). For this, I've  made a custom screen based on the Modular screen that just shows the time in red.  Even at full brightness, this doesn't shine like a laser beam into your eyes.  When it's dimmed, it's perfect.

And if you don't want the display always on, that can be turned off in the watch app under "Display & Brightness".

Neal

• Reply 34 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    nealc5 said:
    I bought a Series 4 last December, and just bought a Series 5. (Sold the series 4 on eBay).  The reason was the always-on display.  I too sleep with the watch (SleepWatch app). For this, I've  made a custom screen based on the Modular screen that just shows the time in red.  Even at full brightness, this doesn't shine like a laser beam into your eyes.  When it's dimmed, it's perfect.

And if you don't want the display always on, that can be turned off in the watch app under "Display & Brightness".

Neal

That’s the exact display I use for sleeping or when I need it muted, like in a movie theater.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    jkdsteve said:
    Does it have a setting where I can enable the old behavior of the watch display? Quite frankly, don't need always on and it'd be annoying.
    I'm also curious about that. In any case, I upgraded from my 4. I'll like the always on for most things, but really would like to have the option.
    Go to Settings -> Display & Brightness -> Always On -> off
  • Reply 36 of 38
    Whether it's a Series 5 or any other series, Sleeping with an Apple Watch is impossible because when I move my Watch-hand onto my pillow in front of my face, the screen comes on bright and it's like a laser beam shining through my eyelids. I wonder if anyone at Apple has tested the Watch and considered fixing this problem?
    Turn on Theatre/Cinema mode.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 37 of 38

I thought I might be stupid to go from my perfectly good Series 4 to a 5, but I figured worst case I could return the Series 5 in 14 days. But so far, for me, it’s really been a game changer. However, a person needs to keep in mind I love lil’ details…they really add up for me (where it may not for other people).

Battery Life…for me, the Series 5 (plain 44mm Aluminum w/Cellular) lasted 33 hours w/the Raise to Wake ON and Display Always ON. Which 33 hours is about the same run time I got with my Series 4 (which was a 44mm Nike Cellular Version).

What I’ve noticed the most so far, is how I do NOT raise my wrist near as much. Plus, I set my brightness to the lowest, just as I had with my Series 4. For me, the ambient light sensor on the 5 is sooooooo good that it really is bright enough for me to see indoors and outside in direct sun light, too (that’s without having to raise my wrist, as well). 

For my sleeping app, it still has the Theater Mode, to make it go completely dark. So I LOVE the Series 5 MUCH more than I thought I would, but unfortunately I’m having to return the whole watch because I do NOT like the Leather Loop band (I’ll talk about that further below).

So, when I get my Series 5 Nike (it will be a 44mm Cellular)…my next test will be to see how long it goes with the Raise to Wake OFF and Display Always ON. I’m thinking it might just go super long with Raise to Wake OFF, as again I could see it fine without having to raise it (which I use the Infograph Modular, it is my favorite watch face). Plus, I am also figuring that if I need to do something with the watch…I’d be touching it anyway at that point. Seems logical in theory (to me anyway), but I will see if that pans out in day-to-day practical use…or if I’ll be taking two aspirin to make my “theory” go away. ;-)

Expounding on why I did NOT like the Black Leather Loop…basically I was hoping to get a lil’ classier watch band, as I LOVE the Nike Sport Loops. My initial thinking was that it would be a good way to get the $100 Apple Leather Loop while also only “feeling” like I was paying $50 more for it. ;-p ($579 for 44mm Cellular instead of $529).

Okay so why did I hate the Black Leather Loop?

Every time I moved, even a little, the Leather Loop band “creaks”, both audibly and physically. So, to me, it  constantly sounded and felt like the watch was giving me haptic touch/taps on my wrist when it was NOT doing anything (insert eye roll here). ;-) Plus, I don’t like the way the ends could potentially slip through. Meaning, I like watch bands that when unlatched are still looped around my wrist with no chance of dropping the watch to the ground, simply because one end suddenly slipped though before I’m ready (w/an unexpected quick release). I’d rather release and slide it over my wrist and hand (but that’s just me). ;-) Bottomline, I had to return the whole watch…and I’ve reordered the Series 5 Nike version with the Sport Loop like what I had on my 4.

• Reply 38 of 38
    Soli said:
    nealc5 said:

Neal

That’s the exact display I use for sleeping or when I need it muted, like in a movie theater.
    Yes.  I do the same thing in a movie theater.  I do agree that Apple should have a designated "sleep" mode, where one can automatically designate the "sleep" display to use, and then you can turn off always-on if you wish.