watchOS 6 for Apple Watch is now available to download

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 77
    Herein lies my problem. I only have an iPhone 6 Plus which can't upgrade to iOS 13. I have an iPad but an Apple Watch can't connect to that. This is a MAJOR pain because I can't afford a new iPhone.
    I have a backup iphone and its a 6+ and it upgraded to iOS 13 with no issue. I believe Apple said that the 6 & 6+ could get the update.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 62 of 77
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,732member
    eightzero said:
    auxio said:
    DMR1973 said:
    Another crappy piece of software, originally I updated to 5.3.1 and battery was lasting eight hours, compared to 3 days before 5.3.1, now updated to WatchOS 6, within 1 hours watch has lost 10% battery !!!!!
    Imagine that, it's probably doing some reindexing/reprocessing in the background like after almost every major OS update (and will be done in a few hours).  But why think when you can just react.
    Fairly, I don't think it is up to consumers to try to analyze what their device is doing. Maybe a simple warning from the manufacturer would solve this by lowering our expectations for things that...well...we paid for. 

I learned this painful lesson on the original Apple Watch. For reasons I couldn't connect to software updates, the battery life would drop to like 2 hours, but only when the workout app was used. A 30m walk drained the battery 40%. On a product that was supposed to be a fitness tracker. Was it obvious what was happening? No. In hindsight (that is always 20-50) perhaps understandable - the post processing of several years of health data might have been the culprit - but where is the warning that mere updating software could disable the device you bought for several days or weeks?

I know now to only to updates overnight, and on weekends when I am near an Apple Watch charger. Here's to hoping the AW4 is more robust about this.

If it's draining the battery for several days or weeks, then I can certainly understand being upset.  My experience has always been a few hours to a day at most, which is well within the "I need to scream bloody murder on the internet about it" time period.  Especially since a quick Google search will tell you what's going on.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 63 of 77
    xmbxmb Posts: 18member
    If I install WatchOS using my wife's iPhone can I then unpair it and repair it with my iPhone 6 Plus?
    If you did this it may not re-pair with your iPhone as it has not got iOS 13!
    You have to bite the bullet and upgrade your iPhone now, as no longer supported and won't get any security updates.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 64 of 77
    xmb said:
    If I install WatchOS using my wife's iPhone can I then unpair it and repair it with my iPhone 6 Plus?
    You have to bite the bullet and upgrade your iPhone now, as no longer supported and won't get any security updates.
    However the phone may not be supported, but it can and will get the iOS 13 updates and the 13.1 when that rolls out. I had no problem updating our spare iphone 6/6s 
  • Reply 65 of 77
    elector said:
    Herein lies my problem. I only have an iPhone 6 Plus which can't upgrade to iOS 13. I have an iPad but an Apple Watch can't connect to that. This is a MAJOR pain because I can't afford a new iPhone.
    I have a backup iphone and its a 6+ and it upgraded to iOS 13 with no issue. I believe Apple said that the 6 & 6+ could get the update.

You must have an iPhone 6s+.  The iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 & iPhone 6+ will NOT support iOS 13.x.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 66 of 77
    elector said:
    xmb said:
    However the phone may not be supported, but it can and will get the iOS 13 updates and the 13.1 when that rolls out. I had no problem updating our spare iphone 6/6s 
    The iPhone 6 & 6s will *NOT* receive iOS 13.x.  Check Apple's site.
  • Reply 67 of 77
    I have a 1st gen. Everything I read says it’s compatible for OS 6 but it’s not showing up on the app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 68 of 77
    I have a 1st gen. Everything I read says it’s compatible for OS 6 but it’s not showing up on the app. 
    WatchOS 6 is coming in a later update for Series 1 & 2. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 69 of 77
    xmb said:
    Yeah I used my wife's one and it won't pair. Not a huge problem but it's all tied into her account.

I'm paying off an iPad mini at the moment so the iPhone will have to wait a while.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 70 of 77
    nicholfd said:
    elector said:

You must have an iPhone 6s+.  The iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 & iPhone 6+ will NOT support iOS 13.x.
    I stand corrected. you are right. I went to appleid and checked. Funny I did not think it was a "S" but a + 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 71 of 77
    No, because the Watch app in iOS 12 doesn’t support WatchOS 6.  Don’t worry about it because reports indicate the battery life stinks with OS 6, even on the brand new Watch 5.
  • Reply 72 of 77
    elector said:

You must have a 6s Plus phone, not the 6. iPhone 6 and 6 Plus are not supported with iOS 13.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 73 of 77
    elector said:
    xmb said:
    You are wrong and your iPhones are not the 6 model.  You obviously have the iPhone 6s, not the 6 or 6 Plus.  Only the iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and newer models support iOS 13.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 74 of 77
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    I wonder why they are forcing Series 1 & 2 users to wait. The update isn't good enough to get people to update in frustration at having to wait, so trying to see the benefit here.
    Yeah, that's probably why I'm still waiting.  I have a Series 2.  So perhaps that's how they're staging the rollout to prevent overloading the servers: by watch series.
    I love my Series 1, won't bother replacing it until the battery dies or they find a compelling reason to upgrade. I'll definitiely be buying a cellular model for the next one though.
    Yeah, I bought the SS Series 2 with the link bracelet because I wanted to treat it like a real watch.  You know, one which is built well, looks nice and you keep for a long time.  Still works great and I have no plans to get a new one soon.
    A real watch lasts a long time.  A technology watch that runs on software will only last a few years.  
  • Reply 75 of 77
    saarek said:
    DMR1973 said:
    Apple Watch 4 with WatchOS, 10 hrs and only 25% battery left, ffs!!!
    Give it another day. It’s not unusual with a full OS update to find a lot of file organisation/work in the background for the first day.
    Wrong.  Even Watch 5 users are reporting lousy battery life with OS 6...on a brand new device.  
  • Reply 76 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,511member
    nicholfd said:
    elector said:
    xmb said:
    The iPhone 6 & 6s will *NOT* receive iOS 13.x.  Check Apple's site.
    Copied from Apple’s website just now:

s compatible 
    with these devices.

Learn more about iPhone

Learn more about iPod touch

• iPhone 11
    • iPhone 11 Pro
    • iPhone 11 Pro Max
    • iPhone XS
    • iPhone XS Max
    • iPhone XR
    • iPhone X
    • iPhone 8
    • iPhone 8 Plus
    • iPhone 7
    • iPhone 7 Plus
    • iPhone 6s
    • iPhone 6s Plus
    • iPhone SE
    • iPod touch (7th generation)
  • Reply 77 of 77
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,511member

auxio said:
    saarek said:
    auxio said:
    saarek said:
    I wonder why they are forcing Series 1 & 2 users to wait. The update isn't good enough to get people to update in frustration at having to wait, so trying to see the benefit here.
    Yeah, that's probably why I'm still waiting.  I have a Series 2.  So perhaps that's how they're staging the rollout to prevent overloading the servers: by watch series.
    I love my Series 1, won't bother replacing it until the battery dies or they find a compelling reason to upgrade. I'll definitiely be buying a cellular model for the next one though.
    Yeah, I bought the SS Series 2 with the link bracelet because I wanted to treat it like a real watch.  You know, one which is built well, looks nice and you keep for a long time.  Still works great and I have no plans to get a new one soon.
    A real watch lasts a long time.  A technology watch that runs on software will only last a few years.  
    saarek said:
    DMR1973 said:
    Apple Watch 4 with WatchOS, 10 hrs and only 25% battery left, ffs!!!
    Give it another day. It’s not unusual with a full OS update to find a lot of file organisation/work in the background for the first day.
    Wrong.  Even Watch 5 users are reporting lousy battery life with OS 6...on a brand new device.  
    You’re making up your own definition. The proper thing is to say that to you, a real watch lasts a long time, whatever that means. It’s very possible that an Watch could last 20 years if people want to keep it that long.

i have a Series 5. If I use the always on screen, and I keep the face on at less than full brightness as I suspect most people do, my battery life is about the same as my Series 4. If I turn the brightness all the way up, it’s a couple of hours shorter. If I turn that feature off, I get noticeably better battery life than my Series 4 which doesn’t have that feature.

of course, for a fair test, you need to use the same screen, with the same complications.
    edited September 2019