'Apple Tags' user interface discovered in internal build of iOS 13

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
A report on Thursday offers additional detail about how users might interact with Apple's "tag" style tracking accessory, an as-yet-unannounced device initially rumored to debut alongside iPhone 11 in September.

Update: This article was published in September 2019. See our Apple "AirTags" page for the most current information on Apple's forthcoming wireless trackers.

According to fresh screenshots unearthed by MacRumors, users will be able to add, manage and monitor so-called "Apple Tags" from a new "Items" tab in iOS 13's Find My app.

Seen above, graphical assets from an unreleased internal version of iOS 13 reveal the Find My app with three distinct categories: "People," "Devices" and "Items." The "Me" tab currently available in the just released iOS 13 takes the place of an informational navigation icon situated above a "center map on position" arrow, both of which remain as persistent assets on the Apple Maps view.

Tapping on the "Items" button appears to invoke a setup pane from which users can "Add B389," a reference to what is thought to be a codename for Apple's tracking device. Existence of the supposed tracker, also designated as device "Tag1,1" in iOS 13 beta code, was discovered in June. Apple was granted a U.S. patent for a similar tag-tracking solution in 2016.

Expanding the setup pane reveals text that reads, "Keep track of your everyday items [. . .] Tag your everyday items with B389 and never lose them again." Accompanying the text is iconography depicting a key, luggage and bicycle, each of which is contained within their own Find My location bubbles.

Previous leaks, assumedly culled from one or more internal iOS 13 builds, suggest B389 is a wireless tracking device similar to popular Tile tracker in both form and function. As outlined in the unreleased OS, B389 can be affixed to common objects or easily misplaced items for later retrieval.

Through the Find My app, users can arrange for notifications to be triggered when a tag moves outside of a paired iPhone's range. Alternatively, the tag device might support audio playback capabilities, allowing users to recover a lost item by sounding a chime. A similar technique is currently employed by AirPods.

Further, tags could feature ARKit integration and support for Apple's new "Lost Mode." The crowd-sourced recovery system sends Bluetooth signals from a lost device, or in this case tag, to nearby iPhones, which then relay the ping along with anonymized geolocation data to iCloud.

The internal version of Find My containing the B389 assets is not included in today's release of iOS 13, according to the report. When Apple plans to unveil the tracking device remains unknown, but the project is presumed to be fairly mature considering reference to "Tag1,1" was spotted in an iOS 13 beta version in June.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    That’s fine. They can get everything working right, then release it at some point in the near future.
    razorpitanantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 16
    imatimat Posts: 208member
    Skeuomorphism seems to be making a comeback!!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    These 3D Icons are as unApple as it gets. Fake i would say.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Really? What are you guys looking at?
    those are just Emojis!
    StrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 5 of 16
    imat said:
    Skeuomorphism seems to be making a comeback!!
    ..after Ives hands off.

I think it's a good news. I never heard anyone complained about Skeuomorphism apart from nerds in internet. Admittedly Forstall was a bit heavy handed with it. If it's kept within control I have no problem with it.
    edited September 2019 anantksundaramjony0
  • Reply 6 of 16
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    What part of
    cmaus said:
    Really? What are you guys looking at?
    those are just Emojis!
    Which is relevant because? This are obviously placeholder graphics, as the feature is in beta... they could also be stick figures...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    foljsfoljs Posts: 390member
    talexy said:
    Apple used to have tons of 3D icons... And these are clearly placeholder graphics, not the final product icons...
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    foljs said:
    talexy said:
    Apple used to have tons of 3D icons... And these are clearly placeholder graphics, not the final product icons...
    I look at this and I think this tag, you'll be able to label it and it will automatically add an icon for you like you label it a bicycle and you'll get a bicycle icon etc.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    This is the end of the Tile company, especially when Apple will support this on other operating systems.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Nice. I can't wait.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    This is the end of the Tile company, especially when Apple will support this on other operating systems.

Yup.  Tile still has a market with non Apple stuff but I can't really see why I wouldn't want to replace my Tiles with Apple's solution. 
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 16
    foljs said:
    talexy said:
    Doubt that. The interface looks quite polished, and I’m betting they are using their emoji icons just as we see them in that screenshot. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member

It all sounds so good.

But without some limitations this is a ‘surveillance state’ enabler.  How do you prevent your ex, or thieves planning to rob you or your house, from tagging you car and tracking you everywhere you go?  This is a Pandora’s Box waiting to be opened. How is no one concerned here?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    JWSC said:

It all sounds so good.

But without some limitations this is a ‘surveillance state’ enabler.  How do you prevent your ex, or thieves planning to rob you or your house, from tagging you car and tracking you everywhere you go?  This is a Pandora’s Box waiting to be opened. How is no one concerned here?

Long before the iPhone you could be tracked by anyone who wanted to - without you being aware. And you're now just noticing that the sky is falling?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    onlyhope said:
    JWSC said:

It all sounds so good.

Long before the iPhone you could be tracked by anyone who wanted to - without you being aware. And you're now just noticing that the sky is falling?
    Quite true that the capability has existed for some time for the Government and those with a modicum of technical knowledge.  But now Apple is enabling the unwashed masses to go out and do the same, and with great ease.  So, yes, I’m concerned.  And you should be too.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    JWSC said:
    onlyhope said:
    JWSC said:

It all sounds so good.

Quite true that the capability has existed for some time for the Government and those with a modicum of technical knowledge.  But now Apple is enabling the unwashed masses to go out and do the same, and with great ease.  So, yes, I’m concerned.  And you should be too.
    This has existed for the “unwashed masses” for many years.