Contradictory iPhone 11 Pro drop tests reveal easily breakable/highly durable glass

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    jd_in_sb said:
    12 years since iPhone 1, and billions of dollars of research later, the screen still cracks from a 3-foot drop?
    How about those cars? They get into a collision, yet they still don’t bounce back like a giant marshmallow... go figure.
    idreyGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 42 of 56
    hexclock said:
    “You’re dropping it wrong. “
    How about, you shouldn't drop your things but take care of them, period?
    Carnage
  • Reply 43 of 56
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    What I don't get it is why don't they just use plastic backs? I took a look at iPhone 11 today and the backs felt more like plastic than actual glass. Additionally, it's odd that Apple keeps using glass instead of plastic films which are much more resistant to cracks and contrary to popular belief, can resist scratches pretty well while maintaining flexibility. Even if it does get scratched, the scratches can be removed by polishing them. There's a technology for that and why Apple keeps using glass which is proven to break easily is beyond my comprehension. If customers want the glass feel, they can simply add a glass film on top while keeping the plastic screen safe from cracks.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    I'm waiting for the movie where a bunch of guys make a toast and then throw their phones into the fireplace! More seriously, why can't iPhones have a micro lanyard attachment point, like most cameras do? It would cost almost nothing, have zero impact on appearance (certainly much less than the notch), but would allow a neck or wrist strap, or a belt lanyard that would prevent drops and would allow users to feel the glorious iPhone without wrapping it in a case. Meanwhile my phone is in a case - sigh!
  • Reply 45 of 56
    netrox said:
    What I don't get it is why don't they just use plastic backs? I took a look at iPhone 11 today and the backs felt more like plastic than actual glass. Additionally, it's odd that Apple keeps using glass instead of plastic films which are much more resistant to cracks and contrary to popular belief, can resist scratches pretty well while maintaining flexibility. Even if it does get scratched, the scratches can be removed by polishing them. There's a technology for that and why Apple keeps using glass which is proven to break easily is beyond my comprehension. If customers want the glass feel, they can simply add a glass film on top while keeping the plastic screen safe from cracks.
    I totally, agree.   Eyeglasses migrated from glass to plastic decades ago -- it's lighter, thinner and doesn't shatter like glass.   It's only drawback, as you mention, is scratches -- but even the old aluminum backs would scratch -- but a matt or textured finish would mostly solve that problem.     For the screen, a replaceable, tempered glass screen protector would solve that problem.

And, it doesn't have to be the cheap looking, gaudy plastic like they used on the old 5c.  High end, good looking stuff is available.
    netrox
  • Reply 46 of 56
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Get a case, get the insurance, get over it 
  • Reply 47 of 56
    Is there such a thing as an adjustable case that can fit different size phones? That would make me feel better spending the money on one.
    And I would love to buy tires for my car that never need to be replaced. At least the cases are (usually) cheaper.
  • Reply 48 of 56
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    apple ][ said:

If somebody is worried about their phone dropping and if certain people are more careless and accident prone than others, then go put your phone in a case maybe.

I don't have the newest iPhone, but if I did, I'd use it naked, like I always have done with my previous phones. I wouldn't want to cover up the nice design and feel of it. I've had my current iPhone for a couple of years now and it's still going strong. I have never dropped it once, either intentionally or accidentally.

I'm not accident prone, but you're a better man than me. I've dropped mine - in a clear case with a tempered glass screen cover probably 30-40 times the last two years (several on to tile floors and at least once onto cement). I've gone through two screen protectors (on my third) but the phone looks like new and functions as well as when I got it.

So I wouldn't even think about not having external protection. I'm also outta business without my phone, so being without it a few days is a nightmare scenario. 

Works well, keeps working well, does what I need and does it well are the metrics I value most. With an emphasis on photography, so an 11 pro Max is on my list.  Looking at it is far down the list after the first two or three days.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 49 of 56
    netrox said:
    What I don't get it is why don't they just use plastic backs? 
    Two words: wireless charging.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    kevin kee said:
    netrox said:
    What I don't get it is why don't they just use plastic backs? 
    Two words: wireless charging.
    No, I think that's a metal back.
  • Reply 51 of 56
    spod said:
    Nowhere does Apple say their new stronger glass will prevent breakage when dropped from particular heights. Try toughness tests based on scratching from sitting in your pocket with keys, heating from sitting in the sun in your car etc.  When Apple puts a suspension system with patented digital shock absorbers in their phone THEN start dropping it.  It’d be a whole lot less expensive to do the tests too! Fancy dropping $1000+ phones to get them to smash.  Do they make false insurance claims afterwards? <insert deep sigh here>
    I've been saying this for sometime iPhones with glass backs is a design flaw, style over substance and the repairs a cash cow for Apple. My Xs fell from. a restaurant table when bumped, now I face a $600 repair of the back panel. Please don't mention the glass is there for charging when I know nobody that charges their phone without using a wire charger. I won't buy another iPhone unless Apple changes this terrible design.  
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 52 of 56
    spice-boy said:
    spod said:
    Nowhere does Apple say their new stronger glass will prevent breakage when dropped from particular heights. Try toughness tests based on scratching from sitting in your pocket with keys, heating from sitting in the sun in your car etc.  When Apple puts a suspension system with patented digital shock absorbers in their phone THEN start dropping it.  It’d be a whole lot less expensive to do the tests too! Fancy dropping $1000+ phones to get them to smash.  Do they make false insurance claims afterwards? <insert deep sigh here>
    I've been saying this for sometime iPhones with glass backs is a design flaw, style over substance and the repairs a cash cow for Apple. My Xs fell from. a restaurant table when bumped, now I face a $600 repair of the back panel. Please don't mention the glass is there for charging when I know nobody that charges their phone without using a wire charger. I won't buy another iPhone unless Apple changes this terrible design.  
    That is a real shame....   I don't blame you a bit for feeling that way.
    spice-boy
  • Reply 53 of 56
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    These people are stupid. Physics exist.

I've had iPhones SLAM into the ground without a scratch and other unlucky times have a light fall on a softer surface and break the screen and the insides to the point it's non-functional.

These YouTube morons will drop an iPhone and if it hits a certain way it will shatter then they'll claim it's crap even if 99% of android iWannabes have also copied Apples EXACT glass and manufacturer.

DAalseth said:
    The thing about glass is it all depends on how it hits. I've had regular glass jars land on concrete and bounce several times without cracking. I've also dropped the same jars from a few inches and had them seem to explode.

Same here. The weirdest thing I've ever seen was, I placed a jar full of purified water into the backseat of a car and it EXPLODED!! I was so confused.

• Reply 54 of 56
    Err... maybe just take more care of your property, stop walking round like a phone-zombie, stop trying to hold the phone and operate it one-handed, and maybe you won't drop it. It's not rocket-science.
  • Reply 55 of 56
    um ... its glass. even bullet proof glass breaks. it is a $1,000 computer in your pocket, treat it with some care. i have only once, ever, since 2007 dropped an iphone. it dinged the sides and chipped. lucky. but if the glass broke i would not be whinging about it--it is glass.