Bearish Apple analyst continues trend of bashing iPhone sales

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    sirozha said:
    Explain to me how the iPhone 8 is fundamentally different from iPhone 7 that those with the iPhone 7 must upgrade this year. 

I have an iPhone 7 and am not planning to upgrade. 
    The 8 is not, but the X and the Xr and the 11 all are. The screen size vs the size of the phone and the switch to eliminate the home button and move too faceID all have a major effect on usability. General performance improvement and enhanced cameras all lead to a nice upgrade assuming any of those things matter to you. 

With the price difference between the Xr and the 11 at only $100, I think the 11 is the better value IMHO. But if the more advanced camera features don't excite you, you can save some money buying the Xr.

All that said the 7 should be supported through the next OS release at a minimum so if it is doing everything you need there is no harm in waiting.

One final thought. I know people paying $150 for cable TV and refuse to purchase a new $400 TV to watch it on. There is a point at which you can get more out of the service you are paying good money for if you have a newer device and that should factor in. IMHO
  • Reply 42 of 52
    sirozha said:
    slurpy said:
    Imagine how much money you would have lost, and potential gains that would be in the toiler, if you actually listened to this fuckwit? And yet, he gets paid a shitload of money in order to publicize his "views", while I could do a better job of predicting Apple's stock price. What a useless asshole.
    Those who rode the market went from $232 to $147 to $224 in less than a year and made nothing in a year on AAPL. Those who sold last fall and bought last winter made a lot of money. 

On October 6, 2018, AAPL price of $150 seemed impossible. On December 24, 2018, AAPL cost $147.  
    You mean the exact same time Apple heavily bought back shares and never challenged any of these false assertions until after they had made their buy backs? Yeah, that time.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 43 of 52
    i would like to say, "wow! this is newsworthy" but this is what they have done forever. and are nearly always wrong.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,380member
    I appreciate that AI started off the article by pointing out this fool’s bias and (finally, at the end) pointing out that he’s also consistently wrong, wouldn’t it be better to stop giving an obvious wannabe market manipulator less oxygen by refusing to publish his rubbish?

If you have to refer to him at all, as one might with a comparison piece, how about the phrase “constantly wrong” rather than the much more diplomatic “consistently bearish?” Or perhaps just a simple “credibility-free analyst Jun Zhang?”
    randominternetpersonmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 52
    sirozha said:
    doctwelve said:
    Apple dividends are too high and their stock price too low. Cut dividends completely so that stock price was the only way to make more money and let's see what these analysts have to say about Apple. 
    STFU. The Dividend is actually too low for it's valuation and leverage over the industry. It's a massive growth stock with a weak dividend right now.
    A massive growth stock that grew nothing in a year. 
    She me where Tim Cook said "Apple is growth stock, and we are dedicated to maximizing that stock price growth."  Apple is what is it, and part of what it offers investors is a modest dividend.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Rajka said:
    Apple was far more exciting when it delivered products that its customers pined for, champing at the bits to update the latest hardware and software revisions with a sprinkling of services thrown in (that usually petered out over time). Apple is just another behemoth corporation these days. Boring. In fact, worse than boring, it's making changes in the OS for example that will stop me from even upgrading any longer. I don't care for walled gardens that a vendor can lock anytime at their whim. That is by definition the very opposite of personal computing. Shame on Apple. It once defined the very essence of personal computing.
    The iPhone was always a walled garden so you’re full of it. Only a small fraction of sales go to yearly updaters. The vast majority wait 2-4 years. Always been the case. 

As for being boring, it’s a mature product. 
  • Reply 48 of 52
    puggsly said:
    sirozha said:
    Explain to me how the iPhone 8 is fundamentally different from iPhone 7 that those with the iPhone 7 must upgrade this year. 

The 8 is not, but the X and the Xr and the 11 all are. The screen size vs the size of the phone and the switch to eliminate the home button and move too faceID all have a major effect on usability. General performance improvement and enhanced cameras all lead to a nice upgrade assuming any of those things matter to you. 

With the price difference between the Xr and the 11 at only $100, I think the 11 is the better value IMHO. But if the more advanced camera features don't excite you, you can save some money buying the Xr.

All that said the 7 should be supported through the next OS release at a minimum so if it is doing everything you need there is no harm in waiting.

One final thought. I know people paying $150 for cable TV and refuse to purchase a new $400 TV to watch it on. There is a point at which you can get more out of the service you are paying good money for if you have a newer device and that should factor in. IMHO
    Since they are putting the same A10 in the newest iPad, the 7 should be supported far beyond that -- likely the next 3, 4 or 5 OS releases.

I like it because, while it runs well, the only way I can get a smaller iPhone is to move up into the -pro line for several hundred extra dollars.

• Reply 49 of 52
    chasm said:
    I appreciate that AI started off the article by pointing out this fool’s bias and (finally, at the end) pointing out that he’s also consistently wrong, wouldn’t it be better to stop giving an obvious wannabe market manipulator less oxygen by refusing to publish his rubbish?

If you have to refer to him at all, as one might with a comparison piece, how about the phrase “constantly wrong” rather than the much more diplomatic “consistently bearish?” Or perhaps just a simple “credibility-free analyst Jun Zhang?”
    Was he wrong when AAPL hit $147 last December?
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 50 of 52
    netmage said:
    sirozha said:

The iPhone 8 is two years old - and one year newer than the iPhone 7; how is that relevant?

But, since you asked, the iPhone 8 Plus is the last model with TouchID with a much faster CPU and has 3GB of RAM. This likely means a couple years more supported life compared to the 7. If you like to keep your phones for a long time and want TouchID, it is a reasonable upgrade unless a TouchID larger SE is released in the spring. 
    ^This^.

I just upgraded to an 8.  I have zero interest in faceID, so I'm getting the last, best, touchID model, and plan to keep it for a long time.  Hopefully in the meantime some kind of authorization technique that doesn't require a me-facing camera will come along. 

Even disregarding my distaste for an internet-connected camera staring me in the face all the time, it's really common to want to do a quick check to see what time it is, and that means waking the device (without attracting attention) as it heads out of your pocket, and glancing down without lifting the phone or the way I do it, without even taking it all the way out of my pocket.  Long live touchID.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    blah64 said:
    netmage said:
    sirozha said:

The iPhone 8 is two years old - and one year newer than the iPhone 7; how is that relevant?

But, since you asked, the iPhone 8 Plus is the last model with TouchID with a much faster CPU and has 3GB of RAM. This likely means a couple years more supported life compared to the 7. If you like to keep your phones for a long time and want TouchID, it is a reasonable upgrade unless a TouchID larger SE is released in the spring. 
    ^This^.

I just upgraded to an 8.  I have zero interest in faceID, so I'm getting the last, best, touchID model, and plan to keep it for a long time.  Hopefully in the meantime some kind of authorization technique that doesn't require a me-facing camera will come along. 

Even disregarding my distaste for an internet-connected camera staring me in the face all the time, it's really common to want to do a quick check to see what time it is, and that means waking the device (without attracting attention) as it heads out of your pocket, and glancing down without lifting the phone or the way I do it, without even taking it all the way out of my pocket.  Long live touchID.
    When I press the side button on my new 11 Pro, the screen wakes up and I can read the time. FaceID is only required when unlocking the phone.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    blah64 said:
    netmage said:
    sirozha said:

^This^.

Once you're tried Apple Watch Series 5 with LTE you won't ever go back!   The phone will seldom even need to be in your pocket much less out of it.   They are pricey (for most people) but getting one is like going from a flip phone to a smart phone -- the difference is profound -- but hard to explain.  
    edited September 2019