Google Chrome update corrupting some macOS installs -- but there's a fix

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    Appleinsideuser:

Thank you for your reply!  :)   I will try to download the software (googled it, thanks!), but when putting my password in takes 20 minutes, it's hard to believe anything will download!  Good thing I'm retired.

Mike Wuerthele:

Thank you also for your reply!  :)  I live 3 hours from the nearest Genius Bar, so it will have to wait until I travel to the city for something else.  

To both:
    I still don't understand why the code recommended in this thread "chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD" didn't work.  Any ideas on that?
  • Reply 42 of 56
    Appleinsideuser:

Thank you for your reply!  :)   I will try to download the software (googled it, thanks!), but when putting my password in takes 20 minutes, it's hard to believe anything will download!  Good thing I'm retired.

Mike Wuerthele:

Thank you also for your reply!  :)  I live 3 hours from the nearest Genius Bar, so it will have to wait until I travel to the city for something else.  

To both:
    I still don't understand why the code recommended in this thread "chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD" didn't work.  Any ideas on that?
    Patience is a virtue! :-) [oh this forum doesn’t cope with Emojis very well, the sysadmin needs to sort out the unicode settings. I tried to put a winking face in there]

Yes, it’s a puzzle why you get:
    chroot: /Volumes/Macintosh HD: No such file or directory
    are you sure it’s not:
    chroot: /Volumes/Macintosh HD: Operation not permitted

Either way, both Mike and I agree it’s unlikely to be your problem, plus those commands are scary and could nicely screw up your Mac if they go wrong, so best leave it.

One more thought, make sure you don’t have any other devices plugged into your Mac whilst doing this test. Faulty external disk drives for instance, can make everything crawl on your Mac.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 43 of 56
    Appleinsideruser:

Patience is definitely a virtue.  Luckily I am retired, so I really have time for the first and no need for the second.   ;)
    Funny, my emojis seem to work, but i am using a PC. 
    I appreciate you helping me with this.

In the code provided, there was a blackslash between Macintosh and HD, like this:

"chroot /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD".  But in yours there was not....

So I am going to try it again without the blackslash.

The message was definitely not "Operation not permitted", but I would have to run it again to get exact text.

I have two DVDs that came with the laptop.  One is a Mac OS X Install DVD, and the other is an Apple Hardware Test DVD, which I tried.  When booting up, you hold down the D KEY.  The DVD has printing on the disc that says, "The tests performed will help determine if you have a hardware problem or a software problem."  I ran both the regular test and the Extended test, and for both, received a message "no trouble found".  So I hope this means that there is nothing wrong with my hardware.

• Reply 44 of 56
    OK, all good, the DVD check suggests your hardware is OK! Let go of trying to run that command. It’s unlikely to be the issue and you might damage your OS if it goes wrong.

Please run EtreCheck and see if it can highlight the issue. Post its diagnosis here. Do this without anything connected to your Mac.

Enjoy the journey... ;-)
  • Reply 45 of 56
    OK, I will try.   And I never have anything connected to the Mac.  It is a wireless connection to the home network and printer. 
    But if you knew how long everything takes....putting my password in takes 20 minutes with the spinning wheel...
    Do you think it would work if i downloaded EtreCheck onto a thumbdrive from my PC and then try to load onto the Mac from there?

• Reply 46 of 56
    So I just checked and downloading onto a thumbdrive from PC doesn't work because I have to do it from the Apple Store.  
    I'll let you know how I get along on this exciting blissful journey....!

• Reply 47 of 56
    There is an option to Download directly from Etresoft. Bliss!
  • Reply 48 of 56
    Hi, A quick update.  It took a while, but I finally got EtreCheck to download and run.  It has been running for more than 24 hours now, and the status bar is about halfway. I'll let you know what it says when it is finished....hopefully tomorrow!

• Reply 49 of 56
    Wow! That’s extraordinary... Something is certainly very wrong. Let’s wait and see... 
    missantarctica5
  • Reply 50 of 56
    Hi!  So EtreCheck finished sometime during the night and this morning, while watching paint dry, grass grow and kettle boil, I was able to print the report.  Lots of issues.  I have attached a scan.  

I think I will have to trek to the Apple Genius store.  I hope that they will be able to ghost the failing HD (assuming that the failing one is the storage?)  I used to back up to a WD external wireless hard drive, but it stopped working and I didn't replace it or get it fixed.  :-(

I don't know why it can't detect my operating system; I have been using Yosemite for a few years without an issue.   

Anyway.....thank you so much for your help and virtuous patience.  If you see anything in the report that I could do to avoid the trip to Apple, please let me know.

Cheers,
    Sandy

• Reply 51 of 56
    Well, well. It thinks your hard drive is failing, which it might be given the very slow measured I/O speeds — this could explain the slowdown you are experiencing. However, the multiple Anti Virus programs are definitely a problem. They will each be checking and double checking everything. I recommend uninstalling them all and seeing what happens. (Personally I don’t use any anti-virus on my Macs; never have. But I couldn’t possibly recommend you do the same on a public forum ;-) ).

Also clear out any unnecessary clutter from the User Login items you’ll find in System Preferences -> Users & Groups -> Login Options. One of them is apparently Samsung Kies (luspredownloader.app).

If this doesn’t help, buy a new external disk and get a time machine backup! It might be the last thing this Mac can do, but it’ll allow you to restore all your work once you get your Mac’s internal hard drive replaced by an SSD. That will really speed up your Mac and is worth doing anyway!

Keep smiling Sandy!
    All the best...
    missantarctica5
  • Reply 52 of 56
    A quick update in case you are curious:
    I uninstalled Avast and 2 instances of Malwarebytes (?) and ordered a hard drive a few days ago.  Performance improved, but still deadly slow.
    The drive came yesterday, a 2 TB My Passport - it is very small and lovely.  But Time Machine wouldn't recognize it, so I had to reformat it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled).  

Thank you, Google, for helping me with those three tasks :smile: 

I started a backup with Time Machine in the afternoon.  20 hours later, it has backed up 26 GB of 379 GB, so I think it will take about 2 weeks!  And then I will make a trip to Apple and I'll replace the hard drive and maybe get more memory too.

Thanks again for your help!
    Sandy

• Reply 53 of 56
    You’re welcome Sandy and sounds like a perfect outcome! You’ll be back up and running in minutes/hours/days/weeks/months... (delete as appropriate).
    If you know someone handy with a (special) screwdriver you can order a replacement SSD and fit it yourself. You will need lots of Google help again, but you can buy RAM and SSDs from https://www.crucial.com/ and avoid the long drive to Apple. Use https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=macbook pro 2013 to get instructions on the SSD swap job. Once you’ve done the swap, you can restore from your new currently-still-in-progress backup.
    An SSD will make a huge difference! So however you choose to do it, don’t replace your existing, dying HD with a traditional spinning hard drive (Apple might insist on this, but don’t do it, it’ll be sooo sloooow). Extra RAM (at least 8 GB) will also be nice and will help you enjoy your MacBook for a few more years!

Cheers
    Dave
    missantarctica5
  • Reply 54 of 56
    awesome advice, Dave, thank you! 
    I think I will ask the Apple people to do upgrade HD and memory, and if they won't, or if they want to charge way too much, I will DIY.  Or at least try to...I am somewhat intimidated after watching videos where you have to be so careful about what not to touch....and of course I don't have the proprietary screwdriver.

BTW, the backup is going much more quickly than anticipated.  It was 2/3 done at suppertime, and I just checked, and somehow it's nearly done!  It says "finishing backup".  So I requested an Apple appointment.

:-)
    Sandy

• Reply 55 of 56
    You’re welcome Sandy and sounds like a perfect outcome! You’ll be back up and running in minutes/hours/days/weeks/months... (delete as appropriate).
    If you know someone handy with a (special) screwdriver you can order a replacement SSD and fit it yourself. You will need lots of Google help again, but you can buy RAM and SSDs from https://www.crucial.com/ and avoid the long drive to Apple. Use https://www.ifixit.com/Search?query=macbook pro 2013 to get instructions on the SSD swap job. Once you’ve done the swap, you can restore from your new currently-still-in-progress backup.
    An SSD will make a huge difference! So however you choose to do it, don’t replace your existing, dying HD with a traditional spinning hard drive (Apple might insist on this, but don’t do it, it’ll be sooo sloooow). Extra RAM (at least 8 GB) will also be nice and will help you enjoy your MacBook for a few more years!

Cheers
    Dave
    Hi Dave, a quick update for you.  The Apple people were able to upgrade storage to 1 TB SSD, memory to 16 GB and restore all my data from backup :-).  It didn't break the bank and I was able to pick up the same day.  I keep my little My Passport attached and it backs up every hour.  
    At home, I upgraded my OS to High Sierra from Yosemite, which I needed to run Adobe Lightroom. 
    So a happy ending to my story! 
    Thanks again for all of your wonderful help. 
    Merry Christmas and all the best in 2020!
    Sandy
    gatorguy
  • Reply 56 of 56
    What a fabulous outcome! You’re very welcome Sandy.
    Merry Christmas and a Happy (backed up) New Year!!
    ߘ谟 (wow, I forgot, seasonal emojis don’t work here)

PS, just a paranoid additional thought. I was once burgled and they took my Mac and my adjacent backup disk. So these days, I have an extra Time Machine hidden elsewhere (and an off site-backup at a friends that I update occasionally) and most of my key stuff in iCloud too. This could be Over The Top, but maybe food for thought. Depends on your situation and what you value...
    edited December 2019