Hands on with the ceramic Apple Watch Edition Series 5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Looks like cheap plastic and ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that will be outdated in 2 years. Even the series 4 is cut from having features in OS 6 due to hardware limitations.  Buy the cheapest Apple Watch case material because the expensive case materials offer no benefit as far as functionality.  All it shows is that you overpaid for a watch.  

People that still use an iPhone 6 cannot even update any Apple Watch to OS 6 unless they buy a new phone because the watch requires iOS 13, which has nothing to do with the WatchOS.  I have a Series 2 that is pretty much zero value these days and it is just over two years old.  At least it was only $349, not $1,299.  
    Nope. It shows you have materials preferences and the ability to pay for them. I’ve had both sport and steel models and to me the steel far outshines the aluminum material for reasons. Thus, I have no issue paying for it despite one day it being obsolete. 

But you know what I won’t pay for? Diamonds and expensive jewelry, which to our household are worthless but which most enjoy. 

In life, YMMV. 
    Both intrinsic and residual value to gold and diamonds.

Resale value is supposed to be one of the advantages to Apple products. Aren't gold and diamonds even more liquid and less likely to lose value as long as you were smart when purchasing them?

FWIW my wife isn't big on diamonds either and certainly not an attachment to gold...
    ...except that the platinum engagement ring I bought her is particularly impressive and I was lucky to purchase it at wholesale thru my brother who was a diamond broker. When she has it on she gets a lot of compliments about it which of course makes her feel good to wear it. So there's that. Even tho I can't imagine her selling it it is worth far more than I paid for it. Not likely to be something she sticks in a forgotten drawer or gives away anytime soon either.

sirozha said:
    If Apple could guarantee that the ceramic and titanium watches can have their internals upgraded for $500 for the next X number of years, there would be many times more people buying these ceramic and titanium watches. Their internals should be able to be upgraded to newer internals for at least three years following their release to justify their higher price. 
    Nah. For those with the disposable income it doesn’t matter, you can give away or sell or put it in a drawer and forget about it. 
    Doesn’t sound like you’re up for this sort of spending, but that doesn’t mean no one is. 
    Your presumption that the only people who care about value are the ones who can't afford nice stuff to begin with is downright silly and not true. Stretch to put down another poster's opinion much?  

Question: Do you know folks who truly CAN afford anything yet buy nice used cars/trucks rather than new, or second hand jewelry, or other goods used/refurbished instead new retail? Any of them still use 3-5 year old iPhones, or even buy (oh the horror!) Android smartphones? 
    Yeah smart and truly rich guys often pay attention to how much they pay for something. They care despite your claim they don't. 

Smart-stuff will sooner rather than later become all but worthless. While some folks such as yourself have no issue with that many of the wealthiest folks in the world still try to avoid paying more than needed, particularly for physical goods that quickly depreciate or worse become valueless in just a few years time. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 22 of 23
    Looks like cheap plastic and ridiculous to spend that kind of money on something that will be outdated in 2 years. Even the series 4 is cut from having features in OS 6 due to hardware limitations.  Buy the cheapest Apple Watch case material because the expensive case materials offer no benefit as far as functionality.  All it shows is that you overpaid for a watch.  
    Many people wear this mini computers every day so having an upscale option (which are also more durable) makes sense. My S0 lasted 4 years btw. If you can't afford or don't want to spend money on a nicer material, Apple designed the aluminium version just for people like you!
  • Reply 23 of 23
    Sliderule43Sliderule43 Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    With 3 stents, 20 year ago, I am a dedicated exerciser at a gym. 74 years old. Whether on elliptical or anything else, I exercise to my heart rate. The watch is within a beat of the gym machines, and lets me exercise up to my target. Lifting weights, I also exercise to my target rate, and immediately rest when the watch let’s me know I have jumped 20 beats over target. A comment on cost. My wife has the Hermes Series 2 double cuff, with tax and AppleCare, about $ 1750. Not a wise purchase for a tech item that is already obsolete. No cellular. Regret that purchase. It’s in the drawer, as she wears her series 5 SS cellular daily, blockquote class="Quote">
    If this will encourage somebody to get an Apple Watch who otherwise would not wear the more mechanical look of the aluminum version that would be great -- Not so much for Apple, but for them!   The Apple Watch has so many benefits -- particularly health related, that they will be the clear winners here.
    If this will encourage somebody to get an Apple Watch who otherwise would not wear the more mechanical look of the aluminum version that would be great -- Not so much for Apple, but for them!   The Apple Watch has so many benefits -- particularly health related, that they will be the clear winners here.