Review: 'Mario Kart Tour' on the iPhone and iPad falls short on nearly every front

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    About portrait mode - I hate it. It's like driving with horse blinkers on. I'm sure it saves a lot in rendering though.

Unfortunately it's not without precedent, MK now uses this mode for multi-player mode on console. (I hate it there too.)
    I would prefer if it was in landscape mode like the single-player console version (and original SNES Mario Kart multi-player.)
    Mario Kart is simple enough to let the user steer on screen, or through a MFi controller.

Nintendo like the casual nature of single-finger gaming, but it's too simple to be enjoyable. 
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    Mario Kart Tour is a mixed bag. From the look and feel I was suspicious from the very first start and committed to not pay anything (I am a long Mario Kart player since the N64). So I tried to find out how to get the most fun out of it and got lucky, here is what I did to enjoy it:

1) It's NOT about coming 1st place. It's about getting the highest score and the 5 stars on every track
    2) It's NOT like the original Mario Kart. If you want that, play the original.
    3) It's NOT good in the default steering settings. Turn off auto steering makes it way more responsive.
    4) It WILL get progressively more difficult to get 5 stars (and move from the simple "Finish!" to the much harder "Complete!" state per Cup. The game got me really busy last night for several hours trying to do that.

Also, levelling is restricted per day and that works for me because I will casually play it until the daily limit is complete. Clearly, there is lots of replay value in the different characters and if you don't fall for the money milking scheme, it is fully enjoyable. The only way to get disappointed is by having specific expectations.

For a free game it's pretty good but I agree that it will be a money trap if you can't handle it.
    Savywatto_cobraalexfischer
  • Reply 23 of 27
    robjn said:
    Let’s have some reviews of Apple Arcade games.
    Those aren't even worth reviewing.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    I feel like you went into the game with high expectations. Yes it’s not the console Mario karts but it’s good for what it is. The game was easy at 1st cuz no one knew the controls to well as you are going against the ghost of other players but the bots are more challenging now, especially if you get to the higher cups. I also think you didn’t put much time into the game cuz it’s give out a lot of rubies, I’ve gotten over 200 by just leveling up and doing the challenges. I will admit I don’t like how the game kind of steers for you but the game did just come out, you gotta give them time to look at peoples opinion and fix what they can. Honestly it’s really good for it being a mobile Mario kart and online
    multiplayer is gonna be here soon, I just wish they would let you get more exp and coins in a day
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    Fair enough if this is what Nintendo are now all about. But there’s a gambling category in the App Store, and apps like this belong there. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 27
    Nothing Nintendo has brought to iOS has been any good at all. It has been pure junk.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    Eh, I disagree. I haven't found an Apple Arcade game that I've enjoyed playing yet (they all seem very basic?). Whereas I've loved Mario Kart Tour (opted to purchase the first pack and gold pass) and have spent close to 10 hours playing since launch. It's a richer gaming experience than I expected, and even if I only get another 20 hours total out of it, I don't think paying $1/hour for a game is outrageous. 

I do hope they improve the steering options a bit... as well as make the gold pass transferrable between devices signed into the same account. 
    You didn't like Sonic Racing which in my opinion is way better then this poor verison of Mario Kart?? No depth in Oceanhorn 2?? I mean we all have our own likes and dislikes but find your comment surprising on Apple Arcade. Interested in what games you have tried??
    I tried Sonic Racing for about half an hour. I frankly still prefer the controls and a lot of other things in Mario Kart. 

The game metic is set up around stars, not placing 1st, which means it does take practice hitting targets and making jumps in order to reach the later maps.

I think Nintendo made a nice game, and I hope they still improve it a lot. It sounds like you were expecting a lot and because the game is just “ok” you’re pissed. I felt the same about Super Mario Run. I’m just saying I’ve played another 10 hours now and I’m still entertained.

Call it convenient gaming, It’s easy to put in a race in 2 minutes. Call it a slot machine, that never pays out beyond some flashy graphics. It’s free to download and try. In a world where IGP is a standard model this one ain’t half bad.