Why Apple Arcade will push mobile gaming in the right direction

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 21
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Quick tip for Apple Arcade use: make sure you're signed in to both iCloud and Game Center before playing games. Game saves won't show up across all of your devices without doing that. Might seem obvious to some, but I don't log into Game Center that often when using App Store games and made that mistake when I first started using Apple Arcade.

So far, I really like how everything has worked. Oceanhorn 2 has been a good test for graphic differences since it's using the Unreal Engine. The A8 performance with the 4th gen ATV is pretty much what I expected: simpler lighting, lower-res textures, lower polygon count for some things, more pop-in for objects as you run around. It still looks good relative to other ATV games I've played. A9X on my iPad Pro is a significant jump up graphically and in many ways is difficult to tell the difference vs. the A12 on my iPhone XS. The A12 is more about extra touches and polish for the experience like heat distortion when using bombs/fire spells + really high end lighting effects. Some of my inability to tell as much difference between those two versions may be due to the smaller screen on the iPhone. For example, differences in detail present in draw distance can't really be done.
    That graphic scalability bodes well for future ATV hardware, maybe a dedicated gaming version (or a cheaper non-gaming version - or stick!)
    Like several commenters I think a non-mobile Apple GPU is coming.  I assumed the release platform would be the Mac, maybe not.
    watto_cobra