Apple refining OLED screen penetration tech for removal of iPhone notch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    All of this to get around having a little bit of bezel. Really, really stupid. lkrupp said:
    But, but, but...   What then will the NotcHeads have to complain about?

The notch keeps them busy and out of trouble.

#KeepTheNotch!
    In the real world no one cares
    I wouldn't go that far. Every single developer cares. The notch is the stupidest thing to ever come to the concept of the computer display. And only arrogant Apple could get away with it.
    Did you forget your sarcasm tag!? It’s absolutely not a big deal. It has zero negative affect in my life. It’s no more bothersome than the rear-view window in my windshield. 
    It makes the usable space of the iPhone less. And awkward to work with. It is a benefit to NO ONE and an obstacle for every single developer in the world. There is nothing good about it. Only bad. 

You can pretend that it doesn't bother you as a user, but thats just delusion. It would be better if it were not there, and it will be better when it is not there anymore. Unfortunately we'll still be dealing with it for a decade as these few generations of devices with notches fade into obsolescence.

How does it make the usable space less? what was the space on either side of the speaker used for before? (I'll give you a hint: NOTHING!) What the notch did was actually take advantage of that space. 
    DAalseth said:
    I’ve played with an XS and just recently an 11. Honestly within a few seconds I didn’t even see the notch any more. 
    Now having scattered dead pixels because they had to poke holes in the screen, THAT would be annoying. But I suspect Apple will do everything possible to hide them. For me, It’s not an issue, I’m looking at getting an 11 and the notch is irrelevant.
    This, exactly. I have to say that I never notice the notch in my Xs

edited October 2019 tmaywatto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 22 of 28
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    All of this to get around having a little bit of bezel. Really, really stupid. lkrupp said:

#KeepTheNotch!
    I wouldn't go that far. Every single developer cares. The notch is the stupidest thing to ever come to the concept of the computer display. And only arrogant Apple could get away with it.

Now you are just talking silly. Every developer cares?  Apple is arrogant and getting away with something because they chose to deal with the Face ID cameras in this way until the tech allows otherwise?  Come on now... .
    StrangeDaystmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Keep the notch. It’s the only thing that prevents it from being a featureless slab.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 24 of 28
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Of course, it is always possible that one reason Apple might be able to eventually do away with the notch is it has finally developed a commercial version of its patent from waaaay back in 2004, which used the whole screen itself as the sensor for image taking etc. I believe there was a particular Apple fan blog with Insider Knowledge that picked it up and coverd the patent a couple of years later.
    Oh yes, here it is: https://appleinsider.com/articles/06/04/27/interesting_apple_filings_surface_in_patent_databases.html 

Integrated sensing display

Another Apple patent filing —originally overlooked by the media —has alos suddenly garnered attention from various online outlets. The filing, titled \"Integrated sensing display,\" was first filed on Jun. 21, 2004 and later published on Jan. 12, 2006.

In the filing, Apple engineers describe a new kind of computer display that can simultaneously take photos while displaying media on the screen.

The idea behind the invention is to wedge thousands of microscopic image sensors between the LCD cells that make up the display. Each sensor would be responsible for capturing a piece of the overall photo. These pieces would then almost instantly be pieced together by software to form a complete image. 

edited October 2019 radarthekattmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

#KeepTheNotch!
    Did you forget your sarcasm tag!? It’s absolutely not a big deal. It has zero negative affect in my life. It’s no more bothersome than the rear-view window in my windshield. 
    It makes the usable space of the iPhone less. And awkward to work with. It is a benefit to NO ONE and an obstacle for every single developer in the world. There is nothing good about it. Only bad. 

You can pretend that it doesn't bother you as a user, but thats just delusion. It would be better if it were not there, and it will be better when it is not there anymore. Unfortunately we'll still be dealing with it for a decade as these few generations of devices with notches fade into obsolescence.
    Do you actually own an iphone with it? Please explain in detail what on earth you’re going on about.

Its a gain of space, not a loss. Typical phones without have a forehead, which is lost space.  
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member

lkrupp said:

#KeepTheNotch!

That’s sick logic. Someone who disagrees with your opinion is delusional? "Every single developer” hates the notch? You sound like the proverbial Android weirdo who claims only stupid people buy Apple products. Get a grip, man.
    I don't engage in this internet opinion facade, where everyone pretends they have an equally valid opinion. They don't. I speak with authority, on the things I'm qualified to speak about, and don't really care if you want to "disagree". There isn't anything to disagree with. Developers hate the notch, and are counting the days until it is gone. It adds nothing. And only detracts. This isn't an opinion. And it wasn't the first time.
    Nah. That’s pure opinion. You’re no authority. 
    llamatmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    lkrupp said:

#KeepTheNotch!
    You only see the notch complaints in forums like this one. In the real world no one cares and have adapted easily to it. But as you point out, the negative types will indeed find something else to complain about, probably about the lack of a notch then. Rest assured, they’ll find something to be unhappy, disappointed, disgruntled about.
    Agreed. The Apple detractors will simply move the goalposts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 28
    lkrupp said:

#KeepTheNotch!

That’s sick logic. Someone who disagrees with your opinion is delusional? "Every single developer” hates the notch? You sound like the proverbial Android weirdo who claims only stupid people buy Apple products. Get a grip, man.
    I don't engage in this internet opinion facade, where everyone pretends they have an equally valid opinion. They don't. I speak with authority, on the things I'm qualified to speak about, and don't really care if you want to "disagree". There isn't anything to disagree with. Developers hate the notch, and are counting the days until it is gone. It adds nothing. And only detracts. This isn't an opinion. And it wasn't the first time.
    I kinda like the notch. Gives the phone character. I hope they don't figure out a way to get rid of it. That would be sad.