Apple releases first developer beta of iOS 13.2, iPadOS 13.2 with Deep Fusion [u]

Posted:
in iOS edited October 2019
Following the release of iOS 13.1 and iPadOS 13.1, Apple has restarted the testing cycle once again, this time testing out the first developer beta of iOS 13.2, iPadOS 13.2, and tvOS 13.2 alongside a second beta of watchOS 6.1.

Following a somewhat problematic milestone release of iOS 13, then the update to iOS 13.1 and the release of iPadOS the following week on September 24, then a further incremental update to version 13.1.1, Apple is again looking towards the next main release of the operating systems to version 13.2.

The new builds can be downloaded from the Apple Developer Center for participants in the Developer Beta program, as well as via an over-the-air update for hardware already used for beta software. Public beta versions of the developer builds are usually issued within a few days of their counterparts, and can be acquired from the Apple Beta Software Program site.

One addition arriving as part of the beta is Deep Fusion, a feature for the iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro models that enhances the photographs taken by combining together multiple shots into one. After taking three frames at a fast shutter speed by the time the shutter is pressed, the iPhone then takes three more regular shots and a "synthetic long exposure" shot, before merging the short-exposure shot with the most detail with the long exposure.

The two images are then processed for noise and four detail processing steps that tailor different elements of the shot on a pixel-by-pixel basis as part of the blending process.

Apple has also released watchOS 6.1 beta 2 and tvOS 13.2 beta 1 as well. Changes in both other releases on Wednesday are not yet known.

Both AppleInsider and Apple itself strongly recommend users don't install the betas on to "mission-critical" or primary devices, as there is the remote possibility of data loss or other issues. Instead, testers should install betas onto secondary or non-essential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of important data before updating.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Update: Public betas are now available.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    The release notes don't mention DF...
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 2 of 8
    Still on iPhone X - so nothing for me here... (sounds like a v. good update for 11 users)
    llama
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Whether it has Deep Fusion then let´s party begin. Bring up your sweaters :-)
  • Reply 4 of 8
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    Man, I hope this update fixes FaceID. My wife’s iPhone XR has not worked with FaceID since she upgraded to iOS 13 a week ago.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    iOS 13.2 public beta available. 
    edited October 2019 longpath
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Is there any indication of when running Shortcuts from Apple Watch will work again? Every time I try I get an error message. 
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Is there any indication of when running Shortcuts from Apple Watch will work again? Every time I try I get an error message. 
    Should work on this beta. Maybe restarting both?
  • Reply 8 of 8
    saarek said:
    Man, I hope this update fixes FaceID. My wife’s iPhone XR has not worked with FaceID since she upgraded to iOS 13 a week ago.
    Nothing in the release notes about Face ID fixes. Probably best to contact Apple Support.