Compared: Apple's iPhone 11 Pro Max versus the Samsung Galaxy Note 10 and 10+

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,703member
    avon b7 said:
    The storage size wasn't mentioned at all? Is this not an important metric?

For $1099 the iPhone gives you 64GB while the Note gives you 256GB, big difference when you can simultaneously shoot with 4K on multiple cameras.

As for the screen, until the iPhone 11 came about, the Note was recognized as having the A+ screen.
    Then the Galaxy S11 will come out, and it will considered the best.

Then the Note 11 and then the iPhone 12 will be top until the next Galaxy flagship or until the iPhone comes along with its new micro led screen perhaps, who knows? It's swings and roundabouts.

To say any of the screens or cameras on any of these phones is significantly better than the other is rubbish really, they both have strengths and weaknesses.

Personally, I'd want more memory on an iPhone, 4GB in 2019 flagship costing up to $1499 is just being cheap. Sure, iOS does better with less ram but it also seems to struggle keeping certain apps open in the background.

Look what happened when apple threw a big battery in their new phones, instant battery god phone, why not double the memory, it wouldn't cost much and you'd make a lot of people happier, even 6GB would have made a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CusxWlCsTfQ

Anyway, both phones are great, choose the one you want.
    iPhone doesn’t need more RAM. Android knockoffs need the RAM because they’re less efficient due to their base system architecture and require more RAM to make up for it. 

As for storage space for videos, basically irrelevant if you’re using iCloud Photos; and at 99-cents a month, you should be. Past few years I’ve had the entry-level 64GB model and use half to two-thirds of it, since photos, videos, music, and messages are all on the cloud and keep only pointers on the device if and when space runs low. 
    A problem for many people is they run short on local storage. AFAIK, content it isn't saved directly to the cloud. It goes local and then is shunted up to the cloud. The shunting costs many people money and the more you shunt, the more it costs over a data connection.

And when people take more photos and videos is often away from home (no wi-fi).

Either way, 64GB is now below what should be shipping as a base configuration on flagship phones in this category.
    It's shot locally, synced to the cloud. When your device's space runs low iOS will delete older pictures, music, and apps, freeing up local space so you can continue filling it. You can control what is done via cellular. Most people with iPhones have wifi available to them at some point during the day, so your manufactured problem is not a problem in the real world. 

And no, you're absolutely wrong, 64gb is definitely an appropriate place to begin. I'm using two-thirds of that currently -- the same as I have the past two years. Why should I have to pay for additional storage I don't need, thanks to how iCloud works? 

I'll just chalk this up to you not knowing how iOS works.
    I know how iOS works but do not use iCloud for anything other than low data synching.

The only wi-fi anyone should trust with their photos is their home wi-fi. Hotel and other WiFi hotspots are ok for web use etc but people are reluctant to use it for anything else. You should understand that. That is without even getting into the subject of how long it actually takes to shunt the data around.

There are non wi-fi solutions for the lack of storage space beyond cloud storage but they are also paid.

The base 64GB is woefully inefficient for anyone taking photos and videos in large numbers. In fact, if you go back through iPhone releases, it is a constant complaint (along with upsell, of course).

Your only defence for this situation is for the user to work around the problem. A problem that simply shouldn't exist.

You've given your opinion. Here's another iPhone user:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/dear-apple-64gb-is-the-new-16gb-for-iphone-11-storage/

I'd say his experience is closer to the norm than yours.
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 42 of 44

LOL .. is that why displaymate the authority on displays declared the iPhone 11 pro screen the winner ?

You talk about opinions and your comments are nothing but that

The iPhone i11 is the fastest phone in the world.. not only does it win nearly every speed benchmark it also outlasted the Note 11 in battery life by 2 hours..

In fact the iPhone every years has been the fastest phone on the world for the last 5 years ..FACT..

You probably think android having. More ram memory (8 Gigs of ram ) gives it an advantage right ?  Instead of the real reason that Android apps run on an emulator since they run on Java and require tons more memory then apps running on iOS..

The average person with 20/20 vision can’t see more the 330 pixels per inch... but each pixel is made up by smaller dots..

Samsung already declared they make more money selling Apple screens then they do from selling the Galaxy and Note line of phones..

Android makers are at the mercy of using the android ecosystem because at this point android and iOS are so established no one else can make a phone and compete unless they use android .. Apple dominates western markets all over the world.  

Samsung competes against all the other android makers - all android makers compete against each other which is why most don’t make any money.. because Phone makers make money..  not iOS and only google makes money from Android..  

Everyone compares android to iOS.. 
    Only three phone manufacturers matter... Apple, Hauwei and Samsung.. only thing that matters is money .. Samsung and Hauwei has a net income  of 8 Billion (each)  from phone sales .. Apple was around 58 Billion after they paid their bills .. pretty obvious why Samsung admits they make more money selling Apple screens ..

As long as google is paying Apple a few billion each and every year just to have google as its main search engine that pretty much says whose running the show.. 

Samsung phones have always won awards for best display mainly because the resolution is higher. My phone has a higher resolution than the new iPhone. The iPhone only won best display this year (which is the only year it won)  because it gets brighter in doors. In my experience my S10 plus gets brighter with direct sunlight, but only by a small amount. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Terrible comparison and this why using numbers off a spec sheet is meaningless (though the Android fans love spec sheets).

For starters, no Android device display can touch the iPhone because Android has a horrible version of color management. Nobody can render content anywhere nearly as accurate as the iPhone. As to pixel count, both are so high nobody could ever tell the difference.

The brightness spec is wrong. You can measure peak brightness in a small area of the screen or over the entire screen. Bottom line is the iPhone has the brighter screen and Samsung is playing with numbers when they quote 1,200 nits.

Cameras? Try to record a video and switch between cameras during the video. The Note 10 often stutters and has to refocus when changing. The iPhone does this seamlessly.

Just a couple obvious examples.
    I love your comment about "Android has a horrible version of color management". And what would that system be? I'm gonna safely assume you have no idea how color management is handled by the Android OS. Oh and the Note 10 is more color accurate than the iphone 11 pro btw. Let's see what displaymate.com reviews of the iphone 11 pro max screen and the note 10 plus screen show in their testing. Iphone 11 Pro Max color accuracy scores (the lower the "JNCD" score the better). https://i.imgur.com/BIwpKe5.png And the Note 10 https://i.imgur.com/Z5lPME6.png Would you look at that. The Note 10 has the better color accuracy. But if you like the more vivid but less accurate look it's up to you. Just pick the display mode you want in settings. Choice! It's something Android is pretty good at :smile: Here is displaymates full review of the Iphone 11 Pro Max screen and Note 10 + for reference. You can see they are VERY through in their testing of displays.
    http://www.displaymate.com/iPhone_11Pro_ShootOut_1P.htm
    http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_Note10_ShootOut_1G.htm

Displaymate's closing summary of the Note 10 + screen. "The Galaxy Note10+ display delivers excellent image quality, has both Natural Color Accurate modes and a Vivid Mode with a Wide Color Gamut, has High Screen Brightness and low Reflectance, has good Viewing Angles, and is an all around top performing Smartphone display." "Overall Galaxy Note10+ Display Grade is Excellent A+ DisplayMate Best Smartphone Display Award An Excellent Top Tier World Class Smartphone Display Samsung continues to systematically improve OLED Displays"
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 44 of 44
    I was in the fence this year.  My phone came up for renewal and I really like the IOS environment.  I have most my music and movies through my ATV, macbook and iMac but oddly enough I've always had a Note (for the last 8 years).  I was ready to make the leap although the differences were not that great for the 10+ vs the 11 pro max.  Camera is important however I own 3 pro am cameras from Olympus and Nikon....so not the main reason.  I could see some basing their decision on the best image quality and from what I've seen iPhone take top honors. 

I made my decision on the data storage as I always end up doing.  256gb upgradeable to 1.2 tb vs 64gb   for the same price is just not acceptable.  But I was still willing to make the change until the $450 price drop on the note.   Kudos to Samsung.  They hit the price point at the exact right time.  I was in line waiting to upgrade.  So far the Note is absolutely gorgeous as I am sure the iPhone is.  I would have loved to have dipped my toe in the iPhone waters but even the iPhone x is selling for more than the Note 10plus on ebay.