Music industry pushing back against Apple Music, Apple TV+ master bundle

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    saarek said:
    matrix077 said:
    saarek said:
    Anyone know how to disable the Apple News + adverts in iOS? 

No way I’m paying £9.99 a month for news I get for free.
    Nothing in News+ you get for free. Everything in News you do. 
    I don’t want to see ads pushing me, within the Apple News App, to sign up for News+. The question was is there a way to disable it?

Since I upgraded to iOS 13 the ads have increased dramatically. I don’t care for magazines nor paid for news papers.
    Yes, you can disable the ads for only $9.99/mo. 
    Yep, the sort of dick move that’s on Android or Windows. There’s are a few reasons I pay stupid money over the odds for Apple products and lack of adverts is one of them.
    hmurchison
  • Reply 22 of 25
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    saarek said:
    saarek said:
    matrix077 said:
    saarek said:
    Anyone know how to disable the Apple News + adverts in iOS? 

No way I’m paying £9.99 a month for news I get for free.
    Nothing in News+ you get for free. Everything in News you do. 
    I don’t want to see ads pushing me, within the Apple News App, to sign up for News+. The question was is there a way to disable it?

Since I upgraded to iOS 13 the ads have increased dramatically. I don’t care for magazines nor paid for news papers.
    Yes, you can disable the ads for only $9.99/mo. 
    Yep, the sort of dick move that’s on Android or Windows. There’s are a few reasons I pay stupid money over the odds for Apple products and lack of adverts is one of them.
    There have always been ads in News, this isn’t a new development. It’s not like they’re difficult to ignore. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    If the Music industry is upset with Apple they can always negotiate deals with Spotify, Amazon and Alphabet.  We can see how that works out for them.

As someone who continues to buy physical media (vinyl), I have no problem paying a small fee for monthly media access (5-15€£$).  I don’t understand people who quibble over an amount that amounts to 1-3 Lattes a month.

Media of all forms enriches our lives and it is important for musicians, artists, writers, reporters to have an income to keep doing what they are doing.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    badmonk said:
    If the Music industry is upset with Apple they can always negotiate deals with Spotify, Amazon and Alphabet.  We can see how that works out for them.
    I don't think they want to negotiate with any of them if it opens the music industry to potentially smaller pieces of the revenue pie and less access to the people listening to the music.  Ceding control of media to big tech should make all of the providers and content producers wary. 
  • Reply 25 of 25
    gatorguy said:
    badmonk said:
    I don't think they want to negotiate with any of them if it opens the music industry to potentially smaller pieces of the revenue pie and less access to the people listening to the music.  Ceding control of media to big tech should make all of the providers and content producers wary. 
    The music publishers got into this mess in the first place because they prioritised profits over user experience. The move to digital media for music was made because (a) they could make the transition for relatively low cost and (b) they knew that a large portion of their customers would buy albums they already owned on vinyl just so they could play them on the new CD player that any new music would be coming out on. The CDs were easier to store and more convenient to play, but that was a distant third consideration.

Suddenly, they were faced with the threat of piracy. Rather than analyse the situation and determine WHY people were downloading electronic versions of (in most cases) individual songs, and maybe figuring out that unbundling songs from albums was an untapped market demand that could now be fulfilled cheaply enough to justify a shift in production, they stuck to their existing model and tried to pursue the pirates through the legal system.

Then Apple, which had taken the time to analyse the situation, appeared with an offer that would allow the music publishers to mitigate the piracy threat and keep the revenue flowing. The solution offered (a) a relatively low transition cost and (b) a large portion of their customers would buy downloadable versions of songs/albums they already owned. The music publishers were cautious but quickly acquiesced.

Here we are fifteen years later. Rather than analyse the market and build their own infrastructure, the music publishers have simply continued with the outsourced solution that minimised their hassle back when it mattered, and largely failed to improve the situation for the creators and the consumers. They are not seeking new ways to add value. Contrast that with what the tech companies are doing, and you'll see why the tech companies are succeeding.

The music industry grew huge and fat on the back of the content creators, taking advantage of the power imbalance that consumer demand gave them, and chose to operate in the same manner for decades. The chickens have come home to roost and I shed no tears. If the publishers and promoters want to regain power in the market, they need to do the work to give consumers and creators what they want, finding a balance that all parties can live with.
    beowulfschmidtwatto_cobra