Steelers Ben Roethlisberger fined $5000 for wearing Apple Watch on sidelines

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Thought this was another stupid anti-Apple rule. Remember Beats?

"The player is reportedly appealing against the fine, which concerns the wearing of any electronic messaging devices during play."

So how did he violate this rule?
    General observation:  Super obvious there aren't that many football fans in this thread.  The lack of understanding is weird viewed from the perspective of an avid sports fan.

To answer your question.  
    It's electronic messaging device during game play, not him playing specifically.  The goal is to prevent cheating or an unfair advantage.  Also, the "Beats thing" wasn't really a Beats thing specifically.  It was a sponsorship prohibition.  Bose paid a crap ton of money to replace Motorola as the Official Headset of the NFL.  They also paid to be the Official Headphone, Official Home Audio, Official Speaker, and Official Sound of the NFL.   I have no idea what the Official Sound is, but they paid money to be it.  

We're not as dumb as you think we are. We "get" it but you've moved the goalposts of what was quoted in the article to mean "game" or "game play" which would have been better wording. We already know electronic devices can be used for cheating. No sh**.

And yes Beats and the NFL was a "thing". Players were getting fined for wearing them during interviews and off the field and it was hilarious watching them do it on purpose and driving the NFL and Bose crazy. Same with the iPad "thing".
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 22
    Thought this was another stupid anti-Apple rule. Remember Beats?

"The player is reportedly appealing against the fine, which concerns the wearing of any electronic messaging devices during play."

So how did he violate this rule?
    General observation:  Super obvious there aren't that many football fans in this thread.  The lack of understanding is weird viewed from the perspective of an avid sports fan.

To answer your question.  
    It's electronic messaging device during game play, not him playing specifically.  The goal is to prevent cheating or an unfair advantage.  Also, the "Beats thing" wasn't really a Beats thing specifically.  It was a sponsorship prohibition.  Bose paid a crap ton of money to replace Motorola as the Official Headset of the NFL.  They also paid to be the Official Headphone, Official Home Audio, Official Speaker, and Official Sound of the NFL.   I have no idea what the Official Sound is, but they paid money to be it.  

We're not as dumb as you think we are. We "get" it but you've moved the goalposts of what was quoted in the article to mean "game" or "game play" which would have been better wording. We already know electronic devices can be used for cheating. No sh**.

And yes Beats and the NFL was a "thing". Players were getting fined for wearing them during interviews and off the field and it was hilarious watching them do it on purpose and driving the NFL and Bose crazy. Same with the iPad "thing".
    I don't think anyone is dumb.  I do know that you're out of your depth on the topic of football, and based on their quotes, so were a lot of others.  1st, you're using move the goalpost incorrectly, which is sort of funny considering the topic.  I didn't change the meaning of game or gameplay.  You simply didn't understand the a) the terminology b) the context of it's use and c) how it applied to all NFL players.    It's simple.  No member of the teams (players, coaches, support staff) can have electronic messaging devices on the sideline.  As I've already said, the goal is to prevent cheating or gaining an unfair advantage.  The fact that Ben had an Apple watch was immaterial.  It could have been a device from any manufacturer and he would have still been fined.  

Again it wasn't a Beats or iPad thing.  It was, and still is, an official sponsorship thing.  Your only frame of reference seems to be Apple so you may be unaware of the overall prohibition.  Pretty much every professional sport has the same prohibitions.  
    gatorguy