Xbox One controller available from Apple, but there are better places to buy

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Apple has started to sell the Xbox Wireless Controller, a peripheral for Microsoft's game console that is also compatible with the iPhone and iPad. While it has made an appearance in the online Apple Store, gamers interested in using it for Apple Arcade may want to consider buying it elsewhere.

Following the announcement of Xbox One controller support at WWDC 2019 for iOS 13, iPadOS, and tvOS 13, the Microsoft-created peripheral has become an attractive proposition for those interested in subscribing to Apple Arcade, the $4.99 game subscription service for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and Mac.

To capitalize on this, Apple has started to list the Xbox Wireless Controller in the online Apple Store. The Bluetooth-supported controller offers two joysticks, a directional pad, four main buttons, shoulder triggers, and other inputs, as well as a 3.5mm stereo headset jack for providing audio to a compatible headset.

Existing owners of an Xbox Wireless Controller may want to use their own with Apple Arcade. But, not all models offer Bluetooth support something that is required for iPhone connectivity.

Those looking to buy the exact version sold by Apple with Bluetooth support may want to check elsewhere for the peripheral, as the Apple Store is selling it for $59.95. Other outlets are likely to offer the controller at far lower prices, such as Amazon's $43.84 for the exact same model.

There is also the possibility of going down different avenues, such as the also-announced support for Sony's PlayStation 4 controller, as well as the plethora of existing Bluetooth controllers on the market.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I only recently got into gaming. I just purchased the Xbox controller for 70 Cad. I have tested the controller on boot camp, iPad, and OS X. It’s an awesome experience! Funny enough I’ve experienced the most trouble connecting the controller to windows compared to the iPad or MacBook Pro 15 inch. It’s nice to see these companies coming together, even if it’s for corporate profit, the end user (consumers) benefit from a mostly seamless experience.  

I am looking forward to the follow up video of your group testing games. I think your audience would love a post with all or many of the best games that support the controllers mentioned?

Maybe a rating scale with controller features supported in the different apps or something?

Would also love to see a vid on the new multi Gpu support Final Cut X. Are two egpus worth it? Is bandwidth limited if using both sides of the MacBook Pro 15 inch?

Ive been a fan of the site for years, keep up the good work! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 5
    OferOfer Posts: 241unconfirmed, member
    I’d be interested in hearing how the Xbox controller and PS4 controller compare to the Steel Series Nimbus
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Article Request: AI should do a round-up of controller-iPhone docks. I'm playing a lot of games on Arcade and would love to mount my phone about the controller.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Ofer said:
    I’d be interested in hearing how the Xbox controller and PS4 controller compare to the Steel Series Nimbus
    I picked up the Nimbus a few months ago so I could play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my Apple TV 4k.  Admittedly, I am probably overly-sensitive to lag, but it was bad enough that I ended up returning it.  When they announced the Xbox One controller was supported I tried the one from my Xbox and it worked great.  I don't know if that's a result of the new iOS or the Xbox One controller's design but I've been enjoying Apple Arcade with it.

As far as build quality - I'd say they are on par with each other.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 5
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Ofer said:
    I picked up the Nimbus a few months ago so I could play Sonic the Hedgehog 2 on my Apple TV 4k.  Admittedly, I am probably overly-sensitive to lag, but it was bad enough that I ended up returning it.  When they announced the Xbox One controller was supported I tried the one from my Xbox and it worked great.  I don't know if that's a result of the new iOS or the Xbox One controller's design but I've been enjoying Apple Arcade with it.

As far as build quality - I'd say they are on par with each other.

I've been gaming all my life and never noticed lag on the Nimbus but I was playing on my Apple TV 4K.
    watto_cobra