'iPhone SE 2' uses new flexible LCP antenna design claims Ming-Chi Kuo

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Why would Appke introduce another phone of iPhone 8 dimensions, it doesn’t make sense.  If there is an SE2 then it will be iPhone 5 sized, but with edge to edge display and will look gorgeous.
    Because that’s what they did with the SE — used an older case design with newer hardware. This allows them to make a cheaper device. Doing so with the 8 size would be the same M.O., using an older case design with newer hardware. If the intent was and is about building a cheaper device, not a smaller one, then yes, it does make sense. 

Whether that’s what you want it to be about isn’t the question. 
    There was not a lot of difference in basic design between the 5 (and SE) from the 6, 7 and 8 because they all had wide bezels.   Essentially the 6 was just an overgrown 5 -- just thinner.
    But the same cannot be said for the 8 versus the X/11 line.   At this point, the wide bezels make the 8 pretty much as obsolete as a rotary dial phone.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Shrug...
    Upgrading a 4G antenna?   Isn't that like putting a new saddle on a dead horse?
    How is 4G a "dead horse" when we're all currently using it?

Chidoro said:
    Why would Appke introduce another phone of iPhone 8 dimensions, it doesn’t make sense.  If there is an SE2 then it will be iPhone 5 sized, but with edge to edge display and will look gorgeous.
    Because you don’t try and have a factory begin building a now defunct model, you use an old chassis with some binned parts and sell it on the cheap, like the original se did.

its all about costs. This antenna sounds, both, better and cheaper. That’s why it’s a possible update.

A redesigned 5 chassis will never happen. It’s off the factory floor for good.
    While I agree with you on using existing production lines, parts and tooling to produce a high quality, low priced phone -- that does not jive with previous reports that the SE2 will be using Apple's latest SoC, the A13.   But those reports make little sense to me:   Why would Apple drop an state of the art processor into an obsolete design?  (Especially as the power of all processors for the past 3 years have exceeded the needs of the majority of users).
    It's not an "obsolete design" if they're using a state of the art processor, is it?
    Sorry, I should have said "dying".  Quickly dying (except in the U.S. where 5G is being blocked for political reasons)

And, you could put an A13 in a rotary dial phone and it would still be obsolete.   There's more to design than the processor -- such as half inch wide bezels eating up real estate.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 23 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Shrug...
    Upgrading a 4G antenna?   Isn't that like putting a new saddle on a dead horse?
    How is 4G a "dead horse" when we're all currently using it?

Chidoro said:
    Because you don’t try and have a factory begin building a now defunct model, you use an old chassis with some binned parts and sell it on the cheap, like the original se did.

its all about costs. This antenna sounds, both, better and cheaper. That’s why it’s a possible update.

A redesigned 5 chassis will never happen. It’s off the factory floor for good.
    While I agree with you on using existing production lines, parts and tooling to produce a high quality, low priced phone -- that does not jive with previous reports that the SE2 will be using Apple's latest SoC, the A13.   But those reports make little sense to me:   Why would Apple drop an state of the art processor into an obsolete design?  (Especially as the power of all processors for the past 3 years have exceeded the needs of the majority of users).
    It's not an "obsolete design" if they're using a state of the art processor, is it?
    Sorry, I should have said "dying".  Quickly dying (except in the U.S. where 5G is being blocked for political reasons)

And, you could put an A13 in a rotary dial phone and it would still be obsolete.   There's more to design than the processor -- such as half inch wide bezels eating up real estate.
    That’s not a good analogy.  
  • Reply 24 of 24
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    jce10 said:
    If I wanted iPhone 8 dimensions, I would've bought an iPhone 8 long ago.

Really wish Apple would stop associating price tiers with form factor size.

You're aware that this is a rumour started by Kuo and that not everything he says actually happens, right? You're aware that everything he has claimed about this alleged product put together cannot possibly be true, right?

So maybe you shouldn't be so dumb as to blame "Apple" for a rumour not living up to someone else's fanboy wish list, right?
    fastasleep