Play those classic iOS games with GameClub for $4.99 per month

Posted:
in iPhone edited December 2019
Competing with Apple Arcade, GameClub has launched, allowing subscribers access to over 100 classic iOS titles for $4.99 per month.

Curated by former TouchArcade editor-in-chief Eli Hodapp, GameClub's diverse catalog includes many of the highest-rated mobile games on Metacritic, with multiple titles that topped Apple's own game-of-the-year lists. Each game is playable without an internet connection and downloaded directly from the App Store.

GameClub hasn't just subsumed the code, and is requiring new purchases. Each game on the service is free to download and play without a subscription for accounts that previously purchased them through the App Store.

"Smartphones sparked an explosion of creativity in games, however much of that innovation has been snuffed out by titles that are free to download but often rely on manipulative practices and annoying monetization schemes," said Dan Sherman, CEO and co-founder of GameClub. "Too many talented game creators have been driven away from mobile and GameClub believes players deserve better."

The focuses between Apple Arcade and GameClub are different. Where Apple is going for new, and exclusive to mobile, experiences, GameClub is bringing back titles that the march of iOS and increasing screen sizes have left behind.

In aggregate, the games in the GameClub library have been downloaded over one hundred million players over the last ten years. GameClub will act as a form of preservation, giving the titles a chance to live on and be enjoyed by both old and new fans alike.

Titles that AppleInsider staffers have played across the years that have been reborn on the service include Incoboto, Hook Worlds, Chopper 2, Gears, Vectrex, and Super Crate Box.

Like Apple Arcade, more games will be added to the library on a weekly basis. Additionally, GameClub will release new and original games to the service as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    So wow, 2 Game services for iOS. Both costing a low $4.99 a month,..Interesting. I havn't really had much of a chance to play games on Apple's service.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I find it strange that you cannot play Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk, Bejeweled etc on a Mac. 100 million installed and they think the market is not big enough.

I am not interested in a subscription service for games, but prefer a desktop to tapping on glass.
    mwhiteAppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 6
    hodarhodar Posts: 357member
    I signed up during the first month, to see what the hoopla was all about.

Nearly a month later, Catalina dropped and I really didn't have much time to try these games on the Mac.

Suffice it to say I was "Under-whelmed" and cancelled.  Personally, I still see no reason to join.  For a few bucks, I can own the games I want to own/play; vs paying a recurring $60/year for a plethora of games I could not care less about.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Ironic most of these games were iOS exclusive and Apple didn't give a sh** when they were abandoned. Apple had an opportunity to buy these titles/developers long ago. Would have been a nice addition to Apple Arcade. A real Netflix of gaming.
    razorpit
  • Reply 5 of 6
    hodar said:
    I signed up during the first month, to see what the hoopla was all about.

Nearly a month later, Catalina dropped and I really didn't have much time to try these games on the Mac.

Suffice it to say I was "Under-whelmed" and cancelled.  Personally, I still see no reason to join.  For a few bucks, I can own the games I want to own/play; vs paying a recurring $60/year for a plethora of games I could not care less about.
    Lol! Good luck finding place to buy Sayonara Wild Heart for a few bucks. Arcade games are not exclusive to console and PC and many of them available on those platforms, in a price range of $10+ to 20+. Sayonara Wild Heart alone is worth 4 months of Arcade paid subscription. Not all games will suit to every player but don’t show your ignorance. 
    I just got back from crowded doctor office and gloriously spent an hour waiting for him playing Grindstone and time flies. That hour alone already worth $5 for me. 
    edited October 2019 chasm
  • Reply 6 of 6
    BwlmogBwlmog Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    Is there a way of buying games outside of the Arcade Subscription Service? I want Oceanhorn 2 but it’s not giving me any options to buy other than by subscription