2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

MplsP said:
    lkrupp said:
    hentaiboy said:
    Fox guarding the hen house?

It never fails to amaze me why these guys do this s**t. As a corporate lawyer for Apple, I'll bet he was on a pretty sweet salary...
    Doesn’t matter how wealthy you are, a thief is a thief. it’s a character flaw, or hubris, or delusions of importance, or something. The shoplifter at Walmart is no different than this guy, only the degree of the theft.
    Actually, the shoplifter at walmart may be doing it because they have no money. This guy had plenty of money and stole to get more. Stealing is wrong, buy if someone is stealing out of desperation you could at least try to make a moral argument. Levoff is a crook any way you cut it.
    Of course he’s a crook, but restitution plus a penalty serves everyone involved’s interests so much better than a ridiculously long prison term. After all, he committed theft, not murder.
    Are you down with applying this same rationale to crack cocaine defendants? Crack cocaine sentences have curiously been absurdly and disproportionately high compared to other, whiter, defendants. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 24
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    hentaiboy said:
    Fox guarding the hen house?

It never fails to amaze me why these guys do this s**t. As a corporate lawyer for Apple, I'll bet he was on a pretty sweet salary...

I looked it up and it's not as much as you might think....likely $250K, depending on where he lived (New Jersey?).   That's about the going rate in his field.  
    philboogie
  • Reply 23 of 24
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    sflocal said:
    This guy is no better than a purse snatcher in a seedy back alley.  With his position, salary, stock options, bonuses, etc... did he just think this was just a game for a quick and easy buck? 

Seriously.  While I think the sentence for what he did is harsh compared to what others get (like murderers and rapists), to just throw that all away on what is probably chump-change for him is really sad.
    Perhaps he wanted to buy a maxed-out Mac Pro ߘ㦬t;br>
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 24 of 24
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    MacDanno said:
    This kind of 'white collar' crime is disgusting. I hope he gets 120 years. We will spend thousands of dollars and tremendous effort to track down and jail petty criminals, many who aren't living on mansions. Go to your local courthouse and watch as people plead 'guilty' to lesser crimes just to get out of jail for time served etc. Our justice system is hardly blind! All these multi million dollar 'cheats' should get the max when they get caught.

You've never been to prison have you?..... You don't know what you're commenting about.

mpantone said:
    He is an effing moron.

$227K swindled over five years is less than $50K per year. That's chump change in Silicon Valley for someone of his stature. That comes down to $124/day which is less than the ~$16/hr. minimum wage in many Silicon Valley cities (well, if someone works 24 hrs. or earns overtime). He basically violated insider trading laws so he could pay off his gardener and housekeeper. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a little, but it's still damned pathetic.)

And he probably did it because he thought it was a small enough amount that no one would notice. He knew if he got tens of millions via insider trading, he would have been nailed.

He probably tried this to prove to himself that he was smarter than everyone -- including the Feds.

Never underestimate greed and addiction. He could have been a gambler.