Apple's Craig Federighi offers aspiring programmer advice for the future

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    jdw said:
    My advice: Don't code for Mac OS and iOS if you want to "follow your heart". Apple will get in your way at every turn with their byzantine rules, lack of necessary SDK and lack of respect for its own customers freedom to use their computers and smart devices in any way they wish.
    Unlike the two merciless attack dogs (and all the forum lurkers who clicked Like on their silly posts) who chastised you without any good reason at all, I wish to thank you for sharing your experience.  "Lack of respect" is a fundamental human flaw, especially seen in this forum.

If you don't mind my asking, what was your app?  (I take it something related to the outdoors, but I was wondering about specifics.)  Also, what "SDK" did you seek above and beyond Xcode?

Thanks.

I think there was a lot of truth in what he said which is why some attacked him.   ...
    Do you live in upside-down world?  You're suggesting that people "attacking" a post is evidence that it must have a "lot of truth"?  Because no one ever posts to dispute a post they actually disagree with because it's mostly nonsense?

Apple doesn't "get in your way" as a developer with "byzantine rules."  They are very clear about what's acceptable and what isn't.  Apple prohibits some things on their platform, but 99% of the available innovation space is wide open.  If following your heart requiring that you have low level access to all elements of the OS and hardware, then yes, I wouldn't recommend iOS development.  But I imagine that relatively few hearts will lead people that way.

Lack of "necessary SDK"?  Apple rolls out new powerful SDK components every year.  Thousands (millions?) of developers, large and small, seem to have no trouble developing apps without these "necessary" things.  I wonder how they manage that.

Lack of "respect" for customers who want to hack their hardware?  No they just aren't in the hobbiest business.  See above if your heart happens to lead you that direction.  But ultimately if you want a robust platform to seamlessly reach hundreds of millions of iOS users, it's not a bad idea to make iOS development part of one's repertoire.
    What an excellent way to open further discussion because upside-down is an apt way to discuss subjects that really matter from a certain point of view.   

Before we cast off his post as nonsense it really demands we examine his post a bit more critically.   Apple isn't perfect and I prefer their imperfections to that of any other company.   

I don't Apple was a clear as they could have been about the lack of Parental Control tools and the use of MDM toolset.   Their reversal on HK Maps is another situation in which the rules being applied are even confusing for Apple given certain circumstances. 

I for one love the positive energy around SwiftUI.   Apple is very good at timing large shifts just right.   Just when you think they "don't get it" you realize they "got it" years ago and were just following their path.    
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 24
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Craig's advice is fine and well intentioned, especially his advice on the acquisition of communication skills, but in total his advice is neither uniquely insightful nor remotely prescriptive. This is okay, because you really shouldn’t be looking solely at the edge cases to see the bigger picture of your life/career with more clarity. Craig is an outlier no matter how you cut it. 

The main issue I see is that many people who are in the formative time in their professional careers don’t really have a passion or hear the tone of their calling resonating in their heart and soul. Sure, some of them had a relative, family friend, or public figure who they admire that inspires them to seek a particular path in their life/career. Maybe Craig or the Woz or Bill G or Steve Jobs is a surrogate for some of these folks. You could definitely do worse than choosing one with these choices as a role model. 

In my opinion, which is no better nor worse than your own, is that unless you are devoted to pure research you have to find a problem domain and purpose that you are interested in first, then use the educational opportunities, knowledge acquisition, and training that are available to you as tools to help you be more effective in the problem domain that you are interested in, or passionate about. Yeah, this sounds a bit vocational, but I think it’s a good starting point. As you get deeper into the “how” aspects of what you're doing the subtleties around the “why” may start to draw your attention. That’s the point where you should escape the silo that you’ve been living in and look across the system landscape surrounding what you’ve been doing. This requires a new set of tools and additional knowledge acquisition and an expanded sense of purpose. 

The most important skill you can learn as a professional is “learning how to learn.” Recognizing, and accepting, that no matter where you are in your career, you’re always climbing a learning curve. Your career potential stops when you think you already know everything there is to know about your area of professional interest. In other words, once you step off the learning curve you’re kind of done and, at best, in a a downward glides slope towards mediocrity or just going through the motions to collect the weekly cheddar. 

edited October 2019 randominternetpersonFileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 24

Hey, the kid wanted his 15 seconds of fame, which is why he was boasting about getting a response from Craig.

What exactly are we expecting Craig would say? Give a bullet point list of "if you want to work in Dept. A, then you need these skills, these qualifications and this much experience, if you want to work in Dept. B, you need these traits...."?

The generic "finish your education", "follow your heart" advices may sound trite, but that is the sanest advice you can give a youngster you do not know.

edited October 2019 randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 24
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    I think there was a lot of truth in what he said which is why some attacked him.   Apple's vision of computing is very narrow.   Tim Cook has repeatedly said "The iPad is our clearest expression about the future of computing".    What?   Hard pass.    I love the iPad for what it is...a bridge between a full fledged OS like Mac OS and mobile devices.  
    Orrrrrrr they tried making some app that violated some developer guidelines, got denied, and have been complaining in internet forums ever since. This user complains endlessly here, and not about very specific things generally, so I'm going to go with that.

Tim's comment on iPads has nothing to do with anything here, it's just marketingspeak. Obviously, for *many* users out who don't need a Mac/PC for their use case, the iPad IS the future of computing; this doesn't mean it has to be for you or me.