What buy with iPad Pro - Mac mini or iMac (graphic designer)

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware

Hello!

At this moment I am owner of Macbook Pro with Touchbar (upgrade RAM to 16GB). But I realised that I have MB almost always at home and it works more like station connect to display. (Only sometimes I take MB to some meeting) .

So I would like to buy iPad Pro and MB change for... And right now I don't know. Buy Mac Mini or invest to iMac? Is it worth for more money?

I am graphic designer so I work with Adobe.

thanks! 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    paldys said:

Hello!

At this moment I am owner of Macbook Pro with Touchbar (upgrade RAM to 16GB). But I realised that I have MB almost always at home and it works more like station connect to display. (Only sometimes I take MB to some meeting) .

So I would like to buy iPad Pro and MB change for... And right now I don't know. Buy Mac Mini or invest to iMac? Is it worth for more money?

thanks! 

There's really a lot of factors to consider here. Do you have a monitor now, or do you need one is only the start. The displays in the iMac are really nice, but the Mac mini will have that flash storage, where the iMac (without a custom and expensive configuration) will have a Fusion drive.

That, and what's the budget?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    paldys said:

Hello!

thanks! 

There's really a lot of factors to consider here. Do you have a monitor now, or do you need one is only the start. The displays in the iMac are really nice, but the Mac mini will have that flash storage, where the iMac (without a custom and expensive configuration) will have a Fusion drive.

Hello. 
    Thanks a lot for your answer!
    I have monitor right now but I will need buy new. But I don't think that I need iMac monitor, so there is question if the monitor worth for money or it is better buy separate monitor from some company and buy mac mini.

I heard that Mac mini have problem with 4K monitors (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/of ... m.2155175/) - is it true? And will be Mac mini OK with Adobe? 

I don't have problem invest to the best option. So that's why I didn't write my budget. I want find best way for best money (i don't want to invest to iMac if sb tell me that it is not neccessary and don't worth it). 
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,917administrator
    paldys said:
    paldys said:

Hello!

thanks! 

Hello. 
    Thanks a lot for your answer!
    I have monitor right now but I will need buy new. But I don't think that I need iMac monitor, so there is question if the monitor worth for money or it is better buy separate monitor from some company and buy mac mini.

I heard that Mac mini have problem with 4K monitors (https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/of ... m.2155175/) - is it true? And will be Mac mini OK with Adobe? 

I don't have problem invest to the best option. So that's why I didn't write my budget. I want find best way for best money (i don't want to invest to iMac if sb tell me that it is not neccessary and don't worth it). 
    The iMac 4K and 5K monitors are really quite good. Depending on what you're looking at buying, you really need to think about it. The Mac mini in some ways is faster for video work with the T2 doing HEVC and HEIC processing. The thermals in the Mac mini and iMac are about the same.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/04/09/apples-t2-chip-makes-a-giant-difference-in-video-encoding-for-most-users

It's really a toss-up from where I'm sitting, but I'm leaning towards some kind of iMac with a SSD, and not the Fusion drive for you. Let's see what others here have to say.