Apple allegedly revealing 'AirPods Pro' to media now, ahead of official launch

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited May 2020
Apple is allegedly informing members of the media of the 'AirPods Pro' in pre-launch meetings, with the supposed next-generation models to be shown to journalists at local offices over the next week.

(via <a href=@BenGeskin/Twitter)" height="368" />
(via @BenGeskin/Twitter)

Current rumors and alleged leaks has Apple preparing to launch an updated version of the AirPods dubbed the "AirPods Pro." The expectation of having the new model out in time for the lucrative holiday shopping period led to the suggestion of an October launch, and according to one source, Apple is getting ready for its announcement.

Benjamin Geskin, a usually reliable source of data on the smartphone industry, posted to Twitter late on Sunday that Apple would be showing off the audio accessories on Tuesday or Wednesday "next week" to journalists at Apple's local offices. A further post early on Mondy claimed Apple's "AirPods Pro media meeting has already been completed in Shanghai."

AirPods Pro media meeting has already been completed in Shanghai https://t.co/qB46ypZdDU

-- Ben Geskin (@BenGeskin)

Geskin's post is the latest in a series of claims on the new model in reports and rumors, with some indicating the model will sell for at least $260 at retail. Photographs have also leaked of a squat, partially disassembled AirPods charging case, which is thought to be for the new model, if legitimate.

Not long after Geskin's posts made traction, Jon Prosser added to the claim to confirm a meeting happened "in the last 24 hours in an Apple location," but couldn't confirm if they were for AirPods or for another purpose. Prosser adds more information will apparently be made available on October 30.

Apple itself has also inadvertently provided a hint a new model was on the way, with the first iOS 13.2 beta including an icon strongly suggesting the addition of noise cancellation activation as a "focus mode." the new AirPods are also supposedly given the model number B298.

While the presence of rumors and leaks alone do not guarantee the existence of a product, Apple's own software slip lends considerable weight to the idea of an imminent product launch and its noise cancellation feature.

Stories about the "AirPods Pro" have ratcheted up in tempo recently, but have been rumored for some time. In April, famed analyst Ming-Chi Kuo forecast there would be two new AirPods models, shipping at the end of 2019 and the start of 2020, with the first using a new design and sold at a higher price while the second is expected to be similar in cost and design to the current version.

AppleInsider could not verify the claims that one briefing has already taken place.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    Someone call me when Apple makes headphones I can use while I’m swimming. maybe by then I’ll have an Apple Watch where the screen works while it’s wet.

It’s not holding out much hope, and will continue to enjoy Apple Watch Series 3 until then
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 2 of 19
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    $260? Wow.

I'm a sucker for Apple products. Have been for decades. I know this is my own personal opinion but there needs to be some incredible game changing technology in these things to justify that kind of money. Especially considering the average useful life cycle of the current AirPods. There are some decent alternatives out there now.

I'm looking to replace my gen 1's which only last ~30 minutes for music playback. To be fair I've certainly got my use out of them, but I'd be sick to my stomach had I lost one or both of them at $260. Not that the current pricing is throw-away money for me.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 19
    tjwolftjwolf Posts: 424member
    If this has noise cancellation and is as comfortable as their current AirPods, count me in. If they're "in-ear" type plugs, I'll probably take a pass. Also, I hope they do something about water resistance for the case. I'm on my third case and 2nd set of AirPods because of accidentally leaving them in my jeans pocket during washes :-( AirPod1: both case and AirPods died. Airpod2, the AirPods survived, but the case did not.
  • Reply 4 of 19
    I’ve been lucky... I’ve washed my AirPods several times and they never stopped working... washed and dried on more than one occasion.
    edited October 2019 StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,425member
    They will definitely be IEC 'buds. There's no way for buds to be noise cancelling, either active or passive, without sealing them to the ear canal. Ambient sound would just leak right by, as they do with current AirPods and every other kind of non-IEC 'bud.

As such, they'll put pressure on the ear canal that will be uncomfortable after a time. That time will be different for each of us. I can leave my Gen 1 'Pods in all day long with perfect comfort. I've done that, forgetting that they're in after listening for a few hours.

I really like my AirPods, and should have bought the AP2s at Costco on their one day sale of $133, which included the wireless charging case. I am not keen about paying $260 for 'buds that don't sound markedly better than my AirPods. 

Sealing the APPs to the canals will improve bass and increase audibility in noisy environments, but it doesn't increase fidelity. For that kind of money I want better buds. I've got some high end buds that are excellent, but they're wired. As such, I use them only in the house. The wires are replaceable only by the factory, so I handle them with kid gloves.

With the APPs fidelity as yet an unknown, and knowing that they really can't be as comfortable as the non-Pro 'Pods, they'll be a hard sell for me. I'd gladly stick with the AP2s if the price were a little cheaper.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    razorpit said:
    $260? Wow.

I'm a sucker for Apple products. Have been for decades. I know this is my own personal opinion but there needs to be some incredible game changing technology in these things to justify that kind of money. Especially considering the average useful life cycle of the current AirPods. There are some decent alternatives out there now.

I'm looking to replace my gen 1's which only last ~30 minutes for music playback. To be fair I've certainly got my use out of them, but I'd be sick to my stomach had I lost one or both of them at $260. Not that the current pricing is throw-away money for me.
    I thought the same when the newest PowerBeats came out at $249.00 ..yikes. I really want the functionality of the Airpods in a package that fits my ears.

I have the Beats X, but the wire attaching the buds gets annoying. Pairing is fast and range is great and the sound is surprisingly good... just the wire laying on the back of the neck is an eventual deal breaker. So I was looking forward to the new style in ear airpods, but at $260.00 I will probably hold off.  I can't justify to myself that much cash for earbuds..  maybe I will feel different once they are actually released.

razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 19
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,425member

Someone call me when Apple makes headphones I can use while I’m swimming...
    I so want headphones that are waterproof, suitable for swimming and showering. Sweat proof won't cut it. Water resistant won't cut it. 99 and a half just won't do. They don't have to be Apple kit, or even 'AirPod' wireless. That connecting wire would possibly be fine. Just give me audio that won't die in water.

• Reply 8 of 19
    $260 is a bit dear (as the Brits say), but if they can get them out within the next month they'll sell as many as they can produce.  That's a great price point for a significant holiday gift to a loved one.  I'll be asking for new AirPods this Christmas; maybe it'll be these.

Also getting them out before Christmas means we'll just have to put up with heated "they are too expensive" debates rather than debates about whether Apple "needs" them to be out in time for gift-giving (hint: they don't, but they will sell more if they do).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 19
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    For me, it’s all about the audio quality. Cool with noise cancelling and perhaps something smart, but if the audio quality isn’t matching the $260 price tag, I’d rather go for something else. I’m very curious about the Nuraloop as an example.
  • Reply 10 of 19
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,419member
    razorpit said:
    $260? Wow.

Well, if you don't need nose cancelling, then pass. Your prerogative.
    Personally, I would be happy to upgrade if it means I don't need to also carry a set of noise-cancelling headphones when I travel.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 19
    thttht Posts: 5,629member
    I’m curious how these are designed to fit into your ears. The silicone tips don’t look big enough to hold the headphones in your ear, so they are there just for sealing out noise. So the back of the headphones have to press against one of the ridges of your earlobes?

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 19
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    mike1 said:
    razorpit said:
    $260? Wow.

Personally, I would be happy to upgrade if it means I don't need to also carry a set of noise-cancelling headphones when I travel.
    We'll have to wait and see what the specs are but you may have to carry two sets of these to make it through your next flight. Noise cancellation requires a lot of processing. If these are able to make it through a 5+ hour coast to coast flight then you might be on to something. However in this package I doubt that's possible.
    GG1watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    mike1 said:
    razorpit said:
    $260? Wow.

I don't care about the noise cancelling personally, it's the in ear style that I am looking for. I am sure I am not the only person that can't use the original airpods because of the fit.  I don't think it's a matter of if you don't need the noise cancelling then pass? That's a bit dismissive of an answer when someone questions price? These are a total different design?

Someone here said last week that it would be nice to have these with an option of 2 different models..one with and one without NC.
  • Reply 14 of 19
    OBOB Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    What do you mean revealing pre-launch, its already on their website on sale (in canada at least)... https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MWP22AM/A/airpods-pro
    avon b7Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    They'll most likely be single drivers, hence the sound quality. I prefer the in-ear headphones with the cable: no charging, works on any music device, including newer iPhones. Apple doesn't sell them anymore, but they can still be ordered:

$49,99 For me, even cheaper than ordering in Europe where I live. Go figure, with the import tax included...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F96OWNG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A1AQQ90HM3DWOE&psc=1

GG1
  • Reply 16 of 19
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,772member
    OB said:
    What do you mean revealing pre-launch, its already on their website on sale (in canada at least)... https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/product/MWP22AM/A/airpods-pro
    Yup. It’s on their app in America now as well. $249, still only available in white :( 
    Also, AirPods now have their own tab in the shop right between AppleTV and HomePod. I’m pretty sure that is new. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 19
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    razorpit said:
    mike1 said:
    razorpit said:
    $260? Wow.

We'll have to wait and see what the specs are but you may have to carry two sets of these to make it through your next flight. Noise cancellation requires a lot of processing. If these are able to make it through a 5+ hour coast to coast flight then you might be on to something. However in this package I doubt that's possible.
    Given that Apple quotes a 15 minute recharge to another 3 hours of use, long flights seems to be an outlier that can be dealt with by most users. Hint: keep a pair of earplugs available for that 15 minute charge.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 19
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    The media are such a**holes always revealing Apples plans for the sake of fame/clicks.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 19
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    The media are such a**holes always revealing Apples plans for the sake of fame/clicks.
    Indeed, a pity there are no more 'Tada!' moments.