AirPods versus AirPods Pro -- Apple's wireless earbuds compared

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,766member
    I thought these were supposed to come with features for health tracking? Anyway, now we can all start speculating what features the second of Kuo’s predicted upgrades will bring in 2020. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    jonro said:
    I'm interested to know if the sound quality is improved in the AirPod Pros and how good the seal and the fit are.

The fit is very individual. I had some headphones which were perfect for me while some users have them one star because they didn’t fit in their ears well. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 31
    jcc said:
    One huge problem with in ear designs is that the seal causes mechanical transference of sound. Walking barefoot, your heal strikes, for example, can be heard. Or even heavy breathing. I hope Apple was able to solve this problem. From their technical specs it looks like they did. I’ll have to try it out to see how well.
    I have used Beatx for 2 years. I have not noticed what you are talking about. 
    It was the case with other wired headphones where I could hear the sound of the cord rubbing on my clothes. 
    So maybe different materials let you hear different external sounds. 
    watto_cobrafastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 31
    As all other elements are largely the same, it becomes a question of whether the extra price is worth it for these additional functions.

Frankly, my only concern about these are the fit/comfort.  AirPods are absolutely perfect for me.  I can wear them indefinitely without noticing they are there and they never come loose.  I expect that the Pros will be less comfortable for me.  I have an Apple Store across the street, so I assume I'll be able to try them on next week (is that sanitary??).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    Is it too much to include one link to the Apple product page for these?  There are 4 or 5 links to other AI articles and none to Apple.com.  Obviously we can find the page ourselves, but it's usually good form to link to the page your take your content from.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31

Edit: ok, alternatively, AC+ for 30 bucks will cover battery replacement when under 80%. I guess that’s a no-brainer then. 
    No brainer indeed!  Thanks for posting this update.  It checks out.  For $29--which you can add up to 60 days after purchase--you basically get a battery replacement a couple years down the line.  It's a safe bet that battery life will be down below 80% by then, so you get a free battery replacement at that time.  $29 for AppleCare+ versus $49 for a battery replacement.  That extends the life of these to at least 3 or 4 years.  I almost never purchase AppleCare or the like, but this is a great deal.

https://support.apple.com/airpods/repair/service

philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Is it just me or do the previous versions look nicer and more "iconic"? I hope I'm wrong. Maybe time will fix the weird look for me.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 28 of 31
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,344member
    AI says:
    promises to offer a great audio experience. 

This (and fit) is the determining factor for me— they've got to sound noticeably better. Sealing to the ear canal will increase (not necessarily improve) bass response.

As mentioned, when IECs have a good seal, microphonics are increased. That is, external sounds are amplified in your head. You can get an idea by humming then closing your ear openings. The increased effect may be perceived to a different degree by different people.

This similar to wearing headphones and hearing the cord dragging on clothing etc amplified by the ear cups. I have a pair of Shure's previous flagship IECs and while they are definitely audiophile-level earbuds, any movement of the cable it transmitted to the body of the buds and then via conduction to the head.

Before I bought my Gen 1 APs, I tried their fit at an Apple Store. I'll try the same again with the Pros. They have to fit well and should really good for me to fork out MSRP or slightly discounted Apple Pay.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Any published frequency response graphs put out by Apple?

The biggest gripe with my Airpods has been battery longevity. I check the case and batteries are 100% charged before leaving the house. Using the EU option to restrict dB level, I never play music loudly. Some months after their purchase the batteries would last just 2 hours, when the low power signal sounds, a 30 minute top-up from the case gave me another 45 mins. Now, a year later, I get less than 1/2 hour replay before the AirPod's need putting back in their charging case for an hour and a half to two hours so I can just about travel home before they die again. Apple Support have been no help whatsoever stating that they out of warranty. Similarly, I have an iPhone 5SE which dies at 1% per second after reaching 40%. If I stupidly leave the house without taking Apple chargers, I can forget using my iPhone for anything more than Music; Tel., FaceTime, and UBER, to name a few, kill the batteries so quickly I can't book a car or talk with my spouse.

Have Apple sorted the battery problems? They are clearly not up to the job(s) they're expected to provide over the course of a working day.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    I'd like to see a transparant design as well

Even though you'd look like a Robocop who has taken one in the ear and had a bit of brain popped out.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    Any published frequency response graphs put out by Apple?

The biggest gripe with my Airpods has been battery longevity. I check the case and batteries are 100% charged before leaving the house. Using the EU option to restrict dB level, I never play music loudly. Some months after their purchase the batteries would last just 2 hours, when the low power signal sounds, a 30 minute top-up from the case gave me another 45 mins. Now, a year later, I get less than 1/2 hour replay before the AirPod's need putting back in their charging case for an hour and a half to two hours so I can just about travel home before they die again. Apple Support have been no help whatsoever stating that they out of warranty. Similarly, I have an iPhone 5SE which dies at 1% per second after reaching 40%. If I stupidly leave the house without taking Apple chargers, I can forget using my iPhone for anything more than Music; Tel., FaceTime, and UBER, to name a few, kill the batteries so quickly I can't book a car or talk with my spouse.

Have Apple sorted the battery problems? They are clearly not up to the job(s) they're expected to provide over the course of a working day.
    The solution for both those problems is clear: pay Apple to replace the batteries.  $49 in the case of the AirPods.  Sucks that they don't last longer, but it is what it is.
    watto_cobra