Apple gearing up to sell 80 million 5G iPhones in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited November 2019
Apple has reportedly set lofty sales goals for the 2020 iPhone launch, and the company's market power could spur more and faster 5G rollouts.

Apple plans on shipping around 80 million new 5G iPhones, according to someone familiar with the situation. Apple will be the last of the three major smartphone manufacturers to include 5G technology within their smartphone line.

"It will be the first time Apple introduces 5G iPhones ... There will be three of them and the company has set an aggressive sales target," the source said, according to the Nikkei Asian Review.

It is possible that Apple's foray into 5G will help to accelerate the global carrier market's investment in 5G infrastructure. Analysts at Market Intelligence & Consulting Institute estimate that Apple will produce 206 million new iPhones in 2020, which may give carriers confidence in implementing the nascent technology globally.

Even though carriers have been building up the hype for 5G for a while, it will be quite some time before it becomes standard. Sprint has expressed it will start launching its 5G service in a small number of cities last May, Verizon has named more cities it will be bringing 5G to major cities by the end of 2019, and AT&T states it will be able to nationally roll out 5G by early 2020.

All three of the new 2020 iPhones will carry the most advanced 5G modem chip, Qualcomm's X55, according to four people familiar with the situation. The iPhones will also feature Apple's A14 processor.

There is also speculation that some of the new phones will feature OLED displays, ProMotion,, a smaller notch, as well as 3D sensing rear-cameras that may accelerate augmented reality gaming.

The Nikkei Asian Review is a good source of information from inside Apple's suppliers. Given that those suppliers also provide components to other companies, it is not nearly as accurate when it tries to predict Apple's product plans and specifications.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    Why wait, I'm already there... ;)
    Another iPhone X feature ahead of its time.

This is in the Germantown, TN area.

/s
    edited October 2019 GG1lkruppleavingthebiggAppleExposed
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mobird said:

5Ge is not 5G. Google it.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 21
    I still haven’t seen what benefits 5G will bring to me on a cellular phone. I understand faster downloads but there are many limiting factors involved in that than simply my connection so, what else?

I’m more interested in the other rumored features than I am in 5G.
    StrangeDaysmicrobe
  • Reply 4 of 21
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    mobird said:

I realize that, check out the emoji I used in my post. Jeez...

BTW - I went ahead and added "/s" for those missing the sarcasm emoji... Google it.
    edited October 2019 muthuk_vanalingamleavingthebiggSoliStrangeDaysAppleExposedmicrobe
  • Reply 5 of 21
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    I still haven’t seen what benefits 5G will bring to me on a cellular phone. I understand faster downloads but there are many limiting factors involved in that than simply my connection so, what else?

I think the biggest single improvement will be network/system latency. For normal texting/emailing, not so much, but for time-critical tasks (autonomous vehicles, remote surgery, gaming, etc.), it is significant.

The faster downloads (mmWave) are overblown at this time. The massive infrastructure needed to realize these speeds reliably is years off.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mobird said:

You missed the sarcasm indicator /s
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Does any Android followers here have any ship/sale estimates of 5G enabled phones? Also, do you have any personal experience with Android 5G enabled phones you are willing to share?
  • Reply 8 of 21
    The opportunity to state Apple is last without mentioning how well competitors’ 5G smartphones are selling, the super fantastic benefits 5G customers are experiencing and raving about 24x7 was once again not missed by Apple Insider. 
  • Reply 9 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    mobird said:

You missed the smiley  ;) and the sarcasm mark at the end?   SMH... sense of humor.. Google it!  ..

Search Results

Dictionary
    sense of humor
    noun
    noun: sense of humour; noun: sense of humor
    a person's ability to perceive humor or appreciate a joke.
    "she has a great sense of humor"

AppleExposed
  • Reply 10 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,668member
    Does any Android followers here have any ship/sale estimates of 5G enabled phones? Also, do you have any personal experience with Android 5G enabled phones you are willing to share?
    All Android 5G phones currently on sale are flagship class devices and priced accordingly. Price is always a deterrent to unit sales and in this case the sale will be affected by the likelihood of purchasers having 5G coverage now or at some point in the near future.

5G is rolling out far faster than 4G and beginning this December 5G will already hit the middle ground as brands like Honor push their 5G offerings.

China has accelerated its 5G roll out.

Switzerland is also rolling out fast. Next month Sunrise will go live with 5G 4K gaming.

https://www.sunrise.ch/en/residential/world-of-5g/gaming.html

https://www.fiercewireless.com/devices/huawei-key-to-5g-smartphones-hitting-160m-2020-strategy-analytics

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei-mate-20-x-5g-pre-sale-exceeded-1-million-mark-in-china/
  • Reply 11 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    GG1 said:

I think the biggest single improvement will be network/system latency. For normal texting/emailing, not so much, but for time-critical tasks (autonomous vehicles, remote surgery, gaming, etc.), it is significant.
    Those tasks aren’t performed on a cell phone. Which makes the past hoopla by 5g cheerleaders completely overblown. As a feature on a phone, it just doesn’t seem to matter that much. Faster web pages, yay. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Honorable mention to IPad Pro 5G... you know it’s coming.
    I’d also like to see 5G show up in MacBooks but we might have to wait until Apple is shipping their own 5G (2022?)
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 13 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    GG1 said:

Those tasks aren’t performed on a cell phone. Which makes the past hoopla by 5g cheerleaders completely overblown. As a feature on a phone, it just doesn’t seem to matter that much. Faster web pages, yay. 
    Gaming and augmented reality stuff might use your phone (even mentioned in the AI article), but yeah the biggest benefits of 5G  will be in your home for now. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

List of the currently available 5G-ready phones
    https://www.tomsguide.com/us/5g-phones-list,news-29292.html

Until late in the year I'm not sure there's going to be much in the way of "user experience" on 5G networks. 
  • Reply 15 of 21
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    gatorguy said:
    GG1 said:

Gaming and augmented reality stuff might use your phone (even mentioned in the AI article), but yeah the biggest benefits of 5G  will be in your home for now. 
    The hoopla I’m referring to are from the cheerleaders who claimed the 2019 iPhone needed 5G and not having it was Serious Mistake (tm). It wasn’t. No AR use cases today and unlikely before 2020. Even after I have my doubts. By the time we’re carrying AR glasses I think it will be years after the 2019. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 16 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mobird said:

/s

I love it when you spam this screenshot! It never gets old!

Makes me wonder how many knockoff iPhones will display "5G" for the heck of it since users know no better. Android is the sh**-brain of every community. They get taken advantage so much and never notice.

When Apple finally does 5G they will do it right and carriers will all follow. I'm betting Apple will put an end to this marketing sham by carriers(reference above screenshot). Then the usual iKnockoff Knights will claim "Apple copied X knockoff iPhone!".

2020 does not seem early for Apple modems since we have no idea how far ahead Intel was at the time of acquisition.

avon b7 said:
    All Android 5G phones currently on sale are flagship class devices and priced accordingly. Price is always a deterrent to unit sales and in this case the sale will be affected by the likelihood of purchasers having 5G coverage now or at some point in the near future.

5G is rolling out far faster than 4G and beginning this December 5G will already hit the middle ground as brands like Honor push their 5G offerings.

China has accelerated its 5G roll out.

Switzerland is also rolling out fast. Next month Sunrise will go live with 5G 4K gaming.

https://www.sunrise.ch/en/residential/world-of-5g/gaming.html

https://www.fiercewireless.com/devices/huawei-key-to-5g-smartphones-hitting-160m-2020-strategy-analytics

https://www.huaweicentral.com/huawei-mate-20-x-5g-pre-sale-exceeded-1-million-mark-in-china/

Anyone who buys a knockoff iPhone for over $200 is a doofus. This is why I forgive the people who replace their 50 buck knockoff every 2 months.
    edited October 2019 mobird
  • Reply 17 of 21
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    gatorguy said:
    GG1 said:

The hoopla I’m referring to are from the cheerleaders who claimed the 2019 iPhone needed 5G and not having it was Serious Mistake (tm). It wasn’t. No AR use cases today and unlikely before 2020. Even after I have my doubts. By the time we’re carrying AR glasses I think it will be years after the 2019. 

The dumbest people are the loudest. The same iHaters who claimed Apple needed 1080p on iPhone XR... W T F?!?!!?!!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    gatorguy said:
    GG1 said:

Make no mistake. A 5G iPhone was needed. 5G as a technology was the least of things!

There will be a marketing blitz this Christmas and marketing is what changes minds.

You should know that.

Then, when the blitz has finished, anyone interested in a phone during next year will have 5G at the forefront of their mindset.

Apple has been down this road itself. Don't you remember the PPC601?
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 19 of 21
    I find it a little surprising that the X55 is being rumoured for the iPhone 12.

The X55 is a 2019/20 part. It might be lacking against newer hardware which might be announced at MWC2019 for 2020/21.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    bigmikebigmike Posts: 266member
    There's no reason we actually need 5G though the industry heavily sells the speed factor. 4G is plenty fast enough.