Apple issues iOS 13.2.1 update for HomePod following bricking problems

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    Well this may be a fluke. iOS 13.2.1 at 975.2 MB has been saying downloading now for 30 minutes. Mmmm
    Possible this new update may be buggy as well. I will give it another 15 minutes and then stop the download. Strange all the other ones downloaded very quickly.
    anyone else see a long download? I am using a gigabyte connection as well. Very strange

Update: I found that if I turned off automatic update on my homepod the download went fast and installed fast. so I think I found my own solution. Hope it helps anyone else that may have the issue.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 34
    SHKSHK Posts: 20member
    Has anyone actually gotten the "multivoice support" to work? So far the instructions (from Apple) are not great and it's still not working. The whole setup seems awfully kludgey. 

• Reply 23 of 34
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,259member
    Rayz2016 said: My concern is that they were preparing to launch a bug fix while they were readying the initial release. If they knew there were problems then why didn’t they just delay the release?
    Of course they weren't expecting this ... otherwise they would've held off. Nobody wants that kind of publicity.
    Zackly. This wasn't just a bugging update. It actually bricked product, and not just in the whiny 'my xxxx won't work until Apple puts out another update!' scenario. These devices had/have to go back to Apple.

There's no way Apple would find even a small number of those as 'acceptable casualties'.
    StrangeDaysAlex1N
  • Reply 24 of 34
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,659member
    Update worked for me, but had to reset the HomePod after to get handoff to work, and then when setting it up it asked to transfer Siri data. No joy before that. 
  • Reply 25 of 34
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,319member
    Updated quickly last nite. Tested them out this morning -- handoff is great and much needed, ambient noises are nice. I don't know if it's HP or ATV but switching to the HPs as an audio endpoint seems faster. 

YouTube app on tvOS is still broken, refusing to honor the HPs as the system's last-audio-endpoint and always defaulting to the TV's speakers. As it's the only app to do this I'm fairly certain it's their crappy implementation of a non-native app. It doesn't even use the top-edge swipe-down system menu, nor does it recognize audio changes via the new home-long-press menu. You have to exit YouTube, change it from the home screen, then re-open YouTube. Beyond lame. (Between that and the lack of honoring the Play button, you have to wonder -- do Google engineers even use their own stuff?)
    edited October 2019 Alex1N
  • Reply 26 of 34
    elector said:
    Well this may be a fluke. iOS 13.2.1 at 975.2 MB has been saying downloading now for 30 minutes. Mmmm
    Possible this new update may be buggy as well. I will give it another 15 minutes and then stop the download. Strange all the other ones downloaded very quickly.
    anyone else see a long download? I am using a gigabyte connection as well. Very strange

Update: I found that if I turned off automatic update on my HomePod the download went fast and installed fast. so I think I found my own solution. Hope it helps anyone else that may have the issue. 
    My update is 25 MB and also stuck on „downloading...“ without actually starting. 
    Hm, the HomePod itself appears to work fine on 13.2. However, I would like to install it anyway. At the same time, I would like to avoid power-cycling the HomePod to force the update for the known reasons. 

Any ideas?

edit: finally I gave up and courageous/stupid/mpatient as I am I unplugged the HomePod and let it reboot. 
    A few moments later the update was up and running. Happy and possibly lucky camper here. 
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 27 of 34
    Apple software teams really need to get their shit together. Marco Arment tweeted today about the horrible memory management within iOS 13 and how aggressively background processes are being killed. I’ve noticed this for a while now. I’ll be in YouTube, switch to mail or messages,  come back to YouTube 30 seconds later and the app refreshes and I lose the video I was watching. Safari tabs too are constantly refreshing. Reminds me of the original iPad Air with 1GB RAM. I never had issues like this with iOS 12. But it makes using my iOS devices much less enjoyable. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 28 of 34
    SHK said:
    Has anyone actually gotten the "multivoice support" to work? So far the instructions (from Apple) are not great and it's still not working. The whole setup seems awfully kludgey. 

Listen to the latest Upgrade podcast with Jason Snell and Myke Hurley. Myke had issues with this. His significant other couldn’t get it to work. And that ended up making Hey Siri useless because the iPhone would hand off to HomePod but the HomePod didn’t recognize the voice so it did nothing. He eventually got it to work but it took quite a bit of fiddling around to do it. 
    Alex1N
  • Reply 29 of 34
    13.2.1 fixed my HomePod issues but I have not tried the multi-voice feature.  I do like the 'ambient sounds' feature but would really like it if Siri would lower the volume - rather than me having to do it physically via HomeKit audio control.
  • Reply 30 of 34
    onlyhope said:
    13.2.1 fixed my HomePod issues but I have not tried the multi-voice feature.  I do like the 'ambient sounds' feature but would really like it if Siri would lower the volume - rather than me having to do it physically via HomeKit audio control.
    Why don’t you create a Siri Shortcut that plays an ambient sound at a specified volume?
    Alex1N
  • Reply 31 of 34
    SHK said:

Listen to the latest Upgrade podcast with Jason Snell and Myke Hurley. Myke had issues with this. His significant other couldn’t get it to work. And that ended up making Hey Siri useless because the iPhone would hand off to HomePod but the HomePod didn’t recognize the voice so it did nothing. He eventually got it to work but it took quite a bit of fiddling around to do it. 
    Any idea what was done that did the trick?

One moment HomePod was able to recognise my voice fine but just refuse to recognise my spouse's. After a reboot, it now recognise nobody and falls back to the default master account I use after this kind of shared devices (e.g. Apple TV, HomePod). Tried reset, tried re-invite, nothing seems to be working now on multi-user voice recognition and personal request. The rest works fine such as AirPlay, play Ambient sounds, play Apple Music.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 32 of 34
    chaicka said:
    SHK said:

One moment HomePod was able to recognise my voice fine but just refuse to recognise my spouse's. After a reboot, it now recognise nobody and falls back to the default master account I use after this kind of shared devices (e.g. Apple TV, HomePod). Tried reset, tried re-invite, nothing seems to be working now on multi-user voice recognition and personal request. The rest works fine such as AirPlay, play Ambient sounds, play Apple Music.
    I don’t remember what he said he did. You’ll have to listen to that part of the episode.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    chaicka said:
    SHK said:

I don’t remember what he said he did. You’ll have to listen to that part of the episode.
    See my reply no. 7 above.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    I'd like to see apple spend more time on the HomePod, or at least give the impression they are. I have two of them that I use in stereo with my AppleTV. The sound is exceptional, but the experience isn't exactly smooth. Some times they get mixed up or if I use airplay2 with my MacBook. One speaker will start playing the music from my MacBook while the other plays whatever it was last playing. I think these things have huge potential, and I'm sure Apple is working on stuff, but I wish I could know for sure.