Mac Pro to ship with silver and black keyboard, Magic Trackpad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    Screw the colour options; I just want a wired keyboard.
    Leave the Lightning cord plugged in, genius.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 32
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 32

a3dstorm said:
    Wow! I think this what is wrong with Apple, People excited about a color change of a Keyboard...Really ? Emoji, memoji... wow! innovations! AppleTv+, New Apple watch bracelet woohoo ! Apple Credit Card, Magic mouse 2 can't use it while charging ? I just change the batteries in mine. I just want a Mac Pro, like the hackintosh I'm using. Full featured, all the ports I want, upgradeable. Instead they are focussing on trivial shit, all the time.  Catalina, yeah, take away all my investments in 32bit softwares over the years my openGL games  and dumb down my mac to an Ipad level please ! Woohoo!

Please show the jury on the doll where Apple touched you.
    watto_cobralkrupp
  • Reply 24 of 32
    I certainly hope that keyboard feels nothing like their latest laptop keyboards which are absolutely awful.  
  • Reply 25 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    draenar said:
    And now we know that Jony is gone - entirely too busy looking.
    This Mac Pro has Jony’s handprints all over it. It’s his design and the machine was in development for a couple of years before he left. Put your brain in gear before you open your mouth.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member

That cable doesn't carry data; it's only to charge the battery. No Cmd-Opt-o-f with a wireless keyboard.

• Reply 27 of 32

That cable doesn't carry data; it's only to charge the battery. No Cmd-Opt-o-f with a wireless keyboard.

Well there's no Open Firmware in Intel Macs either so that command wouldn't work anyway. But most if not all boot commands work fine with the Magic Keyboard.

philboogie
  • Reply 28 of 32
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Hmm, I like those. Hopefully they'll start selling them separately at some point after the Mac Pro has shipped for a while.

SpamSandwich said:
    Depends on what kind of car you’re driving and if you’re in the kind of profession that needs this much horsepower, you’ll be making that money back in short order.
    Heh, no doubt. I think my Mac mini setup cost about as much as my car. :)  But, for sure, if you're in the market for one, you'll probably find a way to pay for it rather quickly (in the grand scheme of things).

philboogie said:
    Well there's no Open Firmware in Intel Macs either so that command wouldn't work anyway. But most if not all boot commands work fine with the Magic Keyboard.
    The point would be more about whether the communications go over the USB or are wireless (and the keyboard is just being charged). I'm not actually sure which it is. Are you saying that when plugged into USB, the communication goes via USB?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    cgWerks said:
    philboogie said:
    The point would be more about whether the communications go over the USB or are wireless (and the keyboard is just being charged). I'm not actually sure which it is. Are you saying that when plugged into USB, the communication goes via USB?
    I don't know if it does or not, but I know that most if not all boot commands work with wireless keyboards, regardless if they're plugged in.
    philboogie
  • Reply 30 of 32
    cgWerks said:
    I don't know if it does or not, but I know that most if not all boot commands work with wireless keyboards, regardless if they're plugged in.
    Yeah, the reason I'm interested is for times if/when the device gets flaky, it could be plugged in instead. It hasn't happened as much lately (maybe location?) or with my Magic Trackpad, but used to happen quite often with my Magic Mouse. For a period of time, it would just get suddenly all wonky and unresponsive or jump all over. Then eventually, it would clear up. I kind of assumed some kind of wireless interference.

It would be nice to know that you *could* plug in these devices via USB in a pinch and direct-connect (and just bypass the wireless). I'm curious now.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    cgWerks said:
    cgWerks said:
    Yeah, the reason I'm interested is for times if/when the device gets flaky, it could be plugged in instead. It hasn't happened as much lately (maybe location?) or with my Magic Trackpad, but used to happen quite often with my Magic Mouse. For a period of time, it would just get suddenly all wonky and unresponsive or jump all over. Then eventually, it would clear up. I kind of assumed some kind of wireless interference.

It would be nice to know that you *could* plug in these devices via USB in a pinch and direct-connect (and just bypass the wireless). I'm curious now.
    I don't know, really — I don't own either. I'm a MBP and built-in trackpad user. :)

I guess a simple way to check would be to plug one in, turn off Bluetooth. I guess I can try that with someone's at my office, which I'm not at right now.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    fastasleep said:
    I don't know, really — I don't own either. I'm a MBP and built-in trackpad user. :)
    I guess a simple way to check would be to plug one in, turn off Bluetooth. I guess I can try that with someone's at my office, which I'm not at right now.
    Yay, it worked for my Magic Trackpad 2. My keyboard is the older one (Apple Wireless) with 2 AA batteries, so no cord. That's really good to know, though for troubleshooting situations where one might not have BT or some other issue (like the interference).

(Also, my Logitech MX Master goes via the dongle into USB, so it effectively bypasses BT as well... which was comforting the moment I switched BT off and then thought... crud, if this doesn't work, I'm going to have to dig though boxes for an old mouse or something.)
    edited November 2019