Apple again investigating 'wrap around' display for iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,886member
    apple ][ said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    Since all iPhones have a case I’m not sure how useful an edge display will be
    All? I never keep anything in a case, including my iPhone.

Bare naked is the way to go. I want to feel the actual product that I bought when I'm using it.
    i am the same but with this 11Pro i became concerned about scratching the camera lenses from lying on a surface frequently.. so i have begrudgingly put the slimmest case on i could find that gives them a slight gap when lying flat
    I have the 11 Pro but when you lay it on a table without a case the lenses can’t be scratched because the touch-point is on the ring around the lenses, not directly on the lenses themselves. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 26
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    MplsP said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    No, you're simply wrong.
    Clearly not all iPhones have cases, but the overwhelming majority do. Moreover, since they switched to a glass back I’d wager that portion has increased. I’ve had iPhones since the 3G and never broken a screen until I got my Xs. 3 weeks after I got it I broke the back - despite having a case. 

Even if 20% of the people don’t use a case, that means a wrap around display would be all but useless for 80% of the owners and certainly couldn’t be used for any critical functions. 
    Shrug -- So, if you get one of these phones then you save a few bucks by not buying a case -- since that would be silly.

(But it's not just the wrap around screen on the edges, the back of the phone is as much a part of the display as the front: 
    ""wherein the display assembly is positioned in the transparent enclosure and extends around the circuit board, wherein the display assembly has first and second ends, wherein the second end is coupled to the first end at a joint, and wherein the visual content extends continuously across the joint."

To me, that sounds like a single display covers the front, 1 side and back.
  • Reply 23 of 26
    I feel like there's no need for foldable phones, maybe not yet anyway. We just need to slow down with technology I can't keep up
  • Reply 24 of 26
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    The more patents Apple owns, the more control they have over the market.  For example. This design, is patented and owned by Apple, means other competitors either can’t do it or need to pay Apple Royalties if they do. 
  • Reply 25 of 26
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    MplsP said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    No, you're simply wrong.
    Clearly not all iPhones have cases, but the overwhelming majority do. Moreover, since they switched to a glass back I’d wager that portion has increased. I’ve had iPhones since the 3G and never broken a screen until I got my Xs. 3 weeks after I got it I broke the back - despite having a case. 

Even if 20% of the people don’t use a case, that means a wrap around display would be all but useless for 80% of the owners and certainly couldn’t be used for any critical functions. 
    Shrug -- So, if you get one of these phones then you save a few bucks by not buying a case -- since that would be silly.

(But it's not just the wrap around screen on the edges, the back of the phone is as much a part of the display as the front: 
    ""wherein the display assembly is positioned in the transparent enclosure and extends around the circuit board, wherein the display assembly has first and second ends, wherein the second end is coupled to the first end at a joint, and wherein the visual content extends continuously across the joint."

To me, that sounds like a single display covers the front, 1 side and back.
    Read the first part of my post - if the back is fragile enough to break with a case, there's no way I'll consider going without one.

As far as having a screen on the back goes, I wonder if that would interfere with wireless charging? My guess is it would, since you have to have some sort of conductive material to drive the display and that would be susceptible to the inductive currents generated.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Chill people, it's just a patent filing. We've seen hundreds of these were nothing came out of it.