Dell's $2000 27-inch Thunderbolt 3 UltraSharp monitor has a built-in colorimeter

Posted:
in General Discussion
Dell is taking on Apple's Pro Display XDR in the affordable calibrated professional monitor market, by offering the UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor with Thunderbolt 3 connectivity and a built-in colorimeter to help ensure its accuracy over time.

Launched at Adobe Max, the Dell UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor, model UP2720Q, is aimed at creative professionals who need to see accurate colors represented on the display as they work. In this monitor's case, it offers 100% of the Adobe RGB range, 98% coverage of DCI-P3, and 80% of BT2020, allowing it to represent a wide array of color space standards.

To ensure the display maintains a consistent accuracy over time, the built-in colorimeter provides quick calibration on an on-demand or scheduled basis, a feature Dell claims to be a first for a 27-inch display at its resolution. The monitor is also CalMAN-ready, allowing it to work with CalMAN color calibration software using both the built-in colorimeter and external versions.

Displaying at a 4K resolution of 3,840 by 2,160 pixels at 60Hz, the LCD screen has a contrast ratio of 1,300:1 and a typical brightness of 250 nits. The front features an anti-glare treatment for the front polarizer hard coating, and the backlight is a white LED edgelight system.

The monitor's Thunderbolt 3 connectivity consists of two Thunderbolt 3 ports, one for upstream and one for downstream, with it capable of being used as part of a daisy chain. Other connectors include two USB HDMI 2.0 ports, one DisplayPort 1.4 connection, and six USB 3.2 ports, with the display capable of providing up to 90W of power delivery via its secondary Thunderbolt 3 connection.

Picture-by-Picture mode is also offered as a way to compare images from two different video sources, as well as to see the same image in two different color spaces.

Shipping on January 15, the Dell UltraSharp 27 4K PremierColor Monitor will cost $1,999.99. The LG UltraFine 5K display retails for $1300, and has the same size panel, but no colorimeter.

Dell's monitor may be seen as a potential cost-saving alternative to Apple's Pro Display XDR, which is anticipated to be available to purchase in the near future. While Dell's monitor is $3,000 cheaper than Apple's version, it has fewer Thunderbolt 3 connections, is smaller with a lower resolution, and doesn't feature Apple's optional nano-texture glass etching to produce a matte finish.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    Yea, but it doesn’t have a fancy $1,000 wall mount!

Dude, you gettin’ a Dell?
    viclauyycMisterKit
  • Reply 2 of 19
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Welcome to the party, Dell.
  • Reply 3 of 19
    Per pixel, the Apple display is the same price as the Dell. It also gets 4x brighter in sustained operation and (if you factor in the local lighting) has 700x greater contrast. You can hang Apple's display on their $300 VESA adapter and put it on a standard mount. You needn't spring for the fancy stand.

These displays are not in the same league.
    entropyschiaMacPro
  • Reply 4 of 19
    IDSIDAGTMBTTS
  • Reply 5 of 19
    Really wish there were more 27" 5K options.
    jdb8167
  • Reply 6 of 19
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    JWSC said:
    bsimpsen said:
    You can hang Apple's display on their $300 VESA adapter and put it on a standard mount. You needn't spring for the fancy stand.

Fact Check:

1) Pro STAND is $1000 USD.
    2) The VESA adapter is $199 USD.

Both comments above are inaccurate in USD pricing.

edited November 2019 viclauyyc
  • Reply 7 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JWSC said:

Are you implying that this Dell monitor compares/competes with the Apple Pro monitor? It doesn’t, it’s not even close to being in the same ballpark. So why the snark?
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    Wait. It isn’t even 5K much less 6K. It isn’t even as good as the LG much less the XDR. Odd comparison. 
    aegean
  • Reply 9 of 19
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    entropys said:
    In summary, not “taking on” the Apple XDR display. Just a probably good 4K monitor with colorimeter.  Why is this being compared to the Apple monitor again, or implied that people might cross shop them? 
    Could it be...click bait?
    Seems more like it’s taking on the Eizo. I spent about $5k for a 31” 4K display with built colorimeter about 4-5 years ago. There weren’t a lot of competitors with the built in calibration device at the time. Glad to see someone else jump in. 
  • Reply 10 of 19
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    lkrupp said:
    JWSC said:

Are you implying that this Dell monitor compares/competes with the Apple Pro monitor? It doesn’t, it’s not even close to being in the same ballpark. So why the snark?
    Just trying to lighten up your day.  Evidently, that was a failure.  Don’t overthink things by reading into something that may be a figment if your imagination.
    MisterKitphilboogie
  • Reply 11 of 19
    Shame Dell couldn't get it to 5k for Mac users that like to use pixel doubling modes.
  • Reply 12 of 19
    jdb8167 said:
    Wait. It isn’t even 5K much less 6K. It isn’t even as good as the LG much less the XDR. Odd comparison. 
    This 4k/5k/6k shit is very misleading.

a 27" 4k monitor has a lower, sub-retina grade DPI than a 27" 5k monitor.

The Apple 6k monitor has the same DPI as a 27" 5k; the additional "K" comes from a wider screen. The resolution or "retina effect" is identical to the LG Ultrafine and the iMac Retina.

I really wish the whole industry would drop "4k" as a talking point.
    curtis hannahgatorguydysamoria
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Eric_WVGG said:
    jdb8167 said:
    This 4k/5k/6k shit is very misleading.

a 27" 4k monitor has a lower, sub-retina grade DPI than a 27" 5k monitor.

The Apple 6k monitor has the same DPI as a 27" 5k; the additional "K" comes from a wider screen. The resolution or "retina effect" is identical to the LG Ultrafine and the iMac Retina.

I really wish the whole industry would drop "4k" as a talking point.
    Agreed very much so, PPI should be the standard, but then again TV buyers wouldn't care. Also phones going up to 4k comes in as a joke considering the iPhones screen is every bit just as good, as you couldn't tell a difference.

The fact of this comparison though is the dell will have a ppi of roughly 163 and Apple 218 for their high end monitors. 
    dysamoria
  • Reply 14 of 19
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Between Dell and LG, I would still prefer LG 5K UltraFine as I have been using it as a second monitor with my iMac Pro, and am very happy with it.  

I won't even compare both Dell and LG with Apple's 6K display.
  • Reply 15 of 19
    I just wish we'd get larger high quality monitors.  We were at 32", 43" was coming online slowly, but in the past 2 years we've seen a massive slide back to 27" monitors.  Didn't monitors hit 30" back in 2010?  What's this obsession with putting all the quality in tiny monitors?  Don't get me wrong - I can use a 27" monitor fine, and larger monitors are mainly a luxury.  But still - with televisions being 65" there's no reason we can't shoot for a 49" pro-monitor.  Or at least 32". :(

Instead, we're getting these bizarre ribbon monitors that are 6 feet wide and 1 foot high.

fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 19
    The Apple Pro Display XDR only has a single thunderbolt 3 port. It does have three USB-C ports, but their speed seems to depend on the resolution the monitor is being driven at.
    dysamoriafastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 19
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Anyone looking at the light bleed on these things? When sitting in a darkened room, my iMac 12,2 looks terrible everywhere but the focal center, which shifts when I move my head (keep in mind, I’m comparing to my experiences with CRT back in the day).

Has this improved at all since 2011?
  • Reply 18 of 19
    So far, none of the options out there are pushing me to part with my 30" ACDs. Hoping maybe next year Apple will come out with a new prosumer display, which will go nicely paired alongside whatever new iMac design, or complement the MacBook/Mac mini crowd as well as Mac Pro users who don't need the hardcore XDR. I'm crossing my fingers they'll do this after they're done milking the market for the XDR.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    aegean said:
    Between Dell and LG, I would still prefer LG 5K UltraFine as I have been using it as a second monitor with my iMac Pro, and am very happy with it.  

I won't even compare both Dell and LG with Apple's 6K display.
    Same. I'm using a brand new 23" Ultrafine at my office, and a refurb of the previous-version 27" at home (thanks AI deal-diggers!). Both are outstanding screens. It's a shame that the first batch was such a bunch of lemons and gave the line a band name.
    edited November 2019