Apple TV+ current and unscripted chief Kim Rozenfeld steps down

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited December 2019
Apple's head of current programming and unscripted shows Kim Rozenfeld is leaving the position just weeks after the launch of Apple TV+, but the executive will still be working with the iPhone maker via a first-look deal with his own production company.

The head of current scripted programming and documentary/unscripted content for Apple TV+, Kim Rozenfeld is out in favor of working on his company Half Full Productions. Rozenfeld joined Apple in mid-2017, around the same time as three other development executives, and answered to Apple TV+ bosses Zack Van Amburg and Jamie Erlicht, who were his bosses at a previous role in Sony.

Rozenfeld won't be completely separating from Apple, as part of his departure involves setting up a first-look deal with Apple for Half Full Productions, Deadline reports. The first-look deal effectively provides Apple with the first opportunity to acquire content from the production company, ahead of other media firms.

While the circumstances of Rozenfeld's departure is unclear, the signing of a first-look deal suggests it was amicable between Rozenfeld and Apple.

The two sections Rozenfeld managed will be split into two separate roles, with head of scripted development Matt Cherniss overseeing current scripted programming. Molly Thompson, who joined as head of documentaries under Rozenfeld in April, will add to her remit by overseeing documentary film and series programming, both development and current.
15ngcs1

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    I haven't looked at the full array of shows, but TV+ doesn't appear to have any "unscripted" shows at present (and neither of the previous ones were much good), so perhaps that's where Apple felt they weren't getting their money's worth with him. Glad to see some excellent documentaries; Apple's always had a good eye for them (such as the music docs on Apple Music), and The Elephant Queen looks amazing, so I hope they do more in that area and less in the way of efforts like Planet of the Apps.
    n2itivguyd_215ngcs1
  • Reply 2 of 20
    This isn’t corporate anymore. It’s Hollywood. A producer always looking for the next deal. Apple has entered a new game. Plus every Apple fan, as most civilians, has two jobs. One that pays their rent, the second being a film critic.
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 3 of 20
    chasm said:
    I haven't looked at the full array of shows, but TV+ doesn't appear to have any "unscripted" shows at present (and neither of the previous ones were much good), so perhaps that's where Apple felt they weren't getting their money's worth with him. Glad to see some excellent documentaries; Apple's always had a good eye for them (such as the music docs on Apple Music), and The Elephant Queen looks amazing, so I hope they do more in that area and less in the way of efforts like Planet of the Apps.
    speaking of, shouldn’t we be able to access these music documentaries appearing in apple music over at apple tv+? confusing to have two kinds of channels for apple shows.
    PickUrPoisonsmack416JapheyAppleExposed
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Still say it would relatively trivial for Apple to acquire Sony Pictures.
    elijahgdedgeckoAppleExposedgilly33
  • Reply 5 of 20
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Acquire all of Sony. Move all of Sony’s products to Apple platforms. Then under the Sony brand start creating HomeKit accessories. 
    SpamSandwichflyingdp
  • Reply 6 of 20
    mjtomlin said:

Acquire all of Sony. Move all of Sony’s products to Apple platforms. Then under the Sony brand start creating HomeKit accessories. 
    Not sure Sony Electronics would be at all a good fit. 
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Apple really needs a movie studio to compete as a streaming service. You can see that with how much more compelling Disney+ is with the back catalogue of Disney movies. The Pixar and Disney cartoons alone give it enormous value. So to me a combination with Sony would be a huge help for them. 
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Will Apple TV plus run on mac OS 7.6 ? I really need to upgrade to Mac OS 8.1 on my Molar Mac 
  • Reply 9 of 20
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    mjtomlin said:

Sony Electronics suck. 
  • Reply 10 of 20
    mjtomlin said:

I'm not sure if you're serious or being sarcastic but this might not be a bad idea.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    mjtomlin said:

Sony Electronics suck. 
    Sony TV's are really good - better than Samsung in my opinion.  Don't forget PS4 franchise - It's the #1 gaming console in the world. Sony Pictures. Sony is also one of the leading camera lens manufacturers for smartphone cameras, etc..
    chemengin1
  • Reply 12 of 20
    mjtomlin said:

Sony Electronics suck. 
    Sony TV's are really good - better than Samsung in my opinion.  Don't forget PS4 franchise - It's the #1 gaming console in the world. Sony Pictures. Sony is also one of the leading camera lens manufacturers for smartphone cameras, etc..

I agree. What took the photography industry by surprise is how amazing the Sony Alpha series is.

The PS3 was responsible for Blu-ray taking off and I'm looking forward to getting the PS5 next year, especially since it will finally include a 4K drive.

Sony phones (prior to the iPhone) were always interesting and the one I had boasted of a 1 Megapixel camera with a Carl Zeiss lens!

I plan on picking up a Sony 4K TV next, but I hate this trend of new TVs having Android TV and Alexa built in. I want to be able to turn my TV into a dumb display and rely on my Apple TV for the smarts. If that's not possible, I'll probably opt for a 4K projector instead.

edited November 2019
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I believe Sony’s decline began when decided they had to own a studio and bought Columbia Pictures. They should have stuck to hardware. Likewise, Apple should just be a neutral provider of everyone’s content. 
    gilly33
  • Reply 14 of 20
    chasm said:
    You do know Apple had nothing to do with The Elephant Queen, right? That's an older production, took 4 years to make, and debuted in January of this year.

• Reply 15 of 20

canukstorm said:

Yup. That, and they're the ones that moved the keyboard to the hinge side of Apple's laptops. That way people could rest their hand palms om the machine.

• Reply 16 of 20
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    mjtomlin said:

Agreed.  Low P/E and <$100B Mkt cap.  

Applony?  ;)
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 17 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    chasm said:
    The Elephant Queen is an excellent documentary as far as I am concerned. I'll probably be watching it again. Between See and that the rest of the Apple content pales in comparison. 
  • Reply 18 of 20
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    mjtomlin said:

Why would Apple want the legacy baggage of Sony?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    tokyojimu said:
    I believe Sony’s decline began when decided they had to own a studio and bought Columbia Pictures. They should have stuck to hardware. Likewise, Apple should just be a neutral provider of everyone’s content. 
    I share your view. You don’t want to get stretched too thin managing all those cogs in big corporate wheel. Apple TV+ is fine. Buying Sony pictures I don’t know about that. 
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I have tried watching the first episode of The Morning Show.  Fallen asleep both times I've tried.  I guess that is a sign the show is not for me.